Noob has a question: will this card run skyrim well

Solution
@OP regarding parts:

IDK about the bitpheonix chassis; it wouldn't be my first choice... everything else looks solid!

for the money Id pick up dual 2GB 6950s and oc them, the 6970 is really not netting you much extra performance and a good chunk of extra money.... Id say get a solid 850w psu like the Seasonic HT 850-- and oc those 6950s and your cpu and you will have one killer system for a
Im thinking about gettting the sabertooth 990FX board for my next board!

but in the end I hope you will be doing a lot more then just Skyrim!
my guess is that you will be able to run it well; although its all just speculating bc there is no benches as the game is not released what is your full system specs and budget.. fill out this form when asking for gpu advice...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] e-choosing

Blarzor

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Well let me tell you just one thing. I'm also a noob but I can tell you something what everyone will tell you; 6970 is most likely an overkill for Skyrim. You will be able to max it without problem, but that extra gfx power will be great if you will use game modifications. What is your screen resolution? Of course it is important that your processor is good too so it won't bottleneck the gfx card.

edgarallenpoe

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: around 11/11/11

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, skyrim

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity , power supply not bought yet but probably corsair 750 , plan on buying a second gpu in the future

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: cpu: intel i5 2500k, MoBo: ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard , memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) , case is bitfenix shinobi window

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: not that interested in crysis, but how well would it run?

Blarzor

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
It's true, we won't exactly know. 2 days left. But we can be almost sure because, radeon 4890 can already run it on high. So 6970 shouldn't have any problem maxing the game on 1920x1080. Game is using direct x 9 with direct x 11 elements. I very highly doubt that game will be as demanding as BF 3 or something. Skyrim is a port anyway.

^+1 agreed, with mods that come out it may require more but for the basic game Id say your right.

OP if your going with dual 6970s id go with a quality 850W unit, just fyi seems like a pretty lofty build at this point though... skyrim imo is just not a game you build a pc around... sadly its about as good as saying Im building a PC for WoW lol :lol:

we will have to see when the actual game surfaces in a couple days....

side note:

Im debating on whether to get it or not.... i might opt out to buy Batman AC which is released on the 22 for PC

@OP regarding parts:

IDK about the bitpheonix chassis; it wouldn't be my first choice... everything else looks solid!

for the money Id pick up dual 2GB 6950s and oc them, the 6970 is really not netting you much extra performance and a good chunk of extra money.... Id say get a solid 850w psu like the Seasonic HT 850-- and oc those 6950s and your cpu and you will have one killer system for a
Im thinking about gettting the sabertooth 990FX board for my next board!

but in the end I hope you will be doing a lot more then just Skyrim!

Solution

edgarallenpoe

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
thanks so much for your responses! I read another thread and someone was saying wait for the 7k series in december, that is only a month away should I wait? I'm hoping this build will last me a few years before I need to upgrade. And I dont completely understand the duo cards, what if I had one 6970 and one 6950? I plan on doing a lot of expirimenting and do anticipate a second monitor in the future. I surely will be doing more than just skyrim , but atm im pretty sure my laptop wont run it and it's the first game I wanna play coming out soon.

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
If you really want to play Skyrim, my advice would be to put together a nice system and wait for some performance reviews of Skyrim to decide on the GPU. Once you read the reviews, purchase whatever card will satisfy your needs. Any GTX 560, 570 or 580 / HD 6950, 6970 will give you a few good years of futureproofing. I am in a similar boat as you, Skyrim will be my main focus for next year, along side Diablo 3. I am pretty certain any modern graphics card will run those games just fine.

cwu

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
If you plan on adding Mods in the future - 6970 is not overkill

There will be graphic mods/texture overhauls within yr or 2 that will most likely murder a lot of the lesser cards today.

If you plan on playing the game vanilla: Well this game was primarily made for xbox & the directx 11 features we will get on pc is very minimal (modders will change this). A 6970 in this case might be a bit of overkill, but future proofing the pc as others have stated is never a bad thing.