Not getting a display on monitor

Nov 15, 2018
So I've had this pc for almost a year and it worked fine but recently while I was carrying it I dropped it and the case got damaged. I was going to buy a new case but the guy working there told me I didn't need a new case so he just re attached the cpu cooler and I took the pc back home. It worked fine for like 2 days then while I was playing destiny 2, the pc would turn off and I would have to restart it. I kept playing games I just decided to not play d2 until i had fixed the problem but now a few days later I turn on the pc, start playing any game, the pc starts making a loud humming noise and the display goes off, the pc is still on its just that the screen turns black. Its just the screen, the pc keeps working I can still talk and hear from my headset.

I think the problem is about the gpu and here are the parts I use

GPU: GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX
CPU: Intel i5 6800k
Motherboard: Msi Z170A
RAM: its 16 gb but I dont know the brand
Monitor: Viewsonic XG2401

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Now I don't get any display when I start the computer, the monitor is on its visible that its on but its not working.

not knowing anything about the ram is a problem.

like, do you even know if it is DDR3 or DDR4 ram because your motherboard would only support DDR4 ram.

and even if it is DDR4 ram it still may not be compatible with your motherboard. it is always best to get ram from the motherboard manufacturers QVL last

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Have you replied to the wrong thread by accident? :??:

Nov 15, 2018
I took the graphics card out and put it back in it still doesn't work. I'm pretty sure the RAM is compatible. The power cables are connected . I will try reseating the graphics card again. By the way I keep having to hard reset the computer because Im not getting any display is it harmful to the computer?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Not harmful but it sounds like its not posting.

Remove the graphics card and plug into the integrated graphics and see if you actually get the bios or anything display? any post codes on the motherboard?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Do you have a hdmi/dvi port on the motherboard so you can use the graphics built in to the CPU? ( Im assuming your OP was a typo and you have the 6600k, as the 6800k wouldnt fit in your motherboard.

Nov 15, 2018
When I power the computer the fans start working except the ones on the graphics card but I think thats just because they start working when the pc exceeds a certain temprature. All lights work including gpu's power cable leds. I reseated the RAM twice it didn't work

no, the OP does not give any specs about the ram in the original post

think the problem is about the gpu and here are the parts I use

GPU: GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX
CPU: Intel i5 6800k
Motherboard: Msi Z170A
RAM: its 16 gb but I dont know the brand
Monitor: Viewsonic XG2401

Thanks in advance.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Its a totally irrelevant question though.

It cant have been DDR3 or it would never have worked at all. Nothing here is a symptom of bad ram, i just don't know what your getting at.