[SOLVED] Noob question about a damaged GTX 680

Mar 5, 2020
I recently got an old reference GTX 680 (HP OEM card) for a sum of $55 online. I suspected possible defects even though the dealer said it was in good condition and "90% new". I went for it nevertheless since I intend it as a collector's piece only. After delivery, I found out there are indeed some defects on the back of the PCB, namely one ceramic capacitor missing and another one faulty.

Below are the pictures showing the defects. C859 is missing while C525 was swung upwards touching the upper C524 before I "corrected" its position, I guess the leg is half-broken since only the left portion was freely movable. I have also attached a reference scan of the PCB.
View: https://imgur.com/a/ZoJs2kK

I tried the card out on my build and it booted up successfully. I also tried out a few minutes of gaming (Forza Horizon 4 1080p, Ultra) without issues other than the appalling framerate (25-30 fps). Even though I won't be using it for real, I want it to be a fully functional piece. Do you guys think that card is working fine even with the defects? Or do you think I should send it for a repair? Is it worth the trouble? I would like some opinions. Thanks so much.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

In all honesty, if you're going to have it perched up a shelf or table top, you shouldn't be worried about whether the card works or not. Given how far behind the GTX680 is, it's also moot to have it powering a system when you can get much better frames/performance and much reduced power draw with the latest and greatest.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

In all honesty, if you're going to have it perched up a shelf or table top, you shouldn't be worried about whether the card works or not. Given how far behind the GTX680 is, it's also moot to have it powering a system when you can get much better frames/performance and much reduced power draw with the latest and greatest.

Solution