Noisy hard disk

G

Hello,
I recently bought a reconditioned oomputer from a retailer. The hard disk often sounds like it's working for quite a long time like a sort of 'hunting' noise even when I'm not actually working on it. I'ts quite annoying and load but stops after a while and there doesn't seem any pattern to when it does this.
Is this something to worry about, can I stop it or what can I do, if anything?
I don't know the make of the HD but that part was sold as new.

Thanks,

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
That sounds like a dying hard drive. Sounds like it's having to retry repeatedly. It might continue to work for a while, but you cannot predict how long.

If you have any way to backup your data immediately, then do it - an external hard drive, a USB flash key, anything. Get your data first, before doing anything else.

My inclination would be to buy a new hard drive. Copy your data. Discard the dying one - it's not worth the pain.

Once your data is safe, then you can complain to the supplier - sounds like you were sold a dud drive.

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Do you know what brand of hard drive it is? If it is like my Western Digital Green then the seeking sound is due to the fact that Western Digital thought it would be a good idea for the hard drive to enter a "stand-by" mode when it is not accessed for energy conservation and spin back to life when you do something to it. As the above poster mentioned, try to backup your essential information as soon as you can so you don't lose it for good.

To test the hard drive, go to the manufacturer’s web site and download their diagnostic software. If the drive passes these tests then it is OK. If there is anything wrong with it then the tests will show it up.

christop

Distinguished
yeah I have a hd that is kinda loud but thats the way it is I have checked my hd health and it is fine . I wouls not worry about it unless you start having real problems.