Nvidia 7XX series this december

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

http://www.geeks3d.com/20120830/geforce-gtx-780-gk110-in-preparation/ :eek: :eek:

.......... :D

I'd like to partially disagree, what kept AMD from having performance gains mostly was its decision to highly underclock the GCN(made so that oems can self overclock and rebadge the name as an OC or GHZ varient). A prime example of it really happening is the recent change of the base clock for 7950. It moved from 800>900 mhz on the reference models. Further example is the difference between a reference 7970 and a 7970 ghz, which ranges from 670 level to 680 OC levels. Its just an example of how extremely underclocked they were. Also on performance, it depends on target audience. The GTX 600 series were much more friendly to the average user. The HD 7k were more friendly for enthusiasts who reach past what the average user does, as the HD 7k is much more efficient in 2560x1200 resolution.

:lol: :ange:

Nvidia did not improve... Nvidia sacrificed features to pretend to improve.
:lol: :pfff: (not sure which fits better)

Please can you here yourself :pt1cable:

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise that all the Tech review sites were using pretend performance results to make the card look like it performs better than it does. :lol:

Thats the bottom line. PERFORMANCE. Joe Blogs dosent care about any of the stuff your dragging up in an effort to make a counter point.

That rant pretty much ends it for me. As you refuse to see the obvious and resort to making such nonsensical statements. I'm done with this discussion.

Mactronix :)

http://media.bestofmicro.com/U/P/336769/original/tessellation%20scaling.png
tessellation efficiency drops.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-6.html
AA and resolution improvement efficiency drops.
I don't even need to go into how badly Nvidia cut back on compute performance.

Architecturally, Nvidia didn't improve. Of course tripling the core count of the 580 (even without hot clocking) means that performance improves, but with efficiency drops like this, performance is now highly variable. You pay too much attention to performance without much of stuff such as these. A lot of people actually care about it because 2MP resolutions such as 1080p are the most common resolutions played on high-end systems and that's what it takes to make use of a GTX 670/680's or a Radeon 7950/7970's performance at these resolutions.

redeemer

Distinguished

If anything I think it is Nvidia who is not competitive this round, if we are talking execution AMD has a full range of 28nm cards out and it took Nvidia 1 year.

On the architecture front yes Kepler is more efficient but there are sacrifices. AMD 7000 series trades blows with the 600 series, while providing massive compute power. It seems that AMD and Nvidia has switched places this generation, Nvidia being smaller more efficient and AMD larger dies more performance.

Keplers autoboost is also a factor, AMD made the mistake of downclocking the 7000 series yet still retains the overclocking advantage.

Price point again I think AMD is in a solid position

price and performance ratio is solid.

According to the Steam Hardware Survey, Kepler 670/680 cards are outselling Tahiti 7950/7970 cards by more than 2 to 1. That's a competitive advantage. It's nice to know that when you get outside the realm of Tom's Hardware fanboyism rational consumers actually get it.

All that shows is that a lot of people still stick to the Nvidia is the only gaming graphics brand worth having BS that Nvidia's marketing has thrown out over the years and that people who should know better fall for it too. Buying Nvidia doesn't make someone an idiot, they still make great cards if you don't use heavy features extensively enough to cripple them, but the same is true for AMD. Sales do not necessarily reflect quality nor performance.

Its due to the fact that nvidia is recommended by users more, due to people pushing other people to go nvidia. Nvidia is the dominant seller on the gpu side, but sales doesnt necessary mean its better, its just more refereed to. AMD acts as an underdog in both Gpus and Cpus, and while the gpu side is holding up fine, the cpu is losing its touch at the moment a bit. I mean depending on sales and price points, I would generally recommend one way or the other(like right now, 670 would be a nice buy as ncix has them for i think 385$?). Its much easier to defend nvidias case because it is the majority. The problem is, most people who defend x card have only used that cards side and haven't really had first hand experience with the other.

Its a syndrome like "majority hivemind branding."

Why do people say when buying psus "Corsair, Antec, Seasonic" or buying a Coolermaster case, and proceed to buy a PSU from coolermaster, Choose something like a 550ti over a 7770 at the same price point. Its because some brands are more recognizable to the majority, and it skews decisions to making that purchase. It does not mean those parts are superior, its just picking more recognizable brands.

+1

Mactronix :)

redeemer

Distinguished

I find that halarious considering the how Kepler supply was non-exsistent, Nvidia blaming TSMC for short supplies. Only in recent weeks have supply constraints eased.

Nvidia PR at its finest!!

Bolivious

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
You also have to take into account personal experiences. I have always used AMD video cards and I switched to Nvidia with my new build and got a GTX680. The card did not work properly from the word go, wouldn't wake from sleep, couldn't play some games, etc. So I returned it and bought a 670, which just launched and had great numbers from tech sites. Same issues. Returned it, bought a 7870 and voila, no issues and everything ran just as well/better than the two Nvidia cards.

Maybe that makes me an AMD fanboy now, but I know what works and has worked for me, so I will be sticking with AMD until they do me wrong.

Really? I prefer AMD's 28nm cards this generation right now, but at least when I first got my 7850 a while before Catalyst 12.6 launched, although I was able to fix any issues that crept up, the drivers seemed inferior to Nvidia's drivers in some ways, especially in the ways that you mentioned. Nvidia had problems of their own, but what you described was generally AMD's issues. Nvidia had mostly stuttering/V-Sync and underclocking related problems. Weird, but I suppose that it shows that no matter what, drivers can be finicky.

Bolivious

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
I had always heard how AMD drivers are terrible and how Nvidias were superior and so I figured, Hey, most powerful card of this gen, can't go wrong right? Huh, no, ok lets try the second most powerful. Nope.

To each his own. I don't think you can go wrong either way, I love my 7870 and it has performed fantastically since install.

Terrible was almost always an overstatement.

I stuck with my 7850 through the bad and I couldn't be happier with it since Catalyst 12.6 launched. I wouldn't trade it for any other graphics card in its league even if Nvidia had their competing cards out. I'd be stuck with a weaker memory bus if I go for Nvidia once Nvidia gets competing Kepler cards into retail and that's just unacceptable with GPUs this powerful IMO.

redeemer

Distinguished

Be careful I posted something similar and I was told not to cite anecdotes lol