Nvidia’s GF100: Graphics Architecture Previewed, Still No Benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]dingumf[/nom]Oh look, no benchmarks.[/citation]

wth is he supposed to benchmark? nothing has been released it's just an article giving us details on what we can expect within the next two months.

decembermouse

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I feel like you left some info out, whether you just never read it or didn't mention it for fear of casting doubts on GF100... I've heard (and this isn't proven) that they had to remove some shaders and weren't able to reach their target clocks even with this revision (heard the last one didn't cut the mustard which is why they're hurrying the new one along and why we have to wait till March). Also, be careful about sounding too partisan with Nvidia before we have more concrete info on this.

And yes, it does matter that AMD got DX11 hardware out the gate first. Somehow, when Nvidia wins at something, whether that's being first with a technology, having the fastest card on the market, or a neato feature like Physx, it's a huge deal, but when AMD has a win, it's 'calm down people, let's not get excited, it's no big deal.' The market and public opinion, and I believe even worth of the company have all been significantly boosted by their DX11 hardware. It is a big deal. And it'll be a big deal when GF100 is faster than the 5970 too, but they are late. I believe it'll be April before we'll realistically be able to buy these without having to F5 Newegg every 10 seconds for a week, and in these months that AMD has been the only DX11 player, well, a lot of people don't want to wait that long for what might be the next best thing... all I'm trying to say is let's try not to spin things so one company sounds better. It makes me sad when I see fanboyism, whether for AMD, Intel, Nvidia, whoever, on such a high-profile review site.

Well, not much new here. I wouldn't really be surprised if the 2x performance increase over the GTX285 was a reality. Still, the question is if this new card will be able to maintain as sizable a performance lead in DX11 games when Developers have been working with ATI hardware. If this GPU is as expensive to produce as rumored will nVidia be able to cope with an AMD price drop to counter them?

I hope that 5850s on shorter PCBs come out around the time of the GF100 so they can drop to a price where I can afford to buy one ^_^

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]dingumf[/nom]Oh look, no benchmarks.[/citation]

*Specifically* mentioned in the title of the story, just to avoid that comment =)

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Even though im a RED fan im excited because its a win win for me either way. If amd wins than im proud of them but if nvidia wins than that means price drops!!! And since they usually charge more than ati for a little performance increase than ill probably get a 5970 for 500 or less (hopefully). Anyone remember the gtx280 launch?

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]sabot00[/nom]Finally some solid info on GF100.[/citation]

Solid info?

No price, no benchmarks, no specs.

What's wrong with you

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]wth is he supposed to benchmark? nothing has been released it's just an article giving us details on what we can expect within the next two months.[/citation]

This is the end of the NDA. Do you even know what NDA is kid?

Chris your review was unusually kind.

I'd rank it up there with Anand's on the first Phenom iteration - he had ES well before the others and there was mounting pressure to at least publish something ... and the AMD fanbois should consider tha article very fair.

I had heard Nvidia were booting some silicon and the clocks were low ... and in order to get within the power elvelope it was likely some SP's would have to be shaved ... that's about all anyone can say.

I imagine NVidia will also be concentrating on ensuring the die is securely attached to the substrate.

They won't want to cheese off the OEM's like last time:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1050052/nvidia-chips-underfill

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
One thing I wonder is if nVidia finally pushes forward with this architecture, does this mean developers will finally start utilizing some of the tech ATI has had in its cards for generations? For instance, will they utilize more efficient poly rendering effectively making ATI cards perform 300% faster in drawing polies and make every consumer nVidia card before the GF100 moot?

Also will they adopt a naming convention that finally makes sense? Up to 9000, reset, skip double digits and 100, go straight to 200. Now go back to 100. I mean seriously who comes up with these names?
G80, G92, G200, GF100..

Chris, some 'leaked' 'internal' nV slides recently appeared with THG results from the HD5970 review, since I can't ask the question I would like yo about that (there's no way you could answer if true), I'll simply ask, were you aware of this? [:grahamlv:3]

http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Alleged-GeForce-GTX-360-and-380-benchmarks-Surface-3.jpg/

Slight tweaking of the RE:5 results (likely because they didn't point in the right direction for the existing cards) :evil:

And Charlie's recent 'Pro-nVidia' article is somewhat telling about the possibility of scaling downward, what's your opinion on it if you can say, other than "Charlie's just being Charlie". ;)

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/01/17/nvidia-gf100-takes-280w-and-unmanufacturable

aggrressor

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
umm, Guys, If you want benches - They are "kind of" available at guru3d. I have just read their article, and while it's a bit too technical for my taste, they've recorded a Far Cry 2 bench at Nvidia conference on a crappy camera. The end result was 50 FPS on GTX285 vs 84 FPS on GF100 based product. Now I know it's not raw numbers or charts or anything like that, but at least that gives me a rough idea of what GT300 stuff will be like.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]dingumf[/nom]This is the end of the NDA. Do you even know what NDA is kid?[/citation]
Do you? The end of an NDA does not mean every detail has to be divulged. You can still only provide the details that have been given to you. If NVIDIA don't hand out the review samples, you can't benchmark them. It's not rocket science!

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
How long should we wait before we actually see an article like "Alas! Fermi has arrived (late?)".

If they claim that it is "significantly faster" then better it would be or else..

notty22

Distinguished
[citation][nom]aggrressor[/nom]umm, Guys, If you want benches - They are "kind of" available at guru3d. I have just read their article, and while it's a bit too technical for my taste, they've recorded a Far Cry 2 bench at Nvidia conference on a crappy camera. The end result was 50 FPS on GTX285 vs 84 FPS on GF100 based product. Now I know it's not raw numbers or charts or anything like that, but at least that gives me a rough idea of what GT300 stuff will be like.[/citation]
We can all get ready to crown a new King .

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
The real values in ATI’s Radeon HD 5800-series lineup, as it stands today, are gaming performance in the more pervasive DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 titles
wondering does this mean you guys already know ati will be better at dx 9-10 and nvidia w2ill beat ati in dx 11

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]notty22[/nom]We can all get ready to crown a new King .[/citation]

Is King purely performance based, or price at all? If the 380 is $700, does it get called the king?

I'm an ATI fan, yes, but don't get me wrong, competition brings down prices so it's good. I wouldn't be angry or try and pick fights on the Internet because Nvidia brought out a better card. I DO think that price is important, though.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Finally some hard info on the gf100. Sounds to me like the card will be truly expensive yet worth it for those die hard fans. I am looking forward to getting one to replace the 5850 as I am not happy with the physics engine that catalyst and ATi impliments compared to PhysX.

Status
Not open for further replies.