Question Nvidia 4080 ti card worked yesterday, now will not get past white LED on POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2022
Desktop was functioning fine. It crashed and Windows reported something about a driver and attempting a repair. Since then, we can't even get into the BIOS. Boot fails during POST.

Motherboard: TUF gaming something, can’t boot into bios to check it out, has 16GB of Corsair RAM
PSU: AGS850
CPU: ryzen 5650
New Graphics card: nvidia 4080 ti

While booting, the POST goes through its stages, and stops on White. (Sometimes, while White stays on, Green will come on after about 10 seconds. Not seeing a pattern there. In either case White stays on and we get no video signal.)

We put in an old video card (ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB) and the POST went perfectly, stopping a White for just a second like it's supposed to.

We don't have another system powerful enough (known good or not) that can handle this graphics card so we can't do that.

I vaguely suspect (maybe for no good reason) that there is insufficient power for the video card, but we unplugged all the hard drives and POST stays in White. The graphics card has a special plug that takes input from three 6-prong PCI cables. It's worked fine in the past, dunno what changed recently.

Aug 22, 2022
The system originally had the AAGS850 when the video card was upgraded. It worked for a while!

Anyway, we put in a new power supply, a Corsair RM1000x. We get the same results, which is that the new 4080 card gets stuck at White in POST, and the old 1080 video card gets to Green.

Out of ideas, going to take it to the shop tomorrow where they can plop the new card into a known good chassis.

Aug 22, 2022
Old motherboard was: TUF Gaming X-570 Plus.

As of today we've rebuilt almost everything around the graphics card, including a new CPU and motherboard. Almost want to make a new thread but anyway here are the specs of our computer of Theseus

Chassis: Corsair 7000D
Motherboard: MSI MEG Z790 ACE
CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080
PSU: Corsair RM1000x

On boot, motherboard gets to White code in POST, and shows code 97. This is "Console Output devices connect" which means it doesn't have video. (We consider this our worst possible outcome.)

If we take the GPU out completely, we can boot all the way into the BIOS using the on-board video. (It supports USB-C to HDMI. Pleasant surprise!) The MSI forums recommended upgrading BIOS so we went from 1.0 (copyright 2020) to the latest released last month.

We did that and get the same results:
  • with GPU, POST stays in White and mobo code 97
  • without GPU, can get into BIOS using onboard video
I keep telling myself that the shop said the video card checked out fine. I'm growing skeptical of their work because I didn't see it with my own eyes, and I'm not sure what else it could be.

Aug 22, 2022
Reactions: Why_Me
Status
Not open for further replies.