[SOLVED] Not enough fan headers

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
I realised that my B350M Gaming Pro only has 2 chassis fan headers but I want to have 3-5 fans, what can i do about this?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The device AllanGH has linked is a 4-pin fan HUB and will do that job nicely IF you have the right fans. It can work only with a SYS_FAN header that actually is using the new PWM Mode to control its fans (your mobo's headers can be set to that Mode, and may be that way by default). It can work ONLY if all of the case fans you plan to use are of the newer 4-pin PWM type, and NOT the older 3-pin style. So, make sure to buy the right type of fans.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah, hat's another way to handle 3-pin fans. It is basically a manual two-speed switch for a bunch of 3-pin fans, with power drawn from the PSU directly.

What I had in mind for OP was a unique fan Hub device by Phanteks. It is different because it uses the PWM signal from a mobo header using PWM Mode to create its own group of 3-pin fan output ports that use Voltage Control Mode. Since 4-pin fans actually can be controlled this way (although not technically ideal), that Hub can deal with any mix of 3- and 4-pin fans, as long as its host header is using PWM Mode. Like other Hubs, it gets all power for its fans from the PSU and does not load up the mobo header. But OP would need hat ONLY if he / she has 3-pin fans to control.