Discussion NVIDIA Ampere RTX3000 series Discussion Thread(Updated Launch Specs)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
NVIDIA Ampere is rumored to be announced in August and launch in September at Computex. It is said to be decent improvement over Turing with around 40% performance improvement through out the lineup. With the launch of RTX3080Ti(most probably that is what the RTX2080Ti successor is going to be called) we can expect 4K 60fps+ in 90%+ titles at ultra settings which was not possible with present high end cards well still 4K 100fps+ will out of reach for majority of demanding titles.

GA102(TITAN, RTX3080Ti):
5376 CUDA Cores
24GB GDDR6

GA103(RTX3080):
3840 CUDA Cores
10GB GDDR6

GA104(RTX3070,RTX3060):
3072 CUDA Cores
8GB GDDR6

GA106(RTX2660Ti,RTX2660):
1920 CUDA Cores
6GB DDR6

GA107(RTX2650):
1280 CUDA Cores
4GB GDDR6

I doubt there will be non RTX cards even on low end, I guess all the cards will be Ray-tracing enabled and come packed with RT Cores.
The info out there is very little but the potential leaks of specs or rumors are interesting. We did expect even more than this but 40% performance improvement over Turing is not too bad. I hope there is at-least comparatively bigger jump in Ray-tracing performance compared to Raw performance making Ray-tracing bit more mainstream.

Are we finally getting to the point where a single GPU can handle 4K@60Hz without any limitations.

UPDATED SPECS AFTER LAUNCH
RTX3090(TITAN)
10496 CUDA Cores
24GB GDDR6X
$1499

RTX3080
8704 CUDA Cores
10GB GDDR6X
$699

RTX3070
5888 CUDA Cores
8GB GDDR6
$499

That is pure Insanity in comparison to what we were expecting. Interesting. Lets see how the Performance goes in real world. On paper the specs are pure Insanity. If it delivers similarly in real world then we are in for a big WIN.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2720853

Glad they realized how to lower prices. Still waiting to see what Big Navi has to offer before I go upgrade my PSU, Display and GPU.

SpiderSparrow

Prominent
Sep 1, 2020
Hey guys!

So I currently have like an Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard, do you think that will be fine for an RTX 3080?

Currently my full specs are as follows:
i7 - 6700K @4 GHz Ram: 32 GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 980 TI Vram: 6GB
SSD: crucial mx500 1TB + NVMe 512 gb SSD
PSU: Cooler Master V750 750W PSU

I know that my CPU and motherboard might be potential bottlenecks a year or so down the line when games start utilising 8 cores, or do you think it won't be that bad.

But I will slowly upgrade the motherboard and CPU as well by end of next year hopefully.

Do you guys think this will be good enough for now at least and compatible with the new card?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cool I will definitely look into that, other than the PSU, do you suppose I am fine to upgrade to an RTX 3080 for now ?
I suppose, but wait for actual reviews.
The biggest obstacle to this fancy new hardware is software devs.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkoul9HRGdg

Even the 1200+ 2080Ti wasn't as impressive as it could've been, because many games still run on recycled/old engines.
It didn't meet all the promises Nvidia claimed it could at the time because the support wasn't really cooperating.
Lets see if devs get their rears in gear with Ampere.

I suppose, but wait for actual reviews.
The biggest obstacle to this fancy new hardware is software devs.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkoul9HRGdg

Even the 1200+ 2080Ti wasn't as impressive as it could've been, because many games still run on recycled/old engines.
It didn't meet all the promises Nvidia claimed it could at the time because the support wasn't really cooperating.
Lets see if devs get their rears in gear with Ampere.
First he should get past the point of upgrading the CPU+Motherboard+PSU and only after that he can look into reviews of upcoming GPUs and decide what to purchase.

SpiderSparrow

Prominent
Sep 1, 2020
For Gaming at 4K it is fine. But for 1440p or specially 1080p that CPU will be a major bottleneck.

All in all you need a completely new PC. You are lucky that at-least RAM and Storage can be reused.
Ah I see, cool I think I might just look at upgrading the whole lot then

But its an interesting point that you have mentioned, it will be better for 4K than the lower resolutions?

I am not very savvy so just curious :D

Thanks again dude!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
First he should get past the point of upgrading the CPU+Motherboard+PSU and only after that he can look into reviews of upcoming GPUs and decide what to purchase.
Can you please stop doing that? No one's seen how these gpu's perform/behave with a selection of cpus even.

@SpiderSparrow
Just wait, please. See what some reviewers do with their test rigs and then make an informed decision.
Some one will test with an older cpu, just give it some time.

SpiderSparrow

Prominent
Sep 1, 2020
Can you please stop doing that? No one's seen how these gpu's perform/behave with a selection of cpus even.

@SpiderSparrow
Just wait, please. See what some reviewers do with their test rigs and then make an informed decision.
Alright, I will do what you say in that case and wait out the release to see what people think and think about it in a month or so :)

Thanks a ton! :)

Reactions: Phaaze88

@SpiderSparrow
Seriously RTX 2080 Super gets bottle-necked by i7-6700K and you expect RTX 3080 to not have a bottleneck. No matter how bad it performs it will at-least be 5% better than RTX 2080 Super. So being practical. Thinking of Purchasing upcoming GPUs without upgrading that CPU for 1080p or even 1440p gaming is not the right thing to do. To be honest even RTX 3070 will be bottle-necked. 4K there will be less of a bottleneck for majority of Games but there may be stuttering issues in some games and that is manageable.

:kikou:
That's it, huh?
Where have I seen this crap before? It's giving me deja vu...
Oh well, I got a chuckle out of it regardless.
To be honest you don't even need that to tell you how much of a bottleneck i7-6700K will be on RTX3080. If you have been following the rate at which performance is jumping from generation to generation specially in CPUs. And now in GPUs. It is obvious.

Seriously the first thing that struck my mind when I saw i7-6700K being discussed to be paired with RTX3080 was bottleneck. Okay it may not have crossed your mind at first which is completely fine. But you not accepting the fact that i7-6700K will bottleneck RTX3080 is bit odd.

NOTE other Readers: When discussing about bottleneck we are strictly limiting Resolution to 1080p and 1440p. At 4K the Bottleneck will be fairly minimal with few stutters in some games(games which scale well with multiple cores).

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You need to broaden your perspective a little; expand your horizons.

To be honest you don't even need that to tell you how much of a bottleneck i7-6700K will be on RTX3080. If you have been following the rate at which performance is jumping from generation to generation specially in CPUs. And now in GPUs. It is obvious.

Seriously the first thing that struck my mind when I saw i7-6700K being discussed to be paired with RTX3080 was bottleneck. Okay it may not have crossed your mind at first which is completely fine. But you not accepting the fact that i7-6700K will bottleneck RTX3080 is bit odd.
I used to think like this, but I've since changed, for the better.

Hitman 2: Glacier 2 Engine
Total War: 3 Kingdoms: TW 3 Engine
Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Crystal Engine
Witcher 3: Red Engine 3
PUBG: Unreal Engine 4
Far Cry 5: Dunia Engine
Battlefield 5: Frostbite Engine
Metro Exodus: 4A Engine
^The engines used in that little 3min video you linked. I wonder if you'll figure out why that's there?

@SpiderSparrow
How much of the above applies to you?
For me, it's none, so much of what King Dranzer's going on about is useless to me.
It can go both ways depending on the individual.
Most of those engines are modified - or patched, if you will - over and over and over, before they finally give in and do one from scratch.
There's limits to how well patched up engines will utilize newer hardware VS more modern ones VS ones that could be built up from scratch right now... you know, like with roads:
Constantly patched up sections, one side/section is mended, or just repairing the entire stretch - the difference in the overall smoothness of the ride through, yeah?

NOTE for OP and other Readers
YOU are the OP, WTH...

SpiderSparrow

Prominent
Sep 1, 2020
@Phaaze88 I think both you and @King Dranzer do mention some interesting points.

I will definitely wait and see how the benchmarks come out, and how much better performance I can get on a different CPU.

If it is still quite impressive with the 6700K and the reviews are good, I might just get it for now, and play some games that as you said might not fully be ready to fully utilise the hardware for another year or so.

By then I would have probably replaced my Motherboard, and CPU. I will already be looking to replace the PSU regardless for now.

But lets see what the reviews say as you've mentioned, and I will know what method will be better. I was looking at things, and I should be comfortable enough to upgrade my PC components very soon hopefully :)

Oh and yeah, I do plan on playing in 4K a lot if that helps, as I either game on my 4K monitor or TV :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
The RTX 3070 will be a sweet replacement for my GTX 1080. I play at 1440p@144hz. This should be able to max out just about any game. I built a my PC in January. And have been waiting for this to complete the build. Now what's the chances of getting a RTX 3070 when it's released lol

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Now what's the chances of getting a RTX 3070 when it's released lol
No harm in trying your luck if you really want it.
If it runs out, no big deal; there will be more later.

The folks who get them on launch will be the front line beta testers anyway. :kikou:
That, and there's no way Nvidia showed their entire hand. They're waiting to see what AMD does, and then it'll be Super/Ti all over again...

Reactions: ern88