News Notepad on Windows 11 gets long overdue spellcheck feature

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
This is pointless, the point of notepad is to be lightweight.
This should be a feature for wordpad, which MS is removing from windows.
How does it make it less lightweight? The spell checker sounds like a universal OS feature external to the actual notepad program, and almost any computer will have the resources to handle it.

Reactions: salgado18

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
I strongly disagree with adding features to notepad.

I use notepad as a scratchpad to compose short scripts and commands before copy/paste to live systems. Often times those commands contain keys that need to be ephemeral. Imagine my surprise when notepad started remembering history, and past commands and keys could be recalled.

Now it seems things typed in notepad will be sent to external applications and/or cloud services for spelling. Nice they see the problem and offer exceptions to certain file types, but I wonder what happens when it's not a file being opened, but just used as a scratchpad.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I am in the camp of leaving Notepad alone.
I use it specifically because it has almost zero features and nothing gets in the way.

If I need editor features then I move over to Notepad++, VS Code, or any one of the other hundreds of available editors out there.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Notepad needs only one new feature: multiple ctrl-Z steps. The last time I used it (Windows 10), undo only did one step, which was plain useless. Add that and it becomes a safe text editor (mistakes happen, you need to roll them back).

But I don't oppose adding new features like this to Notepad, like opening new files in tabs, or even identation suport. Ubuntu's Notepad is very useful because of them, but can't replace more powerful editors, which is fine. The Windows Notepad has always been an MVP of a text editor, ever since ancient times.

Reactions: 35below0

Jack63SS

Reputable
May 28, 2019
Sorry, but to me "lightweight" means fast and easy. If the default for Wordpad was .txt then IT would be lightweight and fast. Having less features does NOT make it faster any longer.