Norway Shooter 'Trained' with Modern Warfare, Not WoW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
I fail to see how aiming with a joystick or mouse equates to being able to cycle a gun properly and fast through reload, and knowing how to push or pull on a gun to compensate for recoil...

Also, his statements about a holographic sight being so easy to use and then that military uses simulators to practice for them are very contradictory.

Lastly, I guess cops and any movies featuring gun fights should be banned too because you know people don't emulate what happens in those?

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
The same argument was made decades ago when some kid went off of the deep end playing d&d. SS,DP. If I remember, Dr? joyce was on that band wagon. I'm sorry, who's the newest Dr? trying to gain face time?

oxiide

Distinguished
All one could really learn from MW would be that you have to point your gun at a target to hit it. The game's weapons are basically hitscan with little or no ballistics simulation. Its therefore a little silly to say he "trained" with it.

How much training does a ultraconservative gun enthusiast need to shoot unarmed kids stuck on an island?

wardoc22

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
he was also admitted he was aimbotted all those kids he killed..

This seems to me like nothing more than a way to get him out of jail and being locked up...

Or he is just plain retard

Obviously the guy is very sick and there will always be these type of folks as long as there are humans on earth. Always have been, always will be. Just think about how many of these type of people you encounter, in some fashion, every day. Scary thought.

"I couldn't tell her I was taking a sabbatical because I was going to blow myself up in five years' time," he testified. "

Sadly, blowing himself up never came to pass!

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I don't think it's all that big a deal what he was trained from. Nothing more than a passing comment would have been made if he had had actual military experience. Many thousands of people have the necessary knowledge to do what he did. They don't automatically get flagged as possible terrorists, so I find it a bit irrelevant. Such knowledge isn't exactly a guarded secret.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Draven35[/nom]Call of Duty doesn't teach you actual gun handling any more than Skyrim teaches you how to do magic.[/citation]

before i state ANYTHING, i want to point out i don't believe games can teach you to fire a gun.

however with that said, games with snipers, bullet drop and other things, can at least teach a person more about bullets, like they drop over time, and depending on how accurate the game is, teach about how far you could expect to be accurate with a specific gun.

i believe that if a game is accurate, you can assess how much recould you get from a particular weapon, and be more ready than someone who never fired it before.

i do believe that with iron sights in games now, it can teach you how you want to look down a gun to be accurate, something many have trouble with when they first start shooting.

i don't believe you can train in modern warfare, but i do believe it will give you an idea.

Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]before i state ANYTHING, i want to point out i don't believe games can teach you to fire a gun.however with that said, games with snipers, bullet drop and other things, can at least teach a person more about bullets, like they drop over time, and depending on how accurate the game is, teach about how far you could expect to be accurate with a specific gun.i believe that if a game is accurate, you can assess how much recould you get from a particular weapon, and be more ready than someone who never fired it before. i do believe that with iron sights in games now, it can teach you how you want to look down a gun to be accurate, something many have trouble with when they first start shooting. i don't believe you can train in modern warfare, but i do believe it will give you an idea.[/citation]

I can understand what you are saying, but there is still more to the ballistics of bullets than guns in say battlefield account for. Just because you know how to account for bullet drop and leading a target from a video game, doesn't mean you can do it in real life. Sure if you are trying to hit someone far away on the run you know aim ahead and high BUT you also have to "dope your scope" you know dial in on your target in real life unlike in video games which are all preset. Video games also don't account for handling of the gun, not all guns jump up from recoil, some go down, but in video games they all go up and to the right or left a little.

Also, like Mortsmi7 said none of this information is exactly a guarded secrete watch any sniper show or read up online and you can find anything you can from a game if not more.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Anyone who uses one of these games to "train" themselves is a f*****g idiot.

Don't lump the rest of us that know the difference between fantasy and reality in with this nutcase.

..as if gaming doesn't have enough moronic stigmas attached to it... sigh...

:/

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Lol, people in here with zero kills under their belt arguing about a guys training methods despite the fact he killed over 70 people.

Seems like butthurt Battlefield geeks in here.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
There's people who can live with society and others who don't belong in it PERIOD. You couldn't train in a game even if you had the slightest idea that it would work. I personally found this out about a year ago when i finally decided to buy a gun myself after 15+ years of playing FPS i said has to be the same.. I was wrong, its completely different and in no way can you train from a game. Whoever buys this story from him are complete morons. This guy deserves one thing and one thing only, execution, lethal injection whatever it may be but he has to die. He killed 70 people who for all we know could of been something greater in there lives yet never had the chance because this idiot just had a crazy thought of killing innocent lives.. Yeah say what you want, he should die no trial, no questions. Guilty!

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Oh, so he became good shooter by playing CoD:MW? I've played skyrim religiously but people still not thrown back when i scream "fus ro dah!!!"...what the hell??

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Article title reads "Norway Shooter 'Trained' with Modern Warfare, Not WoW" as if this were news. It's not; or rather, it's not new news. He wrote about his uses for Wow and CoD MW in his 2083 manifesto which has been doing the internet rounds ever since his killing spree.

On CoD MW he writes:

"Marksmanship training

Target practise is likely going to be a problem for many people in certain countries (urban
Europeans like us, ouch:). Consider taking a vacation to a country where you are able to
train in marksmanship or join a gun club. Simulation by playing Call of Duty, Modern
Warfare is a good alternative as well but you should try to get some practise with a real
assault rifle (with red point optic) if possible. There are select 2nd or 3rd world countries
that offer arrangements where you can practise with an assault rifle. Try avoiding Muslim
and African countries (unless you are travelling in a group) as they are very
racist/discriminating towards Europeans. There are security courses which is arranged by
various security companies around the world as well. Lots of opportunities for those of us
with creativity and enough cash:)"

On WoW:

"3.26 Avoiding suspicion from relatives, neighbours and friends

Present a ”credible project/alibi” to your friends, co-workers and family. Announce to
your closest friends, co-workers and family that you are pursuing a ”project” that can at
least partly justify your ”new pattern of activities” (isolation/travel) while in the planning
phase.

F example, tell them that you have started to play World of Warcraft or any other online
MMO game and that you wish to focus on this for the next months/year. This ”new
project” can justify isolation and people will understand somewhat why you are not
answering your phone over long periods. Tell them that you are completely hooked on
the game (raiding dungeons etc). Emphasise to them that this is a dream you have had
since you were a kid. If they stress you, insist and ask them to respect your decision. You
will be amazed on how much you can do undetected while blaming this game. If your
planning requires you to travel, say that you are visiting one of your WoW friends, or
better yet, a girl from your ”guild” (who lives in another country). No further questions
will be raised if you present these arguments."

BTW, reporters are sloths. Just thought I'd mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.