'Nokia Technologies' Formed, Dishes Out Android Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Good for Nokia. Microsoft have Lumia brand but knowing Microsoft they are not going to do anything with it and eventually will die. I hope Nokia frees themselves from Microsoft fingers and do their own thing with Android powered devices. I am sure I will be buying Nokia products in the future.

soldier45

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
As usual the third world countries get the goods before the US. I miss the old days when we got the newest stuff first.

gbair

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I'm hoping Nokia gets back into the smartphone arena by that time, especially with the move to Android. I like the sturdy feel of their phones, can't think of what else to replace my Lumia 1020 with.

As usual the third world countries get the goods before the US. I miss the old days when we got the newest stuff first.

Since when are China, Russia, and Europe the "third world"? For that matter how many people in third world countries have $249 to spend on a tablet? Just... wow.

You send your product where it will sell and the US is a largely saturated market.

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Finally! The reign of the king will be back in time. I've been waiting for the real Android device for so long. I always know that a Android device coming solely from Nokia would be awesome. I think the deal with Microsoft is a good deal for Nokia, because M$hit never do something right if it is not their main product. Kiss those WP good bye and hello "real" Android devices. You should have jumped in Android bandwagon from the start, Nokia.

InvalidError

Titan

Vendors do not want to undermine their high-margin North-American sales too much - most comparable devices in NA cost twice as much if not more.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Similar form factor: a thin aluminum slab with a 4:3 display, and that's pretty much where the similarities end. Nexus 9 looks more like an iPad, but it's different aspect ratio.

The N1 seems to be very well priced, and if it ever comes to northern Europe, I'll get it.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Similar form factor: a thin aluminum slab with a 4:3 display, and that's pretty much where the similarities end. Nexus 9 looks more like an iPad, but it's different aspect ratio.

The N1 seems to be very well priced, and if it ever comes to northern Europe, I'll get it.
It took fewer similarities for Apple to successfully sue Samsung over the Tab10 in Europe and USA

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
"Third World" is a term that originally meant a neutral, non-aligned country within the context of defining the sides during the Cold War. It's only therafter that it started being misused as a way of defining developing countries, whilst at the same time ignoring the fact that there was a "Second World" to begin with.

Ireland is a good example to use here - third world, but developed.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Quite interesting to see that Nokia showed firefox in its homescreen, not a lot of android devices use firefox as their default browser. Personally as a firefox user I do like this although the mobile version of firefox fails pretty hard on the costumization department.

TripleHeinz

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
This is a surprise. Is this our old Nokia brand? If so i was wrong thinking they were somehow restricted to the mobile market. Can Nokia return to cellphones business? What did Microsoft bought then if Nokia can make a comeback?

I'm glad anyway for some new competition. Just keep coming the good old Nokia products.

InvalidError

Titan

The Nokia N1 only supports USB2 but uses the Type-C connector. Type-C has duplicated USB2 pins on both sides to make it work either way without the need for Type-C-compatible hardware beyond the physical connector itself. This is how Type-C achieves its USB2 backward-compatibility.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I hope they retained and employed their ClearBlack display technology here. I'm a big fan of how nice the looks with an actual black background.

Axonn

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
soldier45: actually, the USA of today is in a rather bad place, socially & culturally. I don't hear of many school shootings and rampaging criminality in most European countries.

cmi86

Distinguished
Round edges and a silver bezel, kind of reminds me of one of the older gen iphones or ipods. Be ready for a completely frivolous lawsuit from apple. They invented round corners, and don't you forget it !

Status
Not open for further replies.