News Noctua shows off pumpless AIO liquid cooler prototype that uses evaporative cooling

You may wish to edit the first sentence in the body of the article: Noctua is based in Austria, so its not legally German although they may speak the same language; and they only design products so they're technically not a manufacturer. They refer to their products as "Designed in Austria".

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Ah, Austria!

giphy.webp

Reactions: 35below0
The tech is sound and if they're working with Calyos they should be able to fast track it relatively speaking. They created that ill fated Kickstarter for the big passive case which Streacom took over and is manufacturing as the SG10. It has sounded like the big problem is manufacturing the case itself and that the passive cooling aspect has been fine.

From what I understand the big thing for this cooler from Noctua will be getting the right amount of radiator mass and liquid flow design. This is the exact sort of cooler I'd love to have as it gives you the benefit of moving the heat away from the CPU/GPU while not having a pump to potentially break down.

This also raises the question of what percentage of users have cases that will allow mounting horizontally in the top of the case since it depends on gravity. Those users who are limited to or prefer to mount their coolers vertically on the front or side of the case would seem to be excluded.

t3t4

Prominent
Sep 5, 2023
Don't expect this product to hit store shelves anytime soon

I don't expect this product to work very well let alone be in stock or sell at a competitive price! The idea is about as old as dinosaur bones now, but at least I can drive my car on those. I don't believe for a second this cooler could cool my 13900k at anything more than idle!

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024
I don't expect this product to work very well let alone be in stock or sell at a competitive price! The idea is about as old as dinosaur bones now, but at least I can drive my car on those. I don't believe for a second this cooler could cool my 13900k at anything more than idle!
You realize that's kinda how normal air coolers works as well right? Why would they not be able to cool a 13900k?

t3t4

Prominent
Sep 5, 2023
You realize that's kinda how normal air coolers works as well right? Why would they not be able to cool a 13900k?
Because of the obvious physics, well, obvious to me. No air cooler can keep a 13900k, cool, and those "hoses" are gonna be a problem. Mark my words, wait for the 3rd party test results and then it should all make sense.

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024
Because of the obvious physics, well, obvious to me. No air cooler can keep a 13900k, cool, and those "hoses" are gonna be a problem. Mark my words, wait for the 3rd party test results and then it should all make sense.
Was cooling mine on a U12A. 41100 cbr23 score at 85c. Didn't see any issue. In gaming scenarios of course it was hovering at mid 60ies

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Agreed! The pumpless solution just seems to incorporate the downside of both solutions, without the upside of either.

The downside in air cooling is that the conduction of heat isn't as good as it would be by use of a liquid. I mean real liquid, not just evaporative cooling or condensing liquids. The upside is no need to mount an "external" radiator, no tubing.

The weakness in water cooling is that cycling water needs to be cooled quickly putting demands on a bigger radiator with multiple fans, and figuring out where the tubes have to be run. The upside is cool water flowing next to the CPU.

This solution: No water, still using condensing liquids. Still requires tubing and radiator. Additional downside: Requires gravity assist to work correctly so this will limit the configuration of the radiator and tubing. I also agree those tubes will be a bottleneck in the heat transfer.

Reactions: t3t4

t3t4

Prominent
Sep 5, 2023
Agreed! The pumpless solution just seems to incorporate the downside of both solutions, without the upside of either.

The downside in air cooling is that the conduction of heat isn't as good as it would be by use of a liquid. I mean real liquid, not just evaporative cooling or condensing liquids. The upside is no need to mount an "external" radiator, no tubing.

The weakness in water cooling is that cycling water needs to be cooled quickly putting demands on a bigger radiator with multiple fans, and figuring out where the tubes have to be run. The upside is cool water flowing next to the CPU.

This solution: No water, still using condensing liquids. Still requires tubing and radiator. Additional downside: Requires gravity assist to work correctly so this will limit the configuration of the radiator and tubing. I also agree those tubes will be a bottleneck in the heat transfer.

I'm just waiting for high pressure phase change cooling for finally hit the consumer space. If the world keeps dumping more and more power into the same old architect, then it's going to take "cold" water to cool these chips. Ambient air just can't keep up, we need an actual high pressure phase change water cooler, or, just some really cold air!

There was a PC case once upon a time that had a built in air conditioner, I don't remember who made it, but we need to get back to that if things keep going the direction they have been.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The problem is that if they cool too much you end up with water condensation inside the PC so that complicates things by necessitating some kind of monitoring. Also, I could be wrong, if you want to cool heat generated from a 300w device (actually cool it - not just blow it away with a fan) it's going to take another 300w in energy.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The problem is that if they cool too much you end up with water condensation inside the PC so that complicates things by necessitating some kind of monitoring. Also, I could be wrong, if you want to cool heat generated from a 300w device (actually cool it - not just blow it away with a fan) it's going to take another 300w in energy.
This type of cooler can't cool below ambient, so condensation isn't a concern.

The only power this cooler requires is to run the fans, so definitely won't be consuming anywhere near 300W. Not sure what you mean by "actually cool it - not just blow it away with a fan". The heat you're removing from the CPU has to go somewhere.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
This type of cooler can't cool below ambient, so condensation isn't a concern.

The only power this cooler requires is to run the fans, so definitely won't be consuming anywhere near 300W. Not sure what you mean by "actually cool it - not just blow it away with a fan". The heat you're removing from the CPU has to go somewhere.
My comment was referring to @t3t4's dream of "high pressure phase change cooling". I didn't quote his/her comment within mine since his was right before mine, so my bad. The 300w thing is in reference to any cooling solution that actually counters the heat through active cooling (such as refrigeration, or some kind of Peltier device.

The idea that this pumpless AOI could cool below ambient is quite laughable -- I pointed out it's many flaws in a previous post.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

t3t4

Prominent
Sep 5, 2023
My comment was referring to @t3t4's dream of "high pressure phase change cooling".

Dream of hi PSI cooling?

Do some homework would ya? It's been on the market and readily available almost ever since the dawn of servers! It's already been built into a consumer PC case! It's time for you to wake up to reality, because it's already here! Just because you have not heard of it does not make it news! It's actually ancient history.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Dream of hi PSI cooling?

Do some homework would ya? It's been on the market and readily available almost ever since the dawn of servers! It's already been built into a consumer PC case! It's time for you to wake up to reality, because it's already here! Just because you have not heard of it does not make it news! It's actually ancient history.
Can you provide a source or examples of "high pressure phase change cooling" technology or products for computers? A brief search wasn't turning anything up for me.

t3t4

Prominent
Sep 5, 2023
All Freon based phase change cooling is high pressure as far as I am aware. They usually range from about 200 psi to over 1000 psi depending on the type of Freon and the system design. The kitchen refrigerator, the window air conditioner, the chest freezer, they are all high psi phase change coolers.

Reactions: TJ Hooker