Not posting, no display, and I can't power off using the power button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wishgallon22

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
So what happened was my friend was using my computer. I have my PC plugged in to a power strip and he was fiddling with it and accidently flipped the switch with his toe. He realized so he went back under the desk and turned it back on. Then using the power button, he turned the PC back on. Thats where the problem started. I got no display, and when I tried to turn it back off the power button did not do anything so I had to flip the switch on my power supply. My friend swears her did not quickly turn it back on to maybe simulate a power surge, but I'm not entirely sure if I should believe him. I've never had any other problems with this computer before and I highly doubt this serious of a problem could be caused by a simple power surge.
Here's my specs:
AMD Athlon 2 x4 CPU
4GB Of 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance RAM
AsRock 970 Pro 3 Motherboard
Sapphire AMD Radeon 7770 Vapor-X GHz Edition GPU
***My power supply is pretty cheap so I don't even know the brand but its a 660W
I'm runnning Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Any help would help A lot.

Solution
To power off with the power button, hold the button down for 4 seconds.

Switch off the psu, then unplug it.

If this does not bring back normalcy, then consider replacing the psu if it is a cheap one.
A cheap psu can cause other damage.
Look at the psu data plate to fine the brand/model.
Every psu must have a UL data plate.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Try this..Shut the PSU off with its' switch on the back; Open the case and remove the CMOS battery; Wait a minute or two or three; Put the battery back in; Turn the PSU switch to on; and try to restart the system. You may get afew messages asking how to start and you will select your HDD as the boot device and start windows normally .

stevenpchurch

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Hi - I'm on an old XP machine right now so I can't double check in Win7 but in XP, under Control Panel - Power Options - Advanced , there is a drop down menu that lets you disable the power button. Check it in Win7. Your "friend" might have decided that it would be funny to screw with you.

To power off with the power button, hold the button down for 4 seconds.

Switch off the psu, then unplug it.

If this does not bring back normalcy, then consider replacing the psu if it is a cheap one.
A cheap psu can cause other damage.
Look at the psu data plate to fine the brand/model.
Every psu must have a UL data plate.

Solution

Wishgallon22

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

I can hold the power button for hours and it won't make a change. I even tried removing the CMOS battery, leaving it out, and putting it in again. Nada. I'm thinking of just buying a new PSU because it was a cheap one and I knew I would have to upgrade it eventually but what if that doesn't work than I would of just spent money on a power supply for a broken PC. I'm also thinking it could be the RAM because this happened once when I was stupid and tried to boot without the RAM so imma just get a little 2 gig stick and try it. I pray to god this works

Status
Not open for further replies.