News Nvidia Allegedly Reimburses Partners For RTX 4080 12GB Cancellation

I'm not sure too many cards will have been affected. A month away from release and likely supplied in low quantities if the 4090 was anything to go by, there's not too many already built, and I imagine most manufacturers would have been smart enough to see something like this coming anyway. The boxes will likely be recycled to the 16GB version with a sticker covering the memory and specs, shrouds moved to the 16GB version as there would likely have been zero difference in size and style between the two, so overall this will cause little in the way of actual loss, but the projected loss, if nVidia lowers prices on it (doubtful, but AMD will decide that) is the biggest thing.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Yup, all they will do is change to naming in BIOS to the RTX 4070 or 4070 Ti. Change the name plate on the cards. And re-box them.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
As Gamers Nexus said, perhaps EVGA got out at the right time and probably knew about the 4080 marketing misstep and wanted NO part of it. I'm at the point where I no longer trust Nvidia and my next card will be from AMD.
GN made that comment in reference to how good the 4090FE cooler was, not the 4080 unlaunch. EVGA told Nvidia they were quitting months ago, long before EVGA would have had any idea what the product stack and pricing would look like.

Reactions: renz496

George³

Prominent
Oct 1, 2022
GN made that comment in reference to how good the 4090FE cooler was, not the 4080 unlaunch. EVGA told Nvidia they were quitting months ago, long before EVGA would have had any idea what the product stack and pricing would look like.
Imagine that AiB knows before us as consumers and influencers what the pricing intentions and other details are will be and everything falls into place in a logical sequence.

Giroro

Splendid
I don't care what they call it, at the end of the day this card should cost $400-$500.

Probably less, considering mining is completely worthless right now.

Tom's thinks a "xx70" series cards should cost more than the overpriced 3080 msrp when we're hitting a perfect storm of historic market crashes (PC crash, crypto crash, and general recession)? It's a mostly-useless luxary commodity marketed for entertainment. Come on, man.

Pricing, agreed. Product line up, not sure you're right there. Creating the shrouds/plastics/metals, boxes and marketing material is not work of just a few weeks, but several months in advance. This is to say, EVGA may have had the information about the 4080 12GB about the time they decided to cut their relation with nVidia. No idea if that specific element fueled their decision, but I wouldn't be surprised it played a part (as in, they saw this coming or something).

Hindsight is always 20/20, I guess.

Regards.

Reactions: Heat_Fan89

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Pricing, agreed. Product line up, not sure you're right there. Creating the shrouds/plastics/metals, boxes and marketing material is not work of just a few weeks, but several months in advance. This is to say, EVGA may have had the information about the 4080 12GB about the time they decided to cut their relation with nVidia. No idea if that specific element fueled their decision, but I wouldn't be surprised it played a part (as in, they saw this coming or something).

Regards.
Agreed and my comment was poorly worded as I did not mean to imply that Gamers Nexus mentioned that the AIB's knew in advance. That was probably already a given as the rollout phase is months well in advance. They have a lot more info about the product lines than the press would, really far in advance. A company as big as EVGA probably saw the 4080 12GB card and said WTF after looking at the specs.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019

Regards.
Based on how in the dark EVGA claims they were with respect to what Nvidia told AIB's, there is no chance Nvidia would have told AIB's in q1 of this year that they were planning on going with two "4080's" at launch. AIB's have no need for a product name when designing cards. They name can trivially be added to the cooler all the way up until actual production starts.

Last edited:

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Ok sooo who makes a 32 inch gsync compatible monitor with those technologies? Especially one under $1k with HDMI 2.1 and display port?
As Gamers Nexus said, perhaps EVGA got out at the right time and probably knew about the 4080 marketing misstep and wanted NO part of it. I'm at the point where I no longer trust Nvidia and my next card will be from AMD.
Heat_Fan89 is correct, this is wild stuff and with them abandoning the previous gen cards for their own tech is insane, I’m done with team green.

I am of the same opinion. I dont trust Nvidia at all and wont be buying one of their cards.
I've been holding onto my 1080ti for a long time waiting to upgrade and its going AMD's way this round.

Based on how in the dark EVGA claims they were with respect to what Nvidia told AIB's, there is no chance Nvidia would have told AIB's in q1 of this year that they were planning on going with two "3080's" at launch. AIB's have no need for a product name when designing cards. They name can trivially be added to the cooler all the way up until actual production starts.
Considering there's already boxes of 4050's making the rounds, I don't know... It's most definitely "several months in advance" they let AIBs know to prepare their stuff, but I'm sure we can't confirm if EVGA knew all of this in Q1 as even when they announced their departure they must have been under NDA still.

Plus, there's the other theory that the 4K series were delayed due to 3K inventory, so all these boxes and such were created well in advance to this launch. Maybe a good quarter in advance.

I'd say there's more hints to say they had this info in Q1 than not...

Regards.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Imagine that AiB knows before us as consumers and influencers what the pricing intentions and other details are will be and everything falls into place in a logical sequence.
AIB don't get any Info from Nvidia. EVGA literally said they learnt about the new cards (last gen?) the moment they were presented publicly like everyone else which is just insane.