[SOLVED] Not sure if my PC is dying.

potche

Reputable
May 11, 2016
Here's my specs.
Interesting details include : both of the inner fans on my 1070 have not worked for 2 years,
my plastic CPU cooler fan also does not work, the heat sink is still there though.
My score on Furmark ( Preset 1920x1080 ) is 5870.
I have never had any heat issues.

fO2bz0G.png

My main reason for writing this begins on new years. I came back to my PC loop BSODing, apparently my SSD I corrupted and even the technician I hired couldn't fix it, so I ended up buying a new one. It's been on my mind for a long time but I feel like my computer is slowly losing it's ability to perform... like I can't run things as well anymore. I don't think I'll ever have the money to replace things like the GPU and the CPU either as they were either all saved for individually or gifts from friends and family. My friend and I play No Man's Sky at my house sometimes and when I watch his new MSI GF75 Thin with a 1060 run ultra at 110 fps while my 1070 + i7 can NEVER get above 80 with any setting combination, I am quite intimidated.

My career runs off of being a video editor to scale the weight of my worry on this.

I use this computer for rendering very effect intensive videos, graphics modded to sh*t skyrim, and competitive FPS games at lowest settings. It's at least tried to be a jack of all trades.
I also have an oculus rift which after the BSOD fiasco is EXTREMELY laggy and almost completely unusable whereas there were hardly any issues before this happened.

My temps have never gone above max 83c in any game or program, so I don't really know how bad the fans missing are?

It's also worth mentioning I guess that after I reinstalled windows on my new SSD, Microsoft Framework 3.5 WILL NOT INSTALL. I have contacted windows support and worked with their staff for multiple days, I can't even fix the problem by using upgrade windows on windows media creation tool. Updates to the framework always fail and loop failing and retrying. I don't know if that effects anything -

also I drop to 0 fps randomly in any game I play on any settings.
Like a full computer freeze for about 0.5 seconds.

TLDR I am very worried about my computer and don't know how to check if there's a serious problem.

Solution
Um, fans are kind of important.

I can't imagine both fans on the 1070 having died already, sounds more like they just aren't running. 83C is the typical maximum temperature allowed on an Nvidia GPU by default. The key here is to know what clock speeds it is reaching, it sit and run at 83C all day, but if it is only running 800Mhz instead of the 1900Mhz or so it is capable of, that would explain the discrepancy.

CPU is the same, it will have an automatic throttle point.

Fans are not that expensive, so replacing the one on the CPU should be pretty simple if it is just 80mm/92mm/120mm. If it is a stock fan, also very easy to get replacements. Lot of people replace Intel stock coolers even on low end CPUs for looks or fitment. And...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

I can't imagine both fans on the 1070 having died already, sounds more like they just aren't running. 83C is the typical maximum temperature allowed on an Nvidia GPU by default. The key here is to know what clock speeds it is reaching, it sit and run at 83C all day, but if it is only running 800Mhz instead of the 1900Mhz or so it is capable of, that would explain the discrepancy.

Fans are not that expensive, so replacing the one on the CPU should be pretty simple if it is just 80mm/92mm/120mm. If it is a stock fan, also very easy to get replacements. Lot of people replace Intel stock coolers even on low end CPUs for looks or fitment. And aftermarket equivalents are generally under $25.

I can easily see the Oculus driving the GPU to a much worse throttle point quickly. Fairly demanding hardware.

.NET 3.5 is usually a simple add windows features option, might require the Windows media to install it. If you are trying to install it as standalone media from a game or something, probably just out of date.

If that isn't working, not sure what to tell you if the system drive is new.

Solution

potche

Reputable
May 11, 2016

Fans are not that expensive, so replacing the one on the CPU should be pretty simple if it is just 80mm/92mm/120mm. If it is a stock fan, also very easy to get replacements. Lot of people replace Intel stock coolers even on low end CPUs for looks or fitment. And aftermarket equivalents are generally under $25.

I can easily see the Oculus driving the GPU to a much worse throttle point quickly. Fairly demanding hardware.

.NET 3.5 is usually a simple add windows features option, might require the Windows media to install it. If you are trying to install it as standalone media from a game or something, probably just out of date.

If that isn't working, not sure what to tell you if the system drive is new.

alright, I did not know the technicalities of my hardware. pretty silly of me to let it be like this. lol.
Thank you very much, I will replace them shortly and tell you what changes.