assgrabber2

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
i want a really quiet cpu cooler, i mean quiet when it's at high rpm

i just don't understand how these dBA or Sone mean...sometime i see 50 dBA, wthikle some only 17dBA.....i looked into one in newegg that has only 17dBA & a Zalman that is 20-32 dBA.... which one better.....plz help

thx in advance

I'm with assgrabber on this one. Does anyone have a list of noise? What sounds like 20dba or 50dba? I need to add two case fans to my case, but I'm not sure how loud loud is. I've seen some 80 and 120mm fans that are in the 30dba range that can move 40+cfm, but I don't know how loud 30dba is.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/dB.html#definition

Pretty involved site...

But each 10 dba increase is roughly a doubling of the percieved loudness level. So a fan rated at 0 dba vs. a fan rated at 10 dba, the fan at 10 dba would be twice as loud... And a 20 dba fan would be fourtimes as loud, and so on. I seem to remember that a jet engine at 1000 meters was about 110 dba, but don't quote me on that.

mrmez

Splendid
194 Theoretical limit for a sound wave at 1 atmosphere environmental pressure; pressure waves with a greater intensity behave as shock waves.
188 Space Shuttle liftoff as heard from launch tower (less than 100 feet) [1] [2].
180 Krakatoa volcano explosion at 1 mile (1.6 km) in air [3]
160 M1 Garand being fired at 1 meter (3 ft); Space Shuttle liftoff as heard from launch pad perimeter (approx. 1500 feet) [4] [5].
150 Jet engine at 30 m (100 ft)
140 Low Calibre Rifle being fired at 1m (3 ft); the engine of a Formula One car at 1 meter (3 ft)
130 Threshold of pain; civil defense siren at 100 ft (30 m)
120 Space Shuttle from three mile mark, closest one can view launch.[6] [7]. Train horn at 1 m (3 ft). Many foghorns produce around this volume.
120 Concert of music, louder if indoors.
110 Football stadium during kickoff at 50 yard line; chainsaw at 1 m (3 ft)
100 Jackhammer at 2 m (7 ft); inside discothèque
90 Loud factory, heavy truck at 1 m (3 ft), kitchen blender
80 Vacuum cleaner at 1 m (3 ft), curbside of busy street, PLVI of city
70 Busy traffic at 5 m (16 ft)
60 Office or restaurant inside
50 Quiet restaurant inside
40 Residential area at night
30 Theatre, no talking
20 Whispering
10 Human breathing at 3 m (10 ft)
0 Threshold of human hearing (with healthy ears); sound of a mosquito flying 3 m (10 ft) away

A 3 dB increase in the level of continuous noise doubles the sound power, however experimentation has determined that the response of the human ear results in a perceived doubling of loudness for approximately every 10 dB increase (part of Stevens' power law).

I think thats what ur after.

More importantly, you are looking for a HSF that is quiet at HIGH RPM. This can be very difficult to find. You are best off 'making your own hsf'.
I believe the Tuniq Tower is very good. Get rid of those 120mm fans, and get the biggest fan u can fit in your case, 200mm if possble. Use two, and build a intake and outtake venturi to channel the air. This will achive your goal of of quite, while maintaining good temps.

Bottom line... u cannot get low noise from high RPM

L8RR

Thanks for the list, that was what I was looking for. I was correct that I want to find fans that move lots of air, without going over 30dba to much. I'll also need to change the hsf on my x1800xt, as I'm starting to notice it while watching TV. So many projects, so little time...

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I would get a Delta GFB1212VHW, there near silent. Watch this youtube video an you'll understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXfncyyenmE

:D

But seriously, maybe a couple of these Yate Loons, they push a decent amount of air for the amount of noice they produce (28 dba). Theres also the option of getting a couple normal 120mm fans then undervolting them, pretty much any fan would be really quiet at 5v.

The stock fan in the tuniq tower is really quiet, even at max speed its pretty much unnoticable, all I do is put on my headphones (with nothing playing) and I cant hear it.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
i want a really quiet cpu cooler, i mean quiet when it's at high rpm

i just don't understand how these dBA or Sone mean...sometime i see 50 dBA, wthikle some only 17dBA.....i looked into one in newegg that has only 17dBA & a Zalman that is 20-32 dBA.... which one better.....plz help

thx in advance

If you want total silence, get a scythe ninja (but you still need airflow, therefore case fans). It's a fan-less passive huge heatsink.
My Tuniq Tower is inaudible at lowest fan speed.
Highest fan speed only cools 1-2degC lower than lowest fan speed (at stock CPU setting).

lazyvenki

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
be very careful with fan dB readings from manufacturers. You never know how they test them, which you can bet is in a very ideal environment(anechoic chamber, unmounted, etc).

If you see a noise rating below 30dB, be cautious and look for reviews(my favorite along with SPCR.com is the Nexus 120mm).

If you see a fairly high rating 40+, then certainly stay away because the manufacturer knows its loud and isn't gonna try to fudge the numbers.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
that is exactly why I asked a review that pits the two coolers against each other. Same review - same environment - meaningful comparison.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I can tell you that my TT kept my E6600 (OCed at 3GHz) at 59 load and 49 idle. My Noctua keeps it at 50 load and 41 idle. (I have both fans on it and it still is quieter than any HSF I have ever heard and I have heard a lot. It is rediculously quiet.)

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I can tell you that my TT kept my E6600 (OCed at 3GHz) at 59 load and 49 idle. My Noctua keeps it at 50 load and 41 idle. (I have both fans on it and it still is quieter than any HSF I have ever heard and I have heard a lot. It is rediculously quiet.)

What I'd like you to tell me is a link, a review that pits the Tuniq Tower and that Noctua.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006

What I'd like you to tell me is a link, a review that pits the Tuniq Tower and that Noctua.

I am trying to find you one. Settle down.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
The review didn't include the Tuniq and your Noctua in the same review.

By the review you provided, the Noctua had merely a few degrees less than the Ninja, therefore the Noctua has a similar level of performance to the Tuniq Tower. Nothing in there backs your claim that it "owns" the Tuniq Tower.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
By my experience (which is very broad) it does. I can't find anything that compres the two. That was the best I could come up with. If you don't like it then lets get all the HSFs that I have used in a room to fight whatever stock piece of crap HSF you have.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
There is nothing that I should "like" or not. There is no emotion here, just facts.

The Tuniq Tower is widely known (and documented) to be the top performer at the moment. You claimed otherwise, and in the spirit of objectivity I was open to analyze your claim by looking at data to back your claim. Tuniq remains the top performer until proven otherwise.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Hey Stefx, u finally gave some good advice...its been a long time coming.

SEE? doesnt it feel better than flaming?

PC_Side_Line, if you ever want to have a debate, bring your facts down and debate them in a cool manner. Be objective

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Hey Stefx, u finally gave some good advice...its been a long time coming.

SEE? doesnt it feel better than flaming?

PC_Side_Line, if you ever want to have a debate, bring your facts down and debate them in a cool manner. Be objective

Whoa... meow! This is gonna get hot I hope...

Latest posts