Question ntoskrnl.exe causing BSOD + shut down when computer is slept

Aug 14, 2020
Hi all!

I've been unable to properly diagnose a problem that's been happening with my computer only for the last 3 months without any hardware changes; my computer is now unable to sleep properly. More often than not when I enter sleep mode the computer powers down as it normal, but all fans continue to hum and the status LED stays on, as if it's still awake. The screens are black and not receiving signal, and it is impossible to wake the computer from this state without a hard restart. After 5 or so minutes of this is the computer shuts down (deleting unsaved work, etc) and displays the ntoskrnl.exe error in whocrashed / event viewer on the next boot. I've actually sometimes seen this happen when shutting down the computer, but it's very rare and displays a BSOD.

It's worth noting that my current build is a bit of an odd one, but it's had no trouble until the last three months (it's been running fine for about 12+). My build has a top end 2012 motherboard and an i5 ivy bridge CPU, but with a very recent 5600 XT Powercolor GPU, + some generic 16gb DDR3 samsung ram sticks. Not sure if this would affect anything, but I'm running the build in a 'Sleeper build' case - to do so I've had to make some custom wiring to the ancient proprietary front IO; utilising some unused 5V fan header pins as additional voltage for it. Like I said this build had a long period of running completely issue-free so it's very confusing.

Things I've tried (with no success):
  • Reinstalling GPU drivers fresh (using AMD gpu driver clean install facility) and rolling them back several times
  • Memcheck
  • Resetting BIOS to remove Overclocking
  • SFC scannow
  • CHKDSK
  • Defrag
  • Registry cleaning
  • Fresh install of Windows 10

I have the dump file available here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SG1KGKXXOyFn-s-J-J1XGwlsPUnUvaOD/view?usp=sharing

Thanks all!

Aug 14, 2020
Forgot to mention that I've played with all the power settings a million times over. The current settings are near enough default but I've changed it so:

• the processor is running at 100 percent (performance) - I've changed this to default and nothing has changed
  • the computer isn't prevented from falling asleep when media is played (changed nothing)
  • hard disk never turns off (doesn't change anything)

Changing all these settings to default does not affect the problem from what I can see.

Aug 14, 2020
Go to windows PowerShell (admin) type perfmon /rel and see if it gives you any info.

This was an interesting experiment, I'll show some findings.

A couple of things stand out. The usual 'shut down unexpectedly' is found here, pointing me towards the dump for info (first image). However on one of the days an unexpected shut down happened it says 'hardware error' (second). I'm going to take a look in my computer this week and find if there's something that isn't seated correctly. Regardless, every day there is a DipAwayMode.exe 'stopped working' which I assume doesn't have anything to do with it but is notable; it apparently comes from my AI Suite III fan controller - it's worth saying that I installed AI Suite III on a system that only allows AI Suite II using a forum workaround, but like I said this worked for months with no problems.