NT & XP Pro Peer to Peer

My main PC is a Win XP (SP2a) Pro is fully up to date
with patches and it connects to the internet through a
residential gateway, LinkSys Cable modem and LinkSys
Ether fast Cable/DSL router with no problem.
I have an old IBM 760XL laptop running NT Ver 4 (SP6a) it
also connects to the internet through the same
residential gateway with no problem. In the past the
same IBM NT laptop with (SP4) was set up to run a Win 95
peer-to-peer workgroup and was able to file share and
print. Since then I have added a few service packs but
not tested the P-T-P connection.
The NT laptop has TCP/IP and NetBEUI protocol setup
The XP Pro has Client for MS Network, File& Print Sharing
for MS Network, QoS Packet Scheduler, Network monitor
driver, and TCP/IP protocols set up.

When I double click on workgroup it does not find the
other computer on both systems. Both workgroups are set
up to Home. What is the problem?

Since Windows NT is involved you'll probably need to enable NetBIOS over
TCP/IP on the network connection for Windows XP and make sure they're on the
same subnet and the default gateway is correct if a router is involved or
blank if no router.

Best to remove any unused protocols such as NetBEUI

You'll want to create an account (in Users and Passwords) on the WinXP
machines with the username and password that you use to logon to the Windows
NT machine with. Likewise you'll need to create an account (in User Manager)
on the NT machine with the username and password that you use to logon to
the Win2k/XP machines with. Then you'll need to share out the resource(s)
with permissions for those users. Also make sure they're all part of the
same workgroup. Then you'll no longer be prompted for the IPC$ password
(Inter-process communication)

In a peer level workgroup, when you try to access resources on a Windows
NT/2000/XP/2003 machine, Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 needs to authenticate the
user. If the user account doesn't exist in it's local account database, then
access will be denied.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bob Podmore" <RPodmore@Cox*nospam*.net> wrote in message
| My main PC is a Win XP (SP2a) Pro is fully up to date
| with patches and it connects to the internet through a
| residential gateway, LinkSys Cable modem and LinkSys
| Ether fast Cable/DSL router with no problem.
| I have an old IBM 760XL laptop running NT Ver 4 (SP6a) it
| also connects to the internet through the same
| residential gateway with no problem. In the past the
| same IBM NT laptop with (SP4) was set up to run a Win 95
| peer-to-peer workgroup and was able to file share and
| print. Since then I have added a few service packs but
| not tested the P-T-P connection.
| The NT laptop has TCP/IP and NetBEUI protocol setup
| The XP Pro has Client for MS Network, File& Print Sharing
| for MS Network, QoS Packet Scheduler, Network monitor
| driver, and TCP/IP protocols set up.
|
| When I double click on workgroup it does not find the
| other computer on both systems. Both workgroups are set
| up to Home. What is the problem?

Thank you for a propmt reply, I am sure it will work.
Thanks Again. Bob

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Bob Podmore" <RPodmore@Cox*nospam*.net> wrote in
message
>| My main PC is a Win XP (SP2a) Pro is fully up to date
>| with patches and it connects to the internet through a
>| residential gateway, LinkSys Cable modem and LinkSys
>| Ether fast Cable/DSL router with no problem.
>| I have an old IBM 760XL laptop running NT Ver 4 (SP6a)
it
>| also connects to the internet through the same
>| residential gateway with no problem. In the past the
>| same IBM NT laptop with (SP4) was set up to run a Win
95
>| peer-to-peer workgroup and was able to file share and
>| print. Since then I have added a few service packs but
>| not tested the P-T-P connection.
>| The NT laptop has TCP/IP and NetBEUI protocol setup
>| The XP Pro has Client for MS Network, File& Print
Sharing
>| for MS Network, QoS Packet Scheduler, Network monitor
>| driver, and TCP/IP protocols set up.
>|
>| When I double click on workgroup it does not find the
>| other computer on both systems. Both workgroups are
set
>| up to Home. What is the problem?
>|

>.

I have a similar problem, the difference being I have
difficulty getting the proper access rights
after "logging" into a NT domain with an XP machine.
I have created an account (in Users and Passwords) on the
WinXP machine with the username and password that I have
configured to use to logon to the Windows NT machine(in
User Manager.

The setup is as follows: File server is Window NT Server
4.0, clients are a mixture of Windows 98, XP PRO and XP
HOME machines. Clients are connected to the server via a
hub. One XP HOME machine is used as a mail/internet
gateway (2 NIC's one to the hub and one to the DSL
router). All machine have mail/internet access via
gateway.

Problems:
1. Windows 98 machines sometimes drop the mail/internet
connection thus requiring a machine restart.
2. Windows XP machines never drop this connection.
However, some XP machines cannot access network resources.
(Access Denied message).

Can you help me with this problem?

Regards

Colin

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Bob Podmore" <RPodmore@Cox*nospam*.net> wrote in message
>| My main PC is a Win XP (SP2a) Pro is fully up to date
>| with patches and it connects to the internet through a
>| residential gateway, LinkSys Cable modem and LinkSys
>| Ether fast Cable/DSL router with no problem.
>| I have an old IBM 760XL laptop running NT Ver 4 (SP6a)
it
>| also connects to the internet through the same
>| residential gateway with no problem. In the past the
>| same IBM NT laptop with (SP4) was set up to run a Win 95
>| peer-to-peer workgroup and was able to file share and
>| print. Since then I have added a few service packs but
>| not tested the P-T-P connection.
>| The NT laptop has TCP/IP and NetBEUI protocol setup
>| The XP Pro has Client for MS Network, File& Print
Sharing
>| for MS Network, QoS Packet Scheduler, Network monitor
>| driver, and TCP/IP protocols set up.
>|
>| When I double click on workgroup it does not find the
>| other computer on both systems. Both workgroups are set
>| up to Home. What is the problem?
>|

>.

Since Windows XP machines can not be domain members this may be part of your
problem. Windows XP Home also has a 5 connection limit which may be a
problem with your mail/internet gateway.

--

"Colin Bonner" wrote:
|I have a similar problem, the difference being I have
| difficulty getting the proper access rights
| after "logging" into a NT domain with an XP machine.
| I have created an account (in Users and Passwords) on the
| WinXP machine with the username and password that I have
| configured to use to logon to the Windows NT machine(in
| User Manager.
|
| The setup is as follows: File server is Window NT Server
| 4.0, clients are a mixture of Windows 98, XP PRO and XP
| HOME machines. Clients are connected to the server via a
| hub. One XP HOME machine is used as a mail/internet
| gateway (2 NIC's one to the hub and one to the DSL
| router). All machine have mail/internet access via
| gateway.
|
| Problems:
| 1. Windows 98 machines sometimes drop the mail/internet
| connection thus requiring a machine restart.
| 2. Windows XP machines never drop this connection.
| However, some XP machines cannot access network resources.
| (Access Denied message).
|
| Can you help me with this problem?
|
| Regards
|
| Colin

Should have been;
"Since Windows XP Home machines .........."