Noctua PPC 2000RPM vs Alpenföehn WingBoost 2 for case fans.

Daucco

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I'm in the process of upgrading my case's fans -right now LianLi Armorsuit PC P80 with stock 140mm-blue led-noisy-fans-, and after a bit of research I've found this Alpenföehn WingBoost 2 that seems to match perfectly with my needs: dead silent -underlined because that's my main priority here-, good air flow range (about 100m3/h ~ 60CFM), fair price (~12€/e at my local HW store), and nice aesthetics (not that I care about that, but that's a plus).

But then, when I was convinced and about to buy them, I stumbled upon what seems a good deal to me. Some guy is selling four Noctua NF-A14 2000 PWM (used but boxed) for a total of 52€, which is about the same pricing as for the four Alpen's.

Since noise is my main concern I've been looking for some related tests around Youtube and this is what I've come with:

Alpenföehn WingBoost 2 (140mm):

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkeZ1GNQwcI"][/video]

Noctua NF-A14 2000 PWM:

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZkW3tmuyWM"][/video]

Definitely those 2000RPM are way overkill for me, but since they are PWM fans I'll be able to scale it's speed down to about 900-1000RPM, close to the noise levels of the Alpenföehn and -according to the review- pushing around 10CFM more.

Anyways, I still don't know if the Noctuas are actually a good choice for my rig. They're just too noisy at higher rpm's to take the extra roof that those fans can provide as an actual thing. I won't be using that kind of power unless I become totally deaf.

I know that when it comes to build quality, Noctua tends to be one step forward, but the Alpe's seems fairly solid to me, and they're PWM too, so I'll be able to scale them down just like the Noctuas.

So, as a last resort I appeal to the knowledge of this community to clear my mind.

Also, hey!, Ima new, hallo! :)

Solution
I personally have the Noctua PPC-F12s and they are inaudible and work very well with my radiator. Aplenfoehn is very close to Noctua in terms of airflow and silence but build quality isn't as tried and tested. Either one will do.

dottorrent

Honorable
I personally have the Noctua PPC-F12s and they are inaudible and work very well with my radiator. Aplenfoehn is very close to Noctua in terms of airflow and silence but build quality isn't as tried and tested. Either one will do.

Solution

Daucco

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

Thanks for your reply!

I finally went with the Noctuas. As I said the price is pretty much the same, and I'm getting a bit more of quality and head room, just in case I get crazy :p

Anyhow I think I'm gonna use this PPC's with my radiator (3x140) and install the ones I'm using right now as case fans. Those are Noctuas NF-A14, and since the specs of both models are pretty much the same at low rpms, it will be a good idea to leave the higher rpm capable fans as radiator fans.