[SOLVED] Noctua nh-u12S and 9700k - temps seem too high

pcgamer_4123

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hi all,

I've recently installed a Noctua NH-U12S chromax on my 9700k, and under prime95 small FFTs I seem to be getting unusually high temps - like 96-97 within 5 minutes @ 4.6ghz (stock). The fan under load hovers around 1,500 RPM. Is this normal? I would have expected somewhere in the vicinity of ~85. I'm not sure if I've messed up the thermal paste application or need to adjust the fan profile, or perhaps the mobo is upping the voltage too much automatically. I'm around 34 at idle and ~400 RPM - running everything at stock. I know the S is a slim cooler - am I expecting too much? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
You may be expecting too much.
34c. at idle is very good. Your mount is probably well done.
It is hard to go wrong with a noctua mount.

What is the make/model of your case?
Is the cooler getting an adequate supply of fresh intake air?
Is there a hot graphics card involved?

What are your temperatures under normal load?
If you are under 80c. I would not worry.
It takes 100c. for the processor to throttle.
If I were you, I'd remove the NH-U12S, clean it and the CPU, reapply thermal paste to the CPU, and re-seat the NH-U12S. Also, when it is removed, make sure the standoffs are completely screwed into the backplate.

Edit: I'm not sure if the NH-U12S has standoffs, so if it doesn't, ignore that part :)

Reactions: pcgamer_4123
Solution

pcgamer_4123

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010

Case is a Corsair Crystal 570X with stock fans
There is a Gigabyte RTX 2070 WindForce 3X in there as well

I've been monitoring temps whilst gaming e.g. PUBG + OBS recording is ~62, and its been sitting ~38c while idle as the weather heats up here as well. You're right, I think I was expecting a little too much.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Siusiujuju

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Hi all,

I've recently installed a Noctua NH-U12S chromax on my 9700k, and under prime95 small FFTs I seem to be getting unusually high temps - like 96-97 within 5 minutes @ 4.6ghz (stock). The fan under load hovers around 1,500 RPM. Is this normal? I would have expected somewhere in the vicinity of ~85. I'm not sure if I've messed up the thermal paste application or need to adjust the fan profile, or perhaps the mobo is upping the voltage too much automatically. I'm around 34 at idle and ~400 RPM - running everything at stock. I know the S is a slim cooler - am I expecting too much? Thanks.
if you're concern about the auto voltage, why don't take a read from like Coretemp?
these 96/97 do seems worrying high, but you are putting your CPU through the worst case scenario where it's almost never gonna happen in your day to day usage , so as long as you're not overclocking and gaming temp are fine ,don't worry about it.

Hi all,

The Prime 95 torture test will push the 9700k to 200 watts at stock clocks, turbo boost only (no OC) and the NH-U12s has 140 watt TDP rating IIRC. You're expecting too much from the cooler. You should have got the NH-U14s or bigger if you want to push it that hard. Under normal use yours should be fine. With 34C idle temp there's no reason to suspect it was mounted improperly. You bought a small cooler. It is what it is.