[SOLVED] Not sure if a fan header is enough

May 15, 2021
I am new to building computers but i know that they are cheaper than buying a pre built one so i decided to build one this time around but i am kinda confused about my motherboards fan headers. My motherboard an MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX only has 1 fan header but my case a sharkoon pure steel comes with 4 already pre installed fans one at the back and three at the bottom. I have looked this up before on google and even on youtube and this far i see people telling me that 4 fans won't fit with just 1 fan header at least not without a fan splitter but i have also seen people only plugging one fan on their motherboard fan header and the other 3 just work perfectly fine. So i am just really confused of if i need just 1 fan header without a splitter for the one fan at the back and the rest are pre connected to something else and just work on their own or if i should get a fan splitter. Should i just get a fan splitter or will the one fan header work just fine?

Solution
I am new to building computers but i know that they are cheaper than buying a pre built one so i decided to build one this time around but i am kinda confused about my motherboards fan headers. My motherboard an MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX only has 1 fan header but my case a sharkoon pure steel comes with 4 already pre installed fans one at the back and three at the bottom. I have looked this up before on google and even on youtube and this far i see people telling me that 4 fans won't fit with just 1 fan header at least not without a fan splitter but i have also seen people only plugging one fan on their motherboard fan header and the other 3 just work perfectly fine. So i am just really confused of if i need just 1 fan header without a...
May 15, 2021
What is the total amperes count of the 4 fans?
I have no clue. I tried searching it up on sharkoon's page and google. All i know is that they are argb fans. Although if i just search up on google sharkoon pure steel fans it comes up with these fans. So those fans are pretty much my best guess.

I am new to building computers but i know that they are cheaper than buying a pre built one so i decided to build one this time around but i am kinda confused about my motherboards fan headers. My motherboard an MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX only has 1 fan header but my case a sharkoon pure steel comes with 4 already pre installed fans one at the back and three at the bottom. I have looked this up before on google and even on youtube and this far i see people telling me that 4 fans won't fit with just 1 fan header at least not without a fan splitter but i have also seen people only plugging one fan on their motherboard fan header and the other 3 just work perfectly fine. So i am just really confused of if i need just 1 fan header without a splitter for the one fan at the back and the rest are pre connected to something else and just work on their own or if i should get a fan splitter. Should i just get a fan splitter or will the one fan header work just fine?
I'd not try to run all four fans (plus the CPU fan?) off of that one header with only a simple splitter as that's asking for trouble. You'll want a controller/hub, something like this, which will get power from a Molex or SATA power connector. Since there's only one motherboard header only one can be speed monitored and it's probably for the CPU fan so be sure to connect it all up to monitor that fan.

Solution
May 15, 2021
I'd not try to run all four fans (plus the CPU fan?) off of that one header with only a simple splitter as that's asking for trouble. You'll want a controller/hub, something like this, which will get power from a Molex or SATA power connector. Since there's only one motherboard header only one can be speed monitored and it's probably for the CPU fan so be sure to connect it all up to monitor that fan.
There are actually 2 fan headers but one is just for the cpu cooler so i didn't mention that part. Also i wasn't actually planning on getting a splitter i was planning on getting this fan hub just in case i get more fans in the future. I just wanted to know if i should get it or not.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
There are actually 2 fan headers but one is just for the cpu cooler so i didn't mention that part. Also i wasn't actually planning on getting a splitter i was planning on getting this fan hub just in case i get more fans in the future. I just wanted to know if i should get it or not.

That hub's going to get it's power from a SATA power plug, so yes, it's a good idea to get it (or something similar). Just don't try to run more than 2 fans off of one fan header as it's simply asking for problems.

I'm not sure how that one works but if it lets the motherboard header control the fan speed and monitor fan RPM it will do fine, that's what I'd be interested in. All four of the case fans may have to follow the same fan control but at least you're not taking a chance of overloading the one motherboard header.

It's good to know there's a separate header for the CPU fan too.

May 15, 2021
That hub's going to get it's power from a SATA power plug, so yes, it's a good idea to get it (or something similar). Just don't try to run more than 2 fans off of one fan header as it's simply asking for problems.

I'm not sure how that one works but if it lets the motherboard header control the fan speed and monitor fan RPM it will do fine, that's what I'd be interested in. All four of the case fans may have to follow the same fan control but at least you're not taking a chance of overloading the one motherboard header.

It's good to know there's a separate header for the CPU fan too.
Is it that important to be able to control the fan speed and the fan RPM? To me it just seems like something that is good to have but not neccessary

Is it that important to be able to control the fan speed and the fan RPM? To me it just seems like something that is good to have but not neccessary
You're right to a point. For instance, if the fans that come with the case do the job of cooling well enough and are quiet even at 100% RPM then it's unnecessary, and especially so since they're RGB so it should be obvious if one stops spinning. In which case you don't even need a hub...just a splitter that attaches to a SATA cable. It should be a bit cheaper that way.

But I avoid RGB and toss the (usually pretty cheap) fans that come with most cases. I also prefer ones with way more fan speed than needed for light useage (included case fans are usually low speed to be quiet) so I can throttle them up when the CPU gets hot, as when rendering out a video. When high(er) speed fans are throttled up even really good ones can be rather annoying, so I want them to throttle down when the processor's cool and not working hard.

And then if you always wear headphones when at the computer, it simply won't matter. The only fan that can be important to monitor RPM and control speed is the CPU fan, so you don't risk harming it should it fail to operate.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021
Oh ok. Well thank you for all of your help, you cannot imagine how much i apreciate it. I will just propably get the fan hub i showed earlier but i might look into yours as well or another one with fan control. Thank you very much