Question Not Using HDD to Improve Performance

DarkKnight53

Commendable
May 19, 2017
Currently I'm using one 250 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD but when every time I have to move some files on the hard drive my pc slows down like a turtle and it annoys me. Also I feel like the hard drive reduces the speed of boot ups, virus scans etc.

So my plan is to remove that hard drive, get an Intel 660P 512GB M2 SSD and use it with my current SSD. Sometimes I record my gameplays with friends and when every time I do that, I can connect the HDD back and store the records in there but in daily runs I don't want to keep the HDD attached to the system.

I wanted to use an M2 SSD to get rid of some cables, get better performance and run everything at the speed of light on the desktop.

My question is, does removing Hard Drive improve performance or am I just hallucinating? I think 750 GB SSD would be enough for me does it worth the price I pay?

Via SATA connection, most SSDs will provide Read/Write speeds in the neighborhood of 530/500 MB/s. For comparison, a 7200 RPM SATA drive manages around 100MB/s depending on age, condition, and level of fragmentation. NVMe drives, on the other hand, provide write speeds as high as 3500MB/s. That's 7x over SATA SSDs! So the prices of a 1tb nvme have dropped considerably and is definitely worth the price IMHO.

Reactions: DarkKnight53

popatim

Titan
Antivirus is probably doing a startup scan on these drives so it naturally should be quicker on an SSD.
Also, you may have installed apps onto the HDD that load when you boot up; these would be faster on an SSD also.

The 660p is only ~1800/1500 mb/s. It's still plenty fast and well worth the price with 1TB going for about $100
With a good USB3 enclosure, the HDD should work just fine as an external and only a tiny bit slower then when installed internally.

Reactions: DarkKnight53