Nokia Rumored to Release Windows 8 Tablet in 4Q12

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzz_b

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Not a Windows fan, but the more choices the better!
Curious about both Win and Linux/GNU touch capabilities.
Hope they will match iOS and Android, or even better, faster response times.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
In general response time relies on hardware (CPU/GPU/APU.. and the touchscreen type itself). Windows 8 devices should sport high spec hardware, hence touch screen experience should be very fluid.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
HTC can make Windows phones and Android phones.
Samsung can make Windows phones as well as Android phones.

Yet Nokia, the #1 (still) manufacturer can not make both Android and Windows phones. And "obviously" it has nothing to do with the fact, that it's current CEO is a former Microsoft employee...

/facepalm

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I am looking forward to windows 8 tablets, absolutely not interested in a windows 8 tablet where the chip can not run all windows software.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Windows on ARM, what a joke. And it's supposed to compete against iOS. Better get the Atom version out quick if there to be any performance out of those things.....

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Microsoft can pump more money into Nokia, for as long as it needs to get it right, MS it is still getting patent money from makers of android devices.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]HTC can make Windows phones and Android phones.Samsung can make Windows phones as well as Android phones.Yet Nokia, the #1 (still) manufacturer can not make both Android and Windows phones. And "obviously" it has nothing to do with the fact, that it's current CEO is a former Microsoft employee.../facepalm[/citation]For some reason they still can make a Symbian phone (like the recent model with the high-resolution camera).

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Windows 8 is going to fail because it doesn't have any advantages on tablets over iOS or Android and it's forcing desktop users to use a tablet UI (Metro). It's all about money of course. Microsoft is trying to turn the PC into a kiosk/console that runs preapproved apps from the Microsoft app store (Microsoft gets 30% share of app sales and ad revenue from ad-supported apps). But we get pretty tiles, so I guess it's okay?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]For some reason they still can make a Symbian phone (like the recent model with the high-resolution camera).[/citation]
So cool of the CEO guy not to kill Symbian phones (which are officially scheduled to cease to exist anyway) overnight. This realy defeats original argument.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Windows 8 good for tablets bad for pc's I've been nessing around with the preview fro some time now and i'm on it write nowe as i type this and i'm still yet to get my head wrapped around this metro ui. It's not functional on a pc especially on a desktop in which i'm using now and getting rid of the start menu was a major setback imo. So much so i downlaoded Start8 to get the start menu back because i use it a lot.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]I am looking forward to windows 8 tablets, absolutely not interested in a windows 8 tablet where the chip can not run all windows software.[/citation]A lot of potential tablet buyers don't need backwards compatibility. So I think Windows 8 ARM has a strong future in the less expensive tablets. But I agree, if I eventually get a Win8 tablet it's probably going to have a low power x86 chip. Like Brazos-T or Samara.

mrmez

Splendid
Super late to the party. Hope they come up with something great. Not because i like Nokia, i hate them, but competition is always good, right.

In all honestly, i bet my salary it won't be great. An average product at an average price. It will gain minimal market share initially and struggle for growth as competition increases. Within 5 years id expect them to drastically restructure or cease production completely.
Of course it doesn't help that every new release of windows has historically been a hit and miss affair.

G

There's going to be alot of windows 8 tablets released pretty much at the same time. Considering that, I don't think Nokia will be successful with their tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.