(NOT SOLVED) Extreme under performance MSI GX60 Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

entheogenist

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
Usually I am quite proficient when it comes to repairing computers and keeping them preforming well and utilizing them for the best output but lately I have just been running into continuing problems with my MSI GX60.

My system specs are as follows:

• Summary Information
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 8.1
    Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 7.19 GB
    Available Physical Memory 3.49 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 12.4 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 7.69 GB
    Page File Space 5.19 GB
    Graphics card #1 AMD Radeon HD 7970M
    Graphics card #2 AMD Radeon HD 8650G
    CPU AMD A10-5750M APU

Basically my main problem is experiencing fps drops in games and just general stutters. I have a few theories as to why this may be the case

• AMD Dual graphics is not working properly (could be a crossfire issue but i'm not 100% sure my graphic cards use crossfire or not)
    CPU under preforming
    Not enough RAM being allocated to games

If anybody has any advice please help
Any additional details and information can be provided at request

Solution
Did you reboot, and check your memory before anything else? If so, suggest running Malwarebytes and full system scan. It could also be possible that that your gpu is not being utilized in games and is being set to use your APU's graphics. Try removing your ccc and getting the drivers directly from msi, here: http://us.msi.com/support/nb/GX60-Destroyer.html/#down-driver&Win8.1 64 AMD's ccc is generally a generic driver that doesn't automatically support dual graphics, and other features your laptop may have. Try that.

naturesninja

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
The HD 8650G is your integrated graphics in your APU, and it does not XF with your GPU. Your available physical memory concerns me a bit, suggest rebooting and checking to see if it's still the same before doing anything else. Get back with us here after finding out to move onto next steps to try. Also, make sure you have the latest Catalyst Control Center, as well.

entheogenist

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015

Thank you for your reply.
I've checked my available physical memory at the time of reading your post and it's sitting at 2.20gb. I feel like it should be higher then that? I also have uninstalled and reinstalled up to date catalyst control center and all related drivers multiple times

naturesninja

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Did you reboot, and check your memory before anything else? If so, suggest running Malwarebytes and full system scan. It could also be possible that that your gpu is not being utilized in games and is being set to use your APU's graphics. Try removing your ccc and getting the drivers directly from msi, here: http://us.msi.com/support/nb/GX60-Destroyer.html/#down-driver&Win8.1 64 AMD's ccc is generally a generic driver that doesn't automatically support dual graphics, and other features your laptop may have. Try that.

Solution

entheogenist

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015

For some reason when I replied to your post it marked this issue as solved, this issue is still not solved.
Yes it was an initial check, I also just tried another reboot and it was 4.2gb. I have Avast Premier and have run mutliple full system and boot time scans. I thought it could be possible it was running off the APU graphics however the power button color changes from white to orange when it runs game (notifying the switchable graphics is in effect), I also have set all my games to run in High Performance within the switchable graphics properties and have checked GPU-Z to ensure that my 7970m card is being utilized and I am led to believe that yes it is.

I tried removing all AMD drivers and CCC and reinstalling all the latest version manually and still no change in performance. I even opened my laptop up today and did a blow out of all the dust, still nothing.
I did an FPS test of Gary's Mod before (one of the least graphics intensive games on the fucking planet) and it literally runs at like 9-15fps which is HORRID
Getting really stuck on what to do! My only other theory at the moment is the CPU ghz is severely under preforming or the memory isn't allocating properly.

naturesninja

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
I know it can get frustrating, just remember this is a public forum. The GPU has it's own memory. Did you "upgrade" to widows 10 by chance? The only things I can tell you to try are to go into your BIOS and set it to performance mode, set high performance mode on all settings under power plan, triple check that your drivers are MSi ones from the link I posted because windows generic hardware ones can some times cause issues that you would think are unrelated, like the touchpad or bluetooth. Check BIOS is up to date. Turn off all startup items under task manager that aren't related to hardware as this should substantially increase your available memory, and disable your antivirus/malware for testing purposes. I am willing to bet there is a lot of background processes going on with your memory being low. Likely related to startup items, bloatware, or other apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS