Question not sure what to do..

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
hello I am kind of confused on what I should do regarding my cooler, currently I am using the stock cooler, mainly due to the other cooler I have (cooler master hyper 212) giving strange temperature readings. when running stock cooler my temperatures seem normal (around 25-31°C idle and 45°C at full load) however when I installed the cooler master my temperature readings are way below what I would consider normal, like single digit degree, ive seen it as low as 2°C but on average it reads around 9°C on idle and no more than 25° under full load. these strange readings prompted me to uninstall the cooler master and reinstall the stock cooler. I even tried reinstalling cooler master awhile later when I seen stock temperatures seem normal enough, with similar results. each time I clean old paste and reapply new, I do like the cooler master cooler much better than the stock but my worry is why are these readings so far off with the cooler master cooler? clearly my CPU is not running at 2-6°C but I would say the sensors seem fine when stock cooler readings seem much more reasonable. has anyone else experienced this? my worry would be over heating the CPU if the temperature readings are in fact so far off with the cooler master. or is the cooler master cooler that much better these readings (around 9°C idle with balanced power mode) seem normal ?

system is
windows 10 home 64bit
amd fx6300
GA-78LMT-S2
8Gb DDR3 ram
AMD Radeon R7 250 2Gb

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The FX series of chips is well known for improperly measuring low CPU temperatures. If they are too cool the numbers make no sense. They built the sensor to be accurate at warm values only. They also use an offset so that the true temperature isn't really related to the measurement they provide.

Without much doubt the Hyper 212 is the superior cooler when properly installed.

"
Yep they use math to guess the temperature, this is done to provide more accurate temperature readings over 45 degrees centigrade than a motherboard thermal diode will (the hotter they get the less accurate they are), below 45 it's not very accurate at all (hence some people seeing temps at 0 degrees even in a warm room).

AMD's overdrive utility shows the thermal margin between current temps and thermal throttling (62 degrees) and it's the ONLY software that properly reads temps from FX cpus (all the others try to read it as if it were actually a physical temperature, which is why they're not very reliable)
"

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
using AMD overdrive I was getting thermal margins of 50°C (under full load) with the cooler master installed. which was still indicating below ambient temperatures, perhaps this cooler is just too good for this CPU. I just worry that if readings are inaccurate than I will damage the CPU.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The readings are inaccurate when read out, not actually inaccurate for AMD's purposes. They were designed to work internally to the CPU, just that it operates so differently from other CPUs that most tools don't read it right.

Sounds like it is fine. I would put the better cooler back on there. Not going to hurt anything.