[SOLVED] Noctua NH-L9i NOT compatible with LGA 1151

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nyphrodel

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2013
I recently upgraded the ps in my Alienware Aurora R7 from a 460w to 850w to get better performance from my GTX 1080. Next, I wanted a new cpu cooler/fan because it was too loud and it was getting a little too hot at times and I figured I would now need the extra cooling with the upgrade. First, I replaced the top and side fans and then purchased a low profile Noctua NH-L9i for the cpu cooler because there isn't much room in this particular case. I thought that I had all of my bases covered: it was small enough for this case and it listed my Intel LGA 1151 as compatible on Noctua's compatibility list. Well, it does NOT work. The mounting screws are either too short or too small. Here's what happens: They screw into the backplate, but then stop at the unthreaded shank which is wider than the threads. Don't I need to be able to pull the shank through so the threads screw into the mounting brackets of the Noctua cooler? I've seen where others have bored out the holes on this mb to make them big enough to fit other setups, but I really don't want to go that route. I thought maybe I could get Noctua to send me out some mounting screws that fit, but I'm sick and tired of parts not working and then only being able to email the company and wait patiently for a response. Who knows when that will be...? Then the screws they send out might not fit either (that's just how my luck runs) I'm only impatient because I've removed my stock cooler and I don't want to reinstall it because I don't want to put thermal paste on it again and again...I originally purchased a Macho Rev. C that didn't fit either, so my system's been taken apart for almost 2 weeks now and it's driving me crazy!

Does anybody have any ideas? Me and my pc are both down for the count because I just had surgery where they removed all of the hardware from when I broke my ankle a year ago, so I'm laid up with no pc and I'm going stir crazy! PLEASE HELP!

Solution
This was actually my first thought as you'll read in my original post. I've heard/read that a lot of these companies will overnight the necessary parts/screws out to you to make it work. Keep the customer happy, right? I'd really rather go this route because the way this backplate is damn near glued to the mb, I've been very afraid of damage.

Thanks for making me look back and reconsider the situation. I'll start there and give it a day or two and see how they respond.😊 If I have to wait too much longer, I'll take your advice and buy some temporary screws that fit.
If you had access to the proper cutting device, like a Dremel, or other wheel of death (or a friend with same), you could remove those 4 "tabs" on the Dell bracket...
The noctua NH-L9i does not USE a backplate. It is a backplate-less design.

As to the rest of thread which I was asked to take a look at, I will do so tomorrow and let you know what I can determine from what I've read. But for the backplate, that was totally not even necessary.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The noctua NH-L9i does not USE a backplate. It is a backplate-less design.

As to the rest of thread which I was asked to take a look at, I will do so tomorrow and let you know what I can determine from what I've read. But for the backplate, that was totally not even necessary.
Yep, read the whole thread. There definitely (was) a backplate issue, that has been resolved. Now an apparent fan detection issue.

Nyphrodel

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2013
No, it is considerably smaller. I believe the original is an 80mm and the Noctua is 92mm. I was going to try to put it on the Noctua heatsink even though it is one of the main reasons for the noise. So I'm glad it doesn't fit, I'd hate to put it on there in a weak moment.

Is the fan on the original cooler the same size as the one on the Noctua?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
No, it is considerably smaller. I believe the original is an 80mm and the Noctua is 92mm. I was going to try to put it on the Noctua heatsink even though it is one of the main reasons for the noise. So I'm glad it doesn't fit, I'd hate to put it on there in a weak moment.
Understood. Couldn't tell from picture. It seems like you might be able to find a genuine Dell PWM fan on Amazon and try a fan swap.

Yep, read the whole thread. There definitely (was) a backplate issue, that has been resolved. Now an apparent fan detection issue.
I have to ask, how could there be a backplate issue on a unit that isn't supposed to be used with a backplate? It doesn't even matter what motherboard is being used, Dell, Asus, Biostar, whatever, it is not meant to be used with a backplate.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have to ask, how could there be a backplate issue on a unit that isn't supposed to be used with a backplate? It doesn't even matter what motherboard is being used, Dell, Asus, Biostar, whatever, it is not meant to be used with a backplate.
The backplate for the CPU retention lock was integrated with the CPU backplate. Those lobes prevented mounting the Noctua. She removed the four lobes and then mounted the Noctua properly.

Issue now seems to be fan related.

I see. Well, yes, that would make a difference.

Am aware of the fan issues and have suggested that for 100% confirmation it would be a good idea to reach out to Dell support AND to the Dell user forums, where there are likely some folks that can assure 100% one way or the other on the pinout for THAT specific motherboard, because I've come up with zeros on tracking down anything definitive on the CPU and chassis fan header pinouts for that board. Usually we can find something on it, but I'm not seeing anything for that board really that specifies one way or the other. A few vague references that it MIGHT be a standard pinout, but considering that practically all other Dell motherboards have largely proprietary designs, as with the CPU rention lock backplate, and just about every other Dell board's fan headers, I'm pretty skeptical about saying one way or the other without some much more reliable confirmations that the pinout is one way or the other.

Sorry Col, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers regarding the backplate.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I see. Well, yes, that would make a difference.

Am aware of the fan issues and have suggested that for 100% confirmation it would be a good idea to reach out to Dell support AND to the Dell user forums, where there are likely some folks that can assure 100% one way or the other on the pinout for THAT specific motherboard, because I've come up with zeros on tracking down anything definitive on the CPU and chassis fan header pinouts for that board. Usually we can find something on it, but I'm not seeing anything for that board really that specifies one way or the other. A few vague references that it MIGHT be a standard pinout, but considering that practically all other Dell motherboards have largely proprietary designs, as with the CPU rention lock backplate, and just about every other Dell board's fan headers, I'm pretty skeptical about saying one way or the other without some much more reliable confirmations that the pinout is one way or the other.

Sorry Col, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers regarding the backplate.
All good. Always a good thing to have more eyes on issues. Part of this is truly caused by Dell's wonkiness (use of proprietary parts).

Nyphrodel

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2013
@COLGeek @Darkbreeze I can't begin to explain how grateful I am to the both of you for your help. I posted on DELL's boards and I'll let you know as soon as I hear any decent responses. If you're interested in checking it out, I posted it under 'After Market Cooling for Aurora R7' and I'm the same username over there too. I've been a community member over there for about 8 years now I think...

Looks like that user knows that board well. I certainly don't understand, nor have I ever encountered any system where the fans had to be a specific brand or rpm in order to avoid errors, but honestly with Dell it doesn't surprise me. Nothing would surprise me coming from them. After this, you will be forewarned. Next time, buy the parts. I'll walk you through any part of the build you need help with but by then you might very well have enough experience with upgrades and customizations that you will already have had enough experience to do it mostly on your own anyhow.

Let us know if the fan issue is resolved with the Corsair unit, and if there is anything else currently still in question that hasn't been addressed on one of these two forums please note that with specifics so we can take a look at it.

Nyphrodel

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2013
Yes, as much as I don't know about this type of thing, it is unfathomable to me that ANY company would use such underhanded tactics. I'm just so pleased that we have forums like this and like the one at DELL where we can discuss these things openly. If not for the other users and their experiences with such things, I don't know what we'd do. I'm just hoping that if I install the Corsair fan, it will take care of the cpu fan error #2000-0511. If not, I think I'll be looking at a wiring problem and then I'll probably need to use the converter that was mentioned on the DELL forums but I honestly don't understand the part about the conversion itself: are my motherboard fan headers standard? If so, then I shouldn't need a converter, correct? If the fan headers are not standard, then do I need to use the converter to go from the standard 4-pin to the DELL 5-pin version like in the diagram? Omg, my head is spinning o_O I think I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it...

The best part of this whole thing is that it's really getting my brain going again and I think that means that it's starting to rewire itself, and with any luck, I'll get back to where I was before my bout with cancer and chemotherapy. But I have to tell you how awesome I felt to read, "Next time, buy the parts. I'll walk you through any part of the build you need help with but by then you might very well have enough experience with upgrades and customizations that you will already have had enough experience to do it mostly on your own anyhow." Reading those words from you, made it all worthwhile for me right there, so thank you. It tells me that I AM getting there, slowly but surely. Best of all is that you would walk me through it. Because my next pc? I will build it myself!

Looks like that user knows that board well. I certainly don't understand, nor have I ever encountered any system where the fans had to be a specific brand or rpm in order to avoid errors, but honestly with Dell it doesn't surprise me. Nothing would surprise me coming from them. After this, you will be forewarned. Next time, buy the parts. I'll walk you through any part of the build you need help with but by then you might very well have enough experience with upgrades and customizations that you will already have had enough experience to do it mostly on your own anyhow.

Let us know if the fan issue is resolved with the Corsair unit, and if there is anything else currently still in question that hasn't been addressed on one of these two forums please note that with specifics so we can take a look at it.

Based on the information from that thread, I'd return the Corsair fan and get your money back. Then I'd buy one of these:

https://www.newegg.com/phanteks-ph-pwhub-02-black/p/N82E16811984030

And connect it to the FRONT_FAN header, and then connect any and all case fans you wish to run to the Phanteks controller and not have to deal with a 3 pin Corsair fan that is going to run at full speed at all times, no variable speed control, just to avoid getting a BIOS error message. Since they say that these are all standard PWM fan headers, and that there are no error problems regardless of fan or connection type on the FRONT_FAN header, then just don't USE the TOP_FAN header. Use one of these and connect all your case fans to it. Then of course just connect your CPU cooler fan as normal to the CPU_FAN header. That should solve everything AND save you a few bucks, depending on where you got that fan from.

Or, you could still keep that fan if you wish and use it if maybe it's better than another fan you have. That controller works with both 3 pin and 4 pin fans so it doesn't matter whether your fans are DC or PWM controlled they will work with it for variable speed control based on the RPM signal of whichever fan is connected to the "FAN 1" header on the controller. The only requirement is that you have a free SATA power connector off of the power supply, and if you don't, which you should since you replaced the power supply I believe, then you can use a 4 pin Molex to SATA adapter to connect the fan hub.

That would be my suggestion.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Dell has a nasty habit of swapping wires on the cpu_fan header. Aftermarket all use GND/12v/Sense/PWM. Dell often swaps that to PWM/GND/12v/Sense. (Black/Red/Yellow/Blue becomes Blue/Black/Red/Yellow)

Meaning the Noctua will most likely spin, but the sense wire gets no rpm reading from the fan, which trips the low/no rpm warning. I'd check the pinout from the old fan against the new fan. Amazon does sell adapters to physically change the pinout location, but if you are comfortable, you can do so yourself.

We've already been through this if you visit the link to the Dell forum that is right there in her post a few posts up. You know, right where I asked her for the link to that thread on the Dell forum? LOL.

This board has all standard PWM headers based on the conversation over there. Plus, the problem she's having has absolutely nothing to do with that.

The problem isn't the pinout. The problem is the sneaky, backhanded use of what should be illegal firmware behavior by Dell because the BIOS throws errors when it sees ANY fan with an RPM signature that differs from the original Dell supplied fan when used on the TOP_FAN header, thus, using a controller on the FRONT_FAN header which does not have that issue.

Nyphrodel

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2013
Before I close out this thread, I thought that I should respond to this so that others will know what to expect when reaching out to Noctua for support for one of their products. At least this is what to expect if you've got a Dell system with proprietary components. I was really hoping for more than this but Noctua support was not particularly helpful. Honestly, this surprised me because I had read of many positive instances online and in forums where other like myself had reached out to a manufacturer because of an issue like a backplate not fitting or screws that were too large/small or long/short. More often than not, the manufacturer would send out the proper sized screws or a different backplate...problem solved. In my opinion, this would seem to be the smartest move from a business standpoint and an inexpensive one at that. Keep the customer happy, right? As you will see, this didn't happen in my case. I explained exactly what I was dealing with and what I had done so far to resolve the issue on my own. Here is the response that I received from Noctua:

xiDy5j4.jpg

So, since Dell and other big OEMs are diverting from set standards more and more, simple installs such as this cooler won't be so simple anymore and we'll receive support from companies such as Noctua less and less. I just thought you guys might like to know...
@Darkbreeze
@Karadjgne
@geofelt
@COLGeek
@DSzymborski

Contact noctua support and explain your problem.
They are very good and will likely ship you a solution free of charge.
Likely, that will be a set of mounting screws of appropriate configuration.

In the mean time, why not go to Home depot and find some stainless steel screws that fit.

Nyphrodel

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2013
Well @COLGeek , as I've said before, I can't thank you enough for your help. I was so relieved when I first saw that it was you that responded to my thread... If it wasn't for your suggestion, I would never have had the nerve to try this mod. I don't quite have the confidence that I did once upon a time. Previously, it had crossed my mind but when you suggested it, it actually seemed possible and suddenly it wasn't quite so scary. Although I ran into additional trouble following the mod, it was the modification itself that was the answer to this original problem. So thanks for giving me the nudge in the right direction with your suggestion. I pulled it off! :vip:

If you had access to the proper cutting device, like a Dremel, or other wheel of death (or a friend with same), you could remove those 4 "tabs" on the Dell bracket, keeping just the part affixed to the CPU retention device. This would allow you to properly mount the Noctua with the included hardware.

Kudos all the way around to you for accomplishing the deed, and to the COL for his recommendations and assistance.

Unfortunately, in this case I actually DON'T feel like Noctua is to blame, because they are right. These coolers and most aftermarket products are meant for use with standard configurations, and Dell, Lenovo, HP, eMachines, Gateway, Compaq and other OEMs have historically not been very good about adhering to any sort of standards when it comes to form factors, dimensions or electrical specifications. That is not the fault of the aftermarket hardware manufacturer. It's the fault of the OEM for senselessly deciding to be proprietary and it is our own fault in cases where we failed to educate ourselves in this area well enough from the start to avoid such situations to begin with. Obviously, it's not something the average person would even think about usually so it's easily forgiven, but once you know, you can avoid such things in the future and this is exactly why we generally recommend that users retain control of such factors by either purchasing standardized systems or building themselves.

Fortunately it seems to have worked out suitably well enough in your case, for which I'm grateful, and thanks also to the fellow over on the Dell forum who was actually helpful with validation of the fan headers being standard PWM. Not so much to the other guy who just kept posting the same junk that didn't really validate anything and actually created more questions that it would have answered.

Glad you got it all sorted after all though. Best of luck to you. Next time, you know where to find us right from the start.