Not sure wheter to upgrade my GPU or CPU.

Yasen

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Look, I know very little about PC hardware but I do know what bottlenecking is. I created this question because I wanted to know things especially for my system. My computer is 3 years old already and it wasn't that great for it's time either. I have the cash for a Palit GTX 1050 Ti but I'm not sure whether I shouldn't upgrade my GPU first. My PC specs are as follows:
RAM: 8 GB (7.96 usable, I am not sure what this means, sorry)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 630
HDD: 1 TB
CPU: Intel Pentium G2030 Dual-Core @ 3.00 GHz
So, is it okay to upgrade to a GTX 1050 Ti? If not, what CPU/GPU should I purchase? Keep in mind that I am a uni student so I am on a tight budget. A quick respone would be much appreciated.

DigitalHamster

Respectable
Nov 10, 2016
A few quick thoughts on the matter...
Although I do not know what you are using your computer for, the bottlenecking is likely due to the GT630 or the G2030.

The G2030 is not a very powerful chip, and it has only two cores. It would be a good idea to get a CPU with 4 cores and a similar clockspeed for better performance. I would recommend an Intel i5, but they are expensive and will push your budget.
The GT630 is a very basic GPU, and although it has 2GB of onboard VRAM, it lacks performance. If you are purely looking for a GPU upgrade, the GTX1050 will be a huge upgrade. However, it will be held back by the G2030 on games, if it can even run more demanding ones.

I have not recommended any parts as you seem to have your mind set on getting the 1050, but I hope I said something useful :)

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
Depending on your motherboard, you might be able to upgrade to something like a 3570k or maybe a 3770k and that would be a HUGE upgrade. If you add the better processor with the 1050, 1050ti, or 1060, you'll be in good shape for quite a while, most likely. I would try to figure out what motherboard you have, do a little research and see what processors it supports and buy the most powerful processor that it can handle, with a new better CPU heatsink/fan.

Yasen

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Turns out my motherboard is H61M-S1 manifactured by Gigabyte. In the Gigabyte site it says that it supports all of the Intel CPUs up to I7 3770K. Unfortunately, I just called the guy who suppllied me with components last time (shady guy but his parts are origianal and gives them to me for lowered prices than retail. Also a great friend of mine). Told me he can only get me the newest Intel Core i7 CPUs (above 5500) for fair prices. Now I have to change motherboard too :/ Thank you all for the help, guys. I simply didn't want to bother my friend much. Without you I would have totally screwed up my PC. Seems like the upgrade will be happening next year (again) :D