[SOLVED] Not getting fps that I think I should

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 23, 2019
i built a new pc last month(my first build)
specs: RTX 2070,
RYZEN 5 2600,
G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB DDR4-3200MHz,
MSI b450 tomahawk,
psu corsairTX650M,
1TB HDD
I checked it many times i think i have build it correctly.Only problem is that i hear a little sound when the cpu is at high temps like 55 C+ idk what it is i have checked the cooler and i have put enough thermal paste.But the problem is i have played a lot of game like 20+.And i think i should get more fps than what i am getting.Like in minecraft only ~200 fps at low settings?Like what the heck, in gta v i think i coould get like 30 fps more.I also played a game called Russian Fishing 4 and i got 30 fps with high settings like thats ridiculous for my system right?Idk how to fix it I think its the cpu or something it could be the bios??Idk.Please help me!!!

Solution
Perfect world would be;

Win 10 clean install, chipset driver installed, Ryzen or Windows balanced plan used with adjustment cpu minimum state of atleast 10%, try 50. Leave max on 100.

Geforce power settings to prefer max. Don't use Geforce Experience to optimise games unless you know where the quality slider is where it base's it's optimisations on.

Disable gamebar.

Check cpu temps.

Gta5, still don't use ultimate grass.

What resolution are you playing at?

And what's that 16gb ram made if? 1x 16, 2x8? Have you checked with Ryzen master or Cpuz what speed your ram is running at? Coz xmp will need to be enabled in the bios to run 3200 (2133 standard) and should read 1600MHz SDR (DDR = SDR *2 - single data rate / double data rate) in...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Games can perform differently yeah.

GE has a quality slider last time i checked. It affects how it'll optimise. Nvidia thinks 45~60 fps is good and default GE settings with a powerful gpu expect just about all settings to the max.

RLarcosPES2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2014
So ok.I'll try running on safe mode and then i will tell you guys if i have any changes.Also did it cause any problems if i didnt run it at safe mode at first time?

No problem at all.

Wouldn't cause problems not running in safemode as reinstalling drivers would have replaced anything that was deleted by ddu.

Ddu isn't always necessary though, the clean install option in Nvidia driver installer is usually enough. It's more of an troubleshooting measure if nothing works or changing gpu brands ie Nvidia to amd so any registry values are cleaned out.

Better be safe than sorry. I've had many faulty configurations after uninstalling GPU driver without DDU and reinstalling it again. The whole process takes upto 5 minutes and much less in the OP's PC.

TRENDING THREADS