[NPP] Rogues and Brigands

Having lost a rather high level warrior lately I was looking at the various
rogue dumps and realized that they all had insanely high to hit bonuses (+100)
due to their massive dex. So anyway I thought I would have a hit at one and
have a change from a warrior.

So messing around with a brigand and a rogue at low levels they both have
"Ruthlessly sneak attacks" instead of a normal sneak attack.

Anyone know the exact game mechanics of how this is different from a normal
sneak attack?

I would assume due to the fact that they are a stealth based class it is a
straight critical hit? Or is that how a normal sneak attack works? Any
information on either would be great.

Also, from what I can see the brigand is essentially a stealthed fighter...so
what does that make a rogue? Just a watered down stealthed fighter?

New to the whole rogue game so any help would be appreciated.

--
"Omnia mors aequat"
"Death levels all distinctions"

"Severoth" <severoth@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> Having lost a rather high level warrior lately I was looking at the
various
> rogue dumps and realized that they all had insanely high to hit bonuses
(+100)
> due to their massive dex. So anyway I thought I would have a hit at one
and
> have a change from a warrior.

Rogues/Brigands get a bonus to-hit with ranged attacks when wielding a
sling. They do not get any special combat to-hit bonuses. That may be what
you are seeing.

> So messing around with a brigand and a rogue at low levels they both have
> "Ruthlessly sneak attacks" instead of a normal sneak attack.
>
> Anyone know the exact game mechanics of how this is different from a
normal
> sneak attack?

That is a bonus to-hit against sleeping monsters. Take the chance of
hitting a monster, and add 5 + 1 for every 5th player level. Players with
the ROGUE_COMBAT flag (brigands/rogues) get this bonus increased by 50%.

> Also, from what I can see the brigand is essentially a stealthed
fighter...so
> what does that make a rogue? Just a watered down stealthed fighter?

Brigands are slightly weaker fighters with different stat bonuses, and
better stealth, but no spellcasting ability. They can also set traps and
get teh various combat abilities mentioned above. Rogues are significantly
weaker fighters with better stealth and those other combat abilities, but
they can cast spells.

--
-Jeff

replace the ".spam"s with comcast.net to reply

Author of NPPAngband. Check it out at:
http://home.comcast.net/~nppangband/

Ralf Arens wrote:
> Jeff Greene <nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam>:
>
>>"Severoth" <severoth@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>
>>>Also, from what I can see the brigand is essentially a stealthed
>>>fighter...so what does that make a rogue? Just a watered down
>>>stealthed fighter?
>
>>Brigands are slightly weaker fighters with different stat bonuses, and
>>better stealth, but no spellcasting ability. They can also set traps and
>>get teh various combat abilities mentioned above. Rogues are significantly
>>weaker fighters with better stealth and those other combat abilities, but
>>they can cast spells.
>
> A note about trap setting: use it! At first I forgot about it but now
> I use it regularly. My favourite setup:
>
> #Z#
> #Z#
> #^#####
> # @^
> #######
>
> The trap above will take the first stars from the approaching monsters
> or even kill them, while the other trap keeps my back free.

Are you mad? The hounds can breathe on you from that position. I'd pick

#Z#
#Z###
# ^@^
#####

They step on the first trap, then you get a round, all before they can
breathe on you.

Hmm, Actually my favorites are:

#####
ZZZ #
###^#
@ #
#####

and (using STM)

#Z#
#Z####
#Z##@#
# Z^
######

Variants on this one work against non-stupid monsters ('0', 'd', 'T'),
as well as against hounds. With the trap in the main corridor, or even
slightly around the corner, smarter monsters further back in line "take
note of your cunning ways", and evade the traps.

T/O's solution is dangerous in NPP, because AI lets the trailers go
into the corner and breathe directly.

T/O's may be the better solution, but not for the reason he states.
You need to put the trap around a corner, or the trailing monsters
"take note of your crafty ways", and are too wary to step on the trap.
In the second configuration, the trailing hound will take area damage
(if any), but not step on the trap. The hound behind him will step on
the trap unwarily.

However, T/O's solution isn't so good, because AI will let the second
hound come around the corner and breathe directly on the player (this
doesn't happen in Vanilla.)

To get the best of both worlds, you can create a corner like this,
using STM:

# #
#Z#
#Z####
#Z##@####
# Z^
########

I'm not sure if the following works, because the trailers may be able
to see the trap go off:

#####
ZZZ #
###^#
@ #
#####

On 2005-04-07 12:34:14, "Jeff Greene" <nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam,> wrote:

> "Severoth" wrote in message
> > Having lost a rather high level warrior lately I was looking at the
> various
> > rogue dumps and realized that they all had insanely high to hit bonuses
> (+100)
> > due to their massive dex. So anyway I thought I would have a hit at one
> and
> > have a change from a warrior.
>
> Rogues/Brigands get a bonus to-hit with ranged attacks when wielding a
> sling. They do not get any special combat to-hit bonuses. That may be what
> you are seeing.
>

> > So messing around with a brigand and a rogue at low levels they both have
> > "Ruthlessly sneak attacks" instead of a normal sneak attack.
> >
> > Anyone know the exact game mechanics of how this is different from a
> normal
> > sneak attack?
>
> That is a bonus to-hit against sleeping monsters. Take the chance of
> hitting a monster, and add 5 + 1 for every 5th player level. Players with
> the ROGUE_COMBAT flag (brigands/rogues) get this bonus increased by 50%.
>

> > Also, from what I can see the brigand is essentially a stealthed
> fighter...so
> > what does that make a rogue? Just a watered down stealthed fighter?
>
> Brigands are slightly weaker fighters with different stat bonuses, and
> better stealth, but no spellcasting ability. They can also set traps and
> get teh various combat abilities mentioned above. Rogues are significantly
> weaker fighters with better stealth and those other combat abilities, but
> they can cast spells.
>
> --
> -Jeff
>
> replace the ".spam"s with comcast.net to reply
>
> Author of NPPAngband. Check it out at:
> http://home.comcast.net/~nppangband/

Thanks for that! :)

They keep dying though...they break to easily :(

--
"Omnia mors aequat"
"Death levels all distinctions"

Sorry for the duplicate posts. I got caught in a google news hiccup.

Severoth wrote:
> Having lost a rather high level warrior lately I was looking at the various
> rogue dumps and realized that they all had insanely high to hit bonuses (+100)
> due to their massive dex. So anyway I thought I would have a hit at one and
> have a change from a warrior.
>
> So messing around with a brigand and a rogue at low levels they both have
> "Ruthlessly sneak attacks" instead of a normal sneak attack.
>
> Anyone know the exact game mechanics of how this is different from a normal
> sneak attack?
>
> I would assume due to the fact that they are a stealth based class it is a
> straight critical hit? Or is that how a normal sneak attack works? Any
> information on either would be great.
>
> Also, from what I can see the brigand is essentially a stealthed fighter...so
> what does that make a rogue? Just a watered down stealthed fighter?
>
> New to the whole rogue game so any help would be appreciated.

One major difference is that Rogues can cast spells, brigands can't.

Yeah I know that, was just wondering what else set them apart.

Anyone know how the stealing system works as well? Pits of Angband were pretty
narked with my characters :)

--

Twisted One wrote:
> Ralf Arens wrote:

>> A note about trap setting: use it! At first I forgot about it but now
>> I use it regularly. My favourite setup:
>>
>> #Z#
>> #Z#
>> #^#####
>> # @^
>> #######
>
> Are you mad? The hounds can breathe on you from that position. I'd pick

No, they cannot. Not in NPP. NPP has symmetrical LoS. If you can target
monster, it can target you and vice versa.

Timo Pietilä

"Jeff Greene" <nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam,> writes:

> Rogues/Brigands get a bonus to-hit with ranged attacks when wielding a
> sling. They do not get any special combat to-hit bonuses. That may be what
> you are seeing.

> That is a bonus to-hit against sleeping monsters. Take the chance of
> hitting a monster, and add 5 + 1 for every 5th player level. Players with
> the ROGUE_COMBAT flag (brigands/rogues) get this bonus increased by 50%.

It would be nice if these were mentioned explicitly in raceclas.txt.

It would also be nice if the rogue description in raceclas.txt
mentioned the 'O' command.

Eddie