Question Noctua NF-F12 PWM Keeps Running and Stopping

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Guys,

So recently, I bought a Noctua NF-F12 case fan. Initially, it worked great, but for some odd reason, it stopped running and wouldn't turn back on to keep running. The rest of my Corsair LL120 RGB fans work fine as intended. The Noctua fan is connected in the sys_fan 7 slot. So, I'm pretty stumped as to why it decides to spin constantly one day and the next completely stops out of nowhere and the cycle continues that way. Could it be a defective fan, perhaps? Thanks for any help u guys could provide.

Here's a screenshot attached of the fan settings from the BIOS. Those would also be the default settings; I never changed any fan settings.
View: https://imgur.com/rOnmOlC

My specs:
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO ATX Mid Tower Case
Motherboard: AORUS master Z590 Version F8a
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT
CPU: Intel I9-10900KF 3.70Ghz
GPU: MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB
RAM: Team T-Force Delta RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600
PSU: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000 W 80+ Titanium
SSD: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4

Solution
Yes, using that Low Noise Adapter supplied with the fan IS your problem! Noctua always supplies those with fans,and that's good and bad. IF you need it, it's good to have. It is BAD to use it wrongly. The ONLY need for that is if your fan is NOT connected to a mobo header that can adjust fan speed, and is connected instead to a PSU power output that provides ONLY full speed with NO control. THEN you can use the LNA to reduce speed to less than full. REMOVE the LNA from the fan cable connection.

Now you need to adjust settings for that SYS_FAN7/PUMP header you are using. See your manual p. 43 and make these changes (some may be right already)
Fan Speed Control Normal (uses default automatic control)
Fan Control Use Temperature Input to...

Lutfij

Titan
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
Is that the motherboard you're working with? If so, BIOS version F8a is not listed on their support site. Instead there's F8 and F9. I would update to BIOS version F9.

Clear the CMOS and see if that helps.

To clear the CMOS, disconnect from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery and then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery after 30 mins.

Could it be a defective fan, perhaps?
Does the fan behave the same way when hooked to another fan header?

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
Is that the motherboard you're working with? If so, BIOS version F8a is not listed on their support site. Instead there's F8 and F9. I would update to BIOS version F9.

Clear the CMOS and see if that helps.

To clear the CMOS, disconnect from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery and then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery after 30 mins.

Could it be a defective fan, perhaps?
Does the fan behave the same way when hooked to another fan header?
Hi Lutfij,

When you asked about the version, it is definitely in the F8 category, I just typed it as F8a as that was how it was named as when I was searching the BIOS version I was using through the "dxdiag" command. As for updating it to F9, I'm not too sure I'll be doing that as I do not want the potentiality of bricking my computer because one fan does not want to cooperate by spinning per normal operations.

As for the CMOS clearing, I didn't think bout that method but I'll give it a shot if plugging the fan in a different port doesn't just resolve it immediately. Thanks for the tips thus far.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
what rpm is the fan as ive found with the 3000 rpm 120s and 140s if you go to low in voltage and fan speed it will stop ..

I assume not enough volts so they by default wont run under 1000rpm ..

As for 1 day working next its not have you made changes to the bios ?

can you in bios get the fan to spin at all ? ( say by maxing the speed in bios to get it to work )

A fan normally needs at least
sufficient power to start it spinning.
A PWM connector works by giving the fan full 12v power, but only for a fraction of a second.
If the target speed is too low, the fan will not see enough pulses in a second to provide the usual 5w to get it spinning.
If you are using the supplied low noise adapter cables, that will also lower the voltage to the fan.
Start your fan curve lower so it will be triggered to always start the minimum speed for the fan is 300rpm.
Running a noctua fan at 600 rpm will be all but inaudible.

Last edited:

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
A fan normally needs at least
sufficient power to start it spinning.
A PWM connector works by giving the fan full 12v power, but only for a fraction of a second.
If the target speed is too low, the fan will not see enough pulses in a second to provide the usual 5w to get it spinning.
If you are using the supplied low noise adapter cables, that will also lower the vo
Start your fan curve lower so it will be triggered to always start the minimum speed for the fan is 300rpm.
Running a noctua fan at 600 rpm will be all but inaudible.
The part where u mentioned about the low noise adapter cable, I do have that plugged in with the fan. I suppose that's also something to consider probably making it stop working randomly.

The noise level difference between the standard cable and the low noise cable is extremely small....EXTREMELY.

I have had no issues running Noctua fans in the 400 to 500 rpm range constantly, without the low noise cable. You have to be careful down below that level.....a fan can seemingly work OK at a lower RPM and then stop arbitrarily.

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
The noise level difference between the standard cable and the low noise cable is extremely small....EXTREMELY.

I have had no issues running Noctua fans in the 400 to 500 rpm range constantly, without the low noise cable. You have to be careful down below that level.....a fan can seemingly work OK at a lower RPM and then stop arbitrarily.
I didn't know the low noise cable could potentially cause a problem, I just added it with the fan cause why not? Is pretty much all I thought bout at the time.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, using that Low Noise Adapter supplied with the fan IS your problem! Noctua always supplies those with fans,and that's good and bad. IF you need it, it's good to have. It is BAD to use it wrongly. The ONLY need for that is if your fan is NOT connected to a mobo header that can adjust fan speed, and is connected instead to a PSU power output that provides ONLY full speed with NO control. THEN you can use the LNA to reduce speed to less than full. REMOVE the LNA from the fan cable connection.

Now you need to adjust settings for that SYS_FAN7/PUMP header you are using. See your manual p. 43 and make these changes (some may be right already)
Fan Control Use Temperature Input to MOTHERBOARD, not the sensor inside the CPU chip.
Fan/Pump Control Mode to PWM, not Auto or Voltage (ideal for 4-pin PWM fans)
Fan/Pump Stop to DISabled - you do NOT want it to stop when cool
Fan/Pump Fail Warning to ENabled so you get an on-screen warning if it stops

Actually, you should make these SAME settings for ANY mobo fan header used to control case ventilation fans.

When you are done, use the Esc key back to Main Menu, then F10 to get to the Exit Menu (p. 64). There choose SAVE and EXIT Setup to save your new settings and reboot.

Reactions: Androshi
Solution

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014

Fan Control Use Temperature Input to MOTHERBOARD, not the sensor inside the CPU chip.
Fan/Pump Control Mode to PWM, not Auto or Voltage (ideal for 4-pin PWM fans)
Fan/Pump Stop to DISabled - you do NOT want it to stop when cool
Fan/Pump Fail Warning to ENabled so you get an on-screen warning if it stops

Actually, you should make these SAME settings for ANY mobo fan header used to control case ventilation fans.

When you are done, use the Esc key back to Main Menu, then F10 to get to the Exit Menu (p. 64). There choose SAVE and EXIT Setup to save your new settings and reboot.
Hi Paperdoc,

I just saw your response, but I did make some minor adjustments based on everyone's previous thoughts. I removed the low noise cable and decided to move it over to SYS_FAN8 because better than nothing in terms of testing. As for the settings you mentioned, I'll take a look at that as I typically leave things on default. Thanks.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Among my suggestions above, the one that makes the most difference is which temperatures sensor is used to guide that SYS_FAN header. For case ventilation fans is SHOULD be the sensor on the mobo. The manual says that all the fan headers on that mobo are set by default to the sensor inside the CPU chip, which is not suitable for case ventilation.

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
Among my suggestions above, the one that makes the most difference is which temperatures sensor is used to guide that SYS_FAN header. For case ventilation fans is SHOULD be the sensor on the mobo. The manual says that all the fan headers on that mobo are set by default to the sensor inside the CPU chip, which is not suitable for case ventilation.
Alright. Should I also assume that regardless if I am using Corsair's commander core which is hooked up into several fans the settings you mentioned remain the same regardless?

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
Just a update - changed settings recommended by Paperdoc and also consulted manual. After removing low noise cable + switching it to SYS_FAN8 so far "looks" fine but will update further a day or two.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
"I am using Corsair's commander core which is hooked up into several fans" is a whole new wrinkle! The Commander Core unit is two Hubs in one box - one for fan MOTORS, the other for the LIGHTS in the fan frames. Each fan has two cables from it for these functions, and the Commander Core has rows of sockets on each side for those two sets of cables. It gets power for all its devices from the PSU, and needs a cable connected to a mobo USB2 header. You must run the Corsair utility iCUE on your machine, and it uses that USB2 connection to communicate with the Commander Core. This unit completely takes over power and control functions for both the motors and the lights of all fans connected to it. Any fan connect to this unit is NOT being controlled by any mobo header or configuration tool.

OP, we have been talking about a Noctua fan connected to SYS_FAN7/PUMP, moved recently to SYS_FAN8. IF it is connected there, then what I advised is correct. But any fans NOT connected to mobo headers are not controlled that way. Now, it IS possible that you might connect the MOTOR cable from one fan to a mobo header while connecting the LIGHT cable from that fan to the Commander Core, but you did not say you have done that.

One piece of my advice does apply for all uses of the Commander Core. The mobo has two temperature sensors available to guide fan speed control: one inside the CPU chip, and another on the mobo. The Commander Core also comes with its own two temperature probes that you can mount where you like. Within iCUE I expect for each output port for a fan motor that you can specify which sensor it uses for that fan. In general, all case ventilation fans should use the MOBO temp sensor.

So, for fan MOTORS, WHERE you control those depends on where the fan motor cable is plugged in. Similarly and separately, where you control the LIGHTS in a fan depends also on where the light cable for it is plugged in.

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
"I am using Corsair's commander core which is hooked up into several fans" is a whole new wrinkle! The Commander Core unit is two Hubs in one box - one for fan MOTORS, the other for the LIGHTS in the fan frames. Each fan has two cables from it for these functions, and the Commander Core has rows of sockets on each side for those two sets of cables. It gets power for all its devices from the PSU, and needs a cable connected to a mobo USB2 header. You must run the Corsair utility iCUE on your machine, and it uses that USB2 connection to communicate with the Commander Core. This unit completely takes over power and control functions for both the motors and the lights of all fans connected to it. Any fan connect to this unit is NOT being controlled by any mobo header or configuration tool.

OP, we have been talking about a Noctua fan connected to SYS_FAN7/PUMP, moved recently to SYS_FAN8. IF it is connected there, then what I advised is correct. But any fans NOT connected to mobo headers are not controlled that way. Now, it IS possible that you might connect the MOTOR cable from one fan to a mobo header while connecting the LIGHT cable from that fan to the Commander Core, but you did not say you have done that.

One piece of my advice does apply for all uses of the Commander Core. The mobo has two temperature sensors available to guide fan speed control: one inside the CPU chip, and another on the mobo. The Commander Core also comes with its own two temperature probes that you can mount where you like. Within iCUE I expect for each output port for a fan motor that you can specify which sensor it uses for that fan. In general, all case ventilation fans should use the MOBO temp sensor.

So, for fan MOTORS, WHERE you control those depends on where the fan motor cable is plugged in. Similarly and separately, where you control the LIGHTS in a fan depends also on where the light cable for it is plugged in.
I understand. Thanks for the additional info.