Nvidia Announces $141 Million Net Loss in Q2FY11

Status
Not open for further replies.

ca87

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Yeah blame it on low demand. But we all know u are lossing money bcos of ur G_Toaster. Get real nVidia

G

The losses were due to AMD/ATI selling superior hardware. Period.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
it took them a long time to come out with Fermi and with the hunger power source of the GPU melting the ice caps many people purchased the lower cost, lower PSU usage AMD products. They need to make new products in the lower $100 range instead of the high end $400 market. Right now all I see is the good old 9800 GT and the 240/250 for under $100.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Nvidia has been seeing more and more engineering issues as of late. They couldn't reduce the GT200 architecture, and thus couldn't make a cheaper component for the maintstream market. Then their latest release, Fermi, is delayed and experiences yield issues. I think the lack of new product is a bigger factor than Nvidia is letting on. I think a lack of demand results from rebadging a GPU three times and assuming the consumer is just going to keep buying it.

Fermi was way too late, and until the GTX460, too hot, and too power-hungry; in short, too FAIL. I really hope for their sake (and ours), that they aren't limited to hoping that one chip (GTX460) can save their bacon, with the HD6000 series looming.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
240 was a joke, fermi was late and underwhelming, Intel stuck it to Ion and the ATI 5xxx series put the beats to their lineup all across the board.

So this is not really a surprise.

However, releasing things like the 460 will put them back in black. It is a good card.

mattclary

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Only took 6 posts for Godwin's law to appear.[/citation]

And three more for someone to needlessly point it out.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
You know I almost didn't read this article because i had a feeling there would be a lot of ignorant comments at the bottom... Total lack of surprise, here they are. I say wait till the next quarter or maybe the one after that to truly say if ATI spanked Nvidia or not. At the very least understand that balance sheets arnt black and white...

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Seeing their diminished presence in the chipset/IGP area for mainstream PCs is kinda depressing cuz it made me feel like their presence in the discreet graphics market may somehow follow. I like my 8200 and its VDPAU capability. In fact my HTPC and office PC have nVidia cards on top of ATI based boards just because, at the time, they were more Linux friendly. But right now they're behind ATI. Not greatly, but noticeable.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ca87[/nom]Yeah blame it on low demand. But we all know u are lossing money bcos of ur G_Toaster. Get real nVidia[/citation]
If people would stop putting them in laptops and start putting them in the kitchen, it might make sense.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Well, so much for the so called wonderful powerful Fermi. They can claim that it was due to chipsets, lawsuits but their latest graphics line isn't profitable to them at all. They can maintain market share with good pricing, but they can't maintain profits. Enough said.

I was curious how Nvidia would do this year, they were very late to release their new GPU's giving AMD/ATI a huge advantage. Fermi was also over hyped (until G104 (ie GF460). Hopefully the 460 will help them cut their losses, I am all for a competive market. Also the lack on onboard graphics for Intel chipsets is a huge loss for Nvidia. Before you say im an Nvidia fanboy, all my computers are Intel CPU's and ATI graphics

wing2010

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
"weakened demand for consumer graphics processing units (GPUs)"

should be

"weakened demand for Nvidia graphics processing units (GPUs)"

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]mrmotion[/nom]You know I almost didn't read this article because i had a feeling there would be a lot of ignorant comments at the bottom... Total lack of surprise, here they are. I say wait till the next quarter or maybe the one after that to truly say if ATI spanked Nvidia or not. At the very least understand that balance sheets arnt black and white...[/citation]
and here it is guys finally an nVidia fanboy response, face it we all know why nVidia made the loss even nVidia fan boys like you do, no smoke screen will cover the fact the 240 was way too weak, rebagging GPUs 2 or 3 times! and of course the joke aka GTX480/GTX470

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]Snipergod87[/nom]I was curious how Nvidia would do this year, they were very late to release their new GPU's giving AMD/ATI a huge advantage. Fermi was also over hyped (until G104 (ie GF460). Hopefully the 460 will help them cut their losses, I am all for a competive market. Also the lack on onboard graphics for Intel chipsets is a huge loss for Nvidia. Before you say im an Nvidia fanboy, all my computers are Intel CPU's and ATI graphics[/citation]
I will be interesting how the FDA lawsuit will affect Intel because i beleieve they are no longer allowed to lock other companies out of Graphics for the Core I5/i7, but this is not enough nVidia need to increase yields on the 460

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Good to see that the GPU packaging thing hurt them a little bit... I can't go 2 consecutive days without one of their POS GPUs bringing one of my companies corporate laptops down.

Status
Not open for further replies.