nVideo nForce - no sound with video playback, otherwise ok

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Okay, I just replaced my old ABit BH6 (with ISA-based AWE32 sound
card) with an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe.

I'm running XP Pro

All appeared to go well, I get sound in games, when playing back MP3
files, etc BUT when I try and play back media files (.AVI files for
example) I don't get any sound at all, irrespective of the player I'm
using (whether it's Windows Media Player, The Core Media Player, BS
Player, etc).

I didn't do a clean install of Windows XP, I did a Repair so can't
help thinking that the system has become a bit confused on the audio
side.

I've tried replacing the driver for the nForce MCP Audio Processing
Unit but to no avail.

I have the following Sound, video and game controller drivers listed
under Device Manager:

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface
NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) MCP Audio Processing Unit (Dolby(R) Digital)
Standard Game Port
Video Codecs

Can anyone help please?

Should I remove all the above drivers and let XP re-detect them?

Should I re-install DirectX?

Thanks,
Phil

phil wrote:
> Okay, I just replaced my old ABit BH6 (with ISA-based AWE32 sound
> card) with an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe.
>
> I'm running XP Pro
>
> All appeared to go well, I get sound in games, when playing back MP3
> files, etc BUT when I try and play back media files (.AVI files for
> example) I don't get any sound at all, irrespective of the player I'm
> using (whether it's Windows Media Player, The Core Media Player, BS
> Player, etc).
>
> I didn't do a clean install of Windows XP, I did a Repair so can't
> help thinking that the system has become a bit confused on the audio
> side.

When you change chipset, that really is an opportune moment to reinstall
from scratch. There have been a VAST number of improvements in underlying
technologies between the BX chipsets and the nForce2. For a start, ACPI and
APIC. Many people have had problems relating to these features and their
sound.

However, since you have audio in some circumstances but not others, I would
say that your drivers and hardware are fine. I would suspect the problem to
be in codecs for video. AVI is audio and video interleave, and dodgy codecs
cannot properly separate the two channels - thus you end up with just video,
or sometimes, just audio.

Again, I have noticed that many players cannot decode DivX properly on my
system; where Windows Media Player 6 and 9 as well as RealPlayer will fail
to give me both audio and video, the DivX Player 2 will work flawlessly.

> I've tried replacing the driver for the nForce MCP Audio Processing
> Unit but to no avail.
>
> I have the following Sound, video and game controller drivers listed
> under Device Manager:
>
> Audio Codecs
> Legacy Audio Drivers
> Legacy Video Capture Devices
> Media Control Devices
> MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
> NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface
> NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) MCP Audio Processing Unit (Dolby(R) Digital)
> Standard Game Port
> Video Codecs
>

> Can anyone help please?
>
> Should I remove all the above drivers and let XP re-detect them?

Thats my general recommendation for driver related problems, but instead I
would just install the latest nForce Driver Package (4.14) from nVidias
website. Link in my FAQ below.

> Should I re-install DirectX?

Nah.

Ben

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

On Fri, 28 May 2004 21:55:52 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> Should I remove all the above drivers and let XP re-detect them?
>
>Thats my general recommendation for driver related problems, but instead I
>would just install the latest nForce Driver Package (4.14) from nVidias
>website. Link in my FAQ below.

Thanks for the info Ben. Now tried that but no luck. However, on
trying to play the file with DivX Player it moaned of the absence of a
codec to play Tag 353 files. So I downloaded:

http://www.moviecodec.com/download/divx_audio_402.zip

installed it and all is well. :)

Well, almost ....... now The Core Media Player won't play MP3 files
(although Winamp, etc handles them just fine).

Weird. Ah well, no big deal. :)

Thanks again for your help,
Phil

phil wrote:
> http://www.moviecodec.com/download/divx_audio_402.zip
>
> installed it and all is well. :)
>
> Well, almost ....... now The Core Media Player won't play MP3 files
> (although Winamp, etc handles them just fine).

Winamp uses it's own MP3 codec, so that makes sense.

Not sure how to fix the mp3 issue though, reinstalling the original mp3
codec might do it, it probably depends if the above mentioned codec is
additional to mp3 the or replaces it.

Ben

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

On Sat, 29 May 2004 00:41:52 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Winamp uses it's own MP3 codec, so that makes sense.
>
>Not sure how to fix the mp3 issue though, reinstalling the original mp3
>codec might do it, it probably depends if the above mentioned codec is
>additional to mp3 the or replaces it.
>
>Ben

Okay, I'll have a play. Not too worried right now though seeing as my
other players work. :)

Ta

TRENDING THREADS