Question Noctua NH-D15 offset mounting feature ?

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
I plan on building a new system with the 7800X3D and ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-Plus WiFi motherboard...I plan to use the Noctua DH-15 air cooler (not the new G2 version but the older model)...I want to be able to use the offset mounting feature where it shifts it slightly down off-center to better cool the CCD

but my concern is would that effect the M.2 slot or main GPU slot?...I want to use the Samsung 990 Pro with included heatsink along with the ASUS TUF Gaming 4080 Super...anyone use the DH-15 offset with this board and an NVMe with heatsink in the 1st M.2 slot and a beefy Nvidia GPU in the main GPU slot?...any issues with clearance?...I attached a pic of the Asus motherboard so you can get a better picture of the layout...

zHRfLwth.png

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
NH-D15S. Better cooler overall. The original is inferior, save for cooling potential, and that's not by a lot.

The M.2 slot above the primary x16 has just been a poor implementation; next to no access to fresh air, and the gpu just heats it up.

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
You won't be able to access the M.2 slot without removing the cooler, which may or may not be a big deal to you, and you'll have to live with small gaps of wiggle room in the millimeters.

Forget offsetting, that really isn't an option for that cooler as @Phaaze88 points out.

Assuming you have decent airflow with the rest of your system, you should be okay.

with the cooler in the offset position, if I remove the GPU first will I then be able to access the M.2?

what about with the cooler in the standard (non-offset) position?...will there be any issues accessing the M.2 slot in the future if I want to install a new SSD?...or is it a problem with both mounting positions?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I stand corrected, there is an offset mounting option for AM5 motherboards:

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15

You are just going to have to try it in your build to see how it may/may not interfere with the motherboard components or GPU. Looks like it moves the cooler 7mm.

I would install the SSD before installing the cooler. How often do you plan to remove it?

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
I forgot that I'm using a Samsung 990 Pro which is a PCIe 4.0 SSD so I don't need to use that top M.2 slot at the top of the board...I can use the one at the bottom of the board (which is PCIe 4.0 only)...the top M.2 is PCIe 5.0 compatible

I'm assuming I can use the bottom M.2 slot without any issues as far as performance?

that would eliminate any issues with the top M.2 slot as far as it being tough to reach or install/uninstall a new SSD...I asked earlier but if I use the top M.2 slot (above the GPU), can I easily install/uninstall that SSD just by removing the GPU?...or do I also have to remove the CPU cooler as well?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I forgot that I'm using a Samsung 990 Pro which is a PCIe 4.0 SSD so I don't need to use that top M.2 slot at the top of the board...I can use the one at the bottom of the board (which is PCIe 4.0 only)...the top M.2 is PCIe 5.0 compatible

I'm assuming I can use the bottom M.2 slot without any issues as far as performance?

that would eliminate any issues with the top M.2 slot as far as it being tough to reach or install/uninstall a new SSD...I asked earlier but if I use the top M.2 slot (above the GPU), can I easily install/uninstall that SSD just by removing the GPU?...or do I also have to remove the CPU cooler as well?
Use the m.2 socket closest to the CPU, for best performance (lanes thing). You should be able to remove the SSD without removing the cooler I would think (only the GPU).

It just may a little awkward.