Not Intel Inside

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hogfather

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
Surely a 'true' 64bit cpu is not what amd has made? Does it still support 32bit? The only 'true 64bit' is Itanium, unless you're talking double standards, which of course [sarcasm]never happens![/sarcasm]. However, it does stand that the only mainstream 64bit product for the desktop is the AMD64 atm, whether 'true' or not.

XP2000, 256ddr 2100ram, GF4 MX440, XP Pro

Any variant of Intel is Shiite until they release a True 64 like AMD did and your on the shelves in months time.... keep dreaming you will be lucky to see a true Intel 64 in the next 5 years.

Do you have any tecnical fact or just day dreaming

juin, we're talking about someone that claims the type of CPU in your system is the ONLY factor in whether you win or lose at online FPS. All he does is daydream.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor on 90 nm Process

2.80A/E GHz—3.40E GHz Frequencies Supporting Hyper-Threading Technology1 for All Frequencies with 800 MHz System Bus

The Intel® Pentium® 4 processor on 90 nm process is a follow on to the Intel® Pentium® 4 processor in the 478-pin package with enhancements to the Intel NetBurst® microarchitecture. The Intel® Pentium® 4 processor on 90 nm process uses Flip-Chip Pin Grid Array (FC-mPGA4) package technology, and plugs into a 478-pin surface mount, Zero Insertion Force (ZIF) socket, referred to as the mPGA478B socket. The Pentium 4 processor on 90 nm process, like its predecessor, the Pentium 4 processor in the 478-pin package, is based on the same (((( Intel 32-bit )))) microarchitecture and maintains the tradition of compatibility with IA-32 software.

1 Hyper-Threading Technology requires a computer system with an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor supporting HT Technology and a HT Technology enabled chipset, BIOS and operating system. Performance will vary depending on the specific hardware and software you use. See Hyper-Threading Technology for more information.

Above is all you got for desktop use and is still only a 32-bit CPU

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
2x512 Crucial DDR 400 PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Two Maxtor 40Gig 8MB cach 7200rpm
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

Yes most of us here are aware of that.

But the question is are you aware that prescott already has 64bit extensions,IDENTICLE to the AMD64 bit extensions.But will not be activated until Microsoft releases a retail version of XP64.
So processors that are on shelves and in systems already have 64bit extensions but it is dissabled.

And that NEITHER AMD64 or Intel IA32e is a real 64 bit cpu. It is a 32bit cpu with the X86-64 extensions.Not true 64bit. AMD does not make a true 64bit cpu.They make a X86-64 32bit cpu just like Intel.

Now the Nacoma(spell??) XEON cpu is supposedly to be avialable in good supply in a couple of months. The Nacoma is based on the Prescott core with added cache for some versions.

Did I speak slow enough and clearly enough for you to get it this time? Did I leave anything out?

I aint signing nothing!!!

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re:And that NEITHER AMD64 or Intel IA32e is a real 64 bit cpu. It is a 32bit cpu with the X86-64 extensions.Not true 64bit. AMD does not make a true 64bit cpu.They make a X86-64 32bit cpu just like Intel.

These definitions get a little carried away. all current past x86 32bit cpu's run 16 bit so they are not true 32-bit but 16-bit ? I think not.

The true 64-bit you speak of IA-64 is not x86. The reason people need x86 is because its backwards compatible with 32bit software. AMD64 is a true 64-bit cpu just as much as the pentium 2 was a true 32 bit cpu.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
What you say is all true Rick but AMD have desktop solution CPU's running 64 bit and it is a true 64 bit cpu and built in that fashion. The fact that it still runs 32 bit ap's was only to provide users with a viable OS to run the AMD 64 in.

The A64's actually have a 64-bit registry not extensions where Intel has nothing in the wafer fab remotely close to that.

Intel has still not released a 64 bit CPU to the marked it does not matter what they supposedly have or any theoretical explanations that they make or Intel fans would like to think is real or imagined.

Intel does not have a 64 and because they PR they have one but it is locked is the reason they are lying through there teeth no one on earth outside an Intel lab would be able to reverse engineer a Intel CPU at that level to figure out if it was true or not.

It took 40 Engineers with a core group of 12 over 5 years in some lab 5 years to reveres Engineer the first IBM technology.

Lets form a quick premise here and follow through on it. I will tell you right now when Intel releases a desktop CPU it will not be on the same wafer fab technology it will not be even remotely resemble the itanium DIODE that is the current core for the supposedly 64 locked CPU.

The way you will see the real truth from Intel is the Day they sell over the counter a true 64 bit Desktop/workstation CPU fully functional to the public as AMD has already done.

You can bet the last donut you have in the box it will not resemble any current Intel CPU otherwise moded or claimed to be modified, and to date that is all Intel has been able to provide is moded CPU's.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
GeForce FX5900
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
two things to look for in cpu performance, cache size, and clock frequency.
What??? Did I read correctly? You must have made a typo???

Incredible... How can you write this!

Athlon 64 running at 2.0Ghz with 512K cache
Athlon XP running at 2.2GHz with 512K cache

If I apply your 2 things to look at performance, I would buy the 2.2GHz XP, but I would not be well served! We all know that the A64 architecture is better at equal speed.

CPU architecture are more complex than you think! You can't compare based on Core speed and cache size, it's misleading.

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Yes and besides the new 64's from AMD have a 1MB cache not a 512K cache.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
GeForce FX5900
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I dont for Ghz Is not what cpu anymore. Go back in the 1998 to 2001 I would agree with you. But why can Amd run with Low ghz and be the same speed as a Intel. Let me put it this way 2.2 ghz 3200fx is faster then a Intel 3.2 ghz P4ee l3 2 megs.

Then you have dumb people who thinks ghz is God. but why 2.2 ghz faster then most 3.2ghz

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think everyone who thinks they know everything. Need to go back into reading about computer to get there facts right. Amd 64 is a real 64 bit. But it Also a Real 32 bit

It like you all saying a hybrad car dont have a real Motor becuse it uses Battery to help in power.

So you all please learn your fact. Before you all make a fool of your self.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
the new 64's from AMD have a 1MB cache not a 512K cache.
The A64 3000+ has only 512K of cache and it runs at 2.0GHz.

Read this
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-3000.html" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-3000.html</A>
or
<A HREF="http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2004q1/athlon64-3000/index.x?pg=1" target="_new">http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2004q1/athlon64-3000/index.x?pg=1</A>
or
<A HREF="http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1371" target="_new">http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1371</A>

I'm pretty sure it has 512K of cache, are you? :smile:

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You know what funny SoDNighthawk. Is if Intel had the same setup 64/32 bit Before Amd. Where it says 64/32 bit
And amd was only 32 bit.

Where Amd people saying it not real 64 bit. Like the people now who are into intel. Doing right now. (intel runs 64 bit.) Then Amd saying it not a pure 64 bit system for there No 64 bit OS. Whos is blind as that. When there also Linux that runs 64 bit.

fragglefart

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
Atolsammeek- you obviously have a spot of trouble grasping the english language, so i will just point out i CERTAINLY did not say "we don't need 32bit".
I merely pointed out that unless you want the extra gaming performance, there is little extra incentive to pay the high prices for 32/64 bit hybrid systems at this point.

Servers and workstations aside, what on EARTH can you use 64bit chips for at the moment? ESPECIALLY ones with their roots in "gaming" requirements. Im not talking about coding or programming, 3D graphics (although precious few applications care for 64-bit cpu's) or any other form of content-creation, i am talking about Mr. "Oooh-64bit hybrid-will-make-quake-run-faster."
Working with CG, i cant wait until 64bit systems are widely adopted and fully exploited. I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Also, SoD; tell me, even if someone was capable of creating a 64bit operating system "better" than windows or linux, do you really think they would acheive ANY kind of market penetration? Or software support from global developers eager to oppose Micro$ofts monopoly?
No way.
You should perhaps read a little more on the subject of global monopolies, and less on how CPU performance dictates online frag-performance *sigh*
There would be little-to-no market for such a development, you see... the pc industry is led by trail blazing early adopters and those who look on the technoloies as a hobby, but if the technologies are not adopted by the average home user, so it can be massively produced on-the-cheap, it will become nothing more than an elite's expensive, flashy curiosity (like the P4EE)

so, i think 64bit is pretty much useless for almost all of the people here for at least another year or two. Unless all the fanboys are actually uber-programmers in disguise!
I couldnt give a monkeys for AMD/Intel, just whichever gets the job done quicker. I fail to see how 64bits will enable that until it has the proper software support (i cant wait til it does! then ill get a nice shiny new pc!)

then you can get a 128bit processor to give your frags a boost (hahahahahahahaha.... retard!)

Render times? You'll find me down the pub...

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
The Rod you are right that was my mistake I am only thinking about the new releases of the 64 not the first one. I am stepping out and dont have allot of time to reply correctly but you know from the links you sent me the different models of the 64.

Thnx for the FYI I missed the mistake.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
GeForce FX5900
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well When you learn. There more then one OS and people. Are one sided like your self. And if you can t Understand linux 64 bit. Then why dont you read into it.

And where did I say I was buying one. What I m looking at is Intel high price. Then Amd Low price plus 64bit. And right now my goal is a Laptop.

It pritty funny how a child still call people names.

endyen

Splendid
There is one small point you seem to be missing. Certainly today there are few apps that can gain advantage from the extra general purpose, integer and fp registers that will become available with a 64 bit os. .fact is though, that many people run more than one app at a time.
Not only will the Athlon 64 multitask like no other, but the virtual memory requirements will be so fragmented that, without the extra addressing, continuous chnks of memory would quickly become small enough to generate out of memory situations.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Thnx TheRod but you don't need to quote everything everyone says... :) But thank you. In my Defence I was in the middle of another migraine that I have suffered every few weeks to a month apart since a nasty parachute jump back in 1987.

Had ten years of rehab just to get full use of my left side of my body. Interesting how life works, I go from Para Military into rehab and re-education and end up in Electronic engineering.

You don't need to be able to jump out of things designing circuit boards unless it's Hoops ;)

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
GeForce FX5900
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x