News Nvidia Announces RTX 4090 Coming October 12, RTX 4080 Later

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Everything comes down to supply and demand. EDIT For the supply part no more EVGA.

Then you have the 1% of people that have the disposable income that must have the latest and greatest of everything.
It's no different than the people that line up every year to get the latest and greatest phone or any other item.

I recently read an interesting discussion on a French forum about the topic of GPU pricing.
On of the posters made the interesting remark that when you look at the price of high-end GPUs, you should not talk about kids wanting to play some games (obviously they are not those who will buy that sort of GPU) but look at the money that adults are ready to spend for their favorite hobby.
Look for example at the cost of a high-end camera, the money spent for car or motorcycles used as hobbies. Or simply at the price of a good road bicycle.
Price for boating, flying small planes, etc....
And when you figure in this the costs of just making these things work over time, you quickly reach and surpass 2000 $/Euros.
I guess that the GPUs are aimed at this sort of customers.

I recently read an interesting discussion on a French forum about the topic of GPU pricing.
On of the posters made the interesting remark that when you look at the price of high-end GPUs, you should not talk about kids wanting to play some games (obviously they are not those who will buy that sort of GPU) but look at the money that adults are ready to spend for their favorite hobby.
Look for example at the cost of a high-end camera, the money spent for car or motorcycles used as hobbies. Or simply at the price of a good road bicycle.
And when you figure in this the costs of just making these things work over time, you quickly reach and surpass 2000 $/Euros.
I do see the point. You can spend more than 2k $/£/€ on either a model aircraft transmitter, engine or even bare airframe kit. I know other hobbies it’s just as easy to spend multiple thousands.

There's a problem with that argument line: most of those obscure hobbies are expensive due to them being niche (i.e: low supply and high product costs). GPUs are used everywhere and by almost everything. The problem here is there's only two major players in the field and the chain of supply is pretty much monopolies in disguise throughout.

Also, guess what: if you have running as a hobby, you don't need $2K running shoes or $1K jackets; look at cycling or handcrafts in general. At the end of the day, the price of a hobby boils down to how "niche" it is and gaming is hardly niche. I mean, I'd love to have "walking around craters on the Moon" as a hobby, but I'd imagine it would be a pretty darn expensive hobby based on how niche it is (for now, at least, lel). Do I need a 4090 to "game"? Hell no.

Regards.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
No one is entitled to the latest and greatest.
Some folks have new vettes every couple years, some folks settle for a fusion every few years which is still quite comfortable and gets the job done.

There is a reason the 2060 is one of the most commonly owned and gamed on GPUs.

No one needs a 4090, even if you make your living from your PC you don't need a 4090

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-ceo-confirms-arc-a770-coming-to-retail-somewhere

Maybe they intend to launch in China first like before. Always been an amd guy but glad Intel is doing good stuff and that they are investing more in the USA as far as new fabs etc. Right now we are fortunate that supply is good and prices are lower. Consider if China tried to take over Taiwan tomorrow, not just the human impact, but many of the chips and semiconductors are made there. If I recall I think I’ve read somewhere in the neighborhood of 70% of their people would fight back. Consider if say half the engineers at the fabs were killed or if the fabs were destroyed or severely damaged. Supply could drop by a huge amount overnight. I digress but it makes me glad that Intel is starting to invest more at home.

This is very true, and something I've obliquely thought about. PCs and PC gaming are way cheaper than many side hobbies / interests. A motorcycle, even a cheap one, will likely be upwards of $10K out the door + insurance. A new but cheap jet ski is around 10K + insurance and storage. Enthusiast cars are know to be money sinks, in a big way.

It's not the cheapest hobby though. Ideally, I suppose one would take on a hobby that pays for itself, like making furniture or some such.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-ceo-confirms-arc-a770-coming-to-retail-somewhere

Maybe they intend to launch in China first like before. Always been an amd guy but glad Intel is doing good stuff and that they are investing more in the USA as far as new fabs etc. Right now we are fortunate that supply is good and prices are lower. Consider if China tried to take over Taiwan tomorrow, not just the human impact, but many of the chips and semiconductors are made there. If I recall I think I’ve read somewhere in the neighborhood of 70% of their people would fight back. Consider if say half the engineers at the fabs were killed or if the fabs were destroyed or severely damaged. Supply could drop by a huge amount overnight. I digress but it makes me glad that Intel is starting to invest more at home.
I'm like 99% sure Arc A770 / A750 will launch in the US / worldwide. I just don't see how it could not happen at this point. But whether they'll be cheap enough and good enough is a different matter. Seems like $400 would be the maximum price, and if/when we get an RTX 4070 that would push A770 down to maybe $300 max. And you still need to worry about Intel drivers and compatibilities.

Reactions: ohio_buckeye
Well I won't....I've got a 6700xt so I'm good for the moment. But anyway, I think if Intel is wise and wants to make a splash, price competitively. At least at first. I think if they do so people may be more forgiving of drivers since they are new to the gaming gpu game and if people pay less than a competing card they might have more patience. I'd say give them a generation or so and things will probably start coming together.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Now that the initial shock of the high prices has worn off, I assume that Nvidia is making sure they don't repeat the financial mistake they made with the 30-series. Tons of scalpers and miners got rich because they crowded out gamers and got the hardware. Nvidia made zero effort to actually link gamers up with GPUs. They wound up enriching unscrupulous people that charged double, triple, or even quadruple the price of a GPU during the height of the shortage. Nvidia can always lower prices if inventory balloons.

I'm hoping the inventory does balloon and we see discounts creep in by the end of the year. All signs are pointing to a global recession and pullback of discretionary spending -- something that hurts the gamer side of the business. A new GPU would definitely speed up VR games as well as 3D content creation for me, but the price has to be right. Maybe next year. Nvidia broke my upgrade schedule with the 30-series.

i will be waiting for the RTX 4050..
4050? Don't you mean the 4080 2GB? ;-)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I'm like 99% sure Arc A770 / A750 will launch in the US / worldwide. I just don't see how it could not happen at this point. But whether they'll be cheap enough and good enough is a different matter. Seems like $400 would be the maximum price, and if/when we get an RTX 4070 that would push A770 down to maybe $300 max. And you still need to worry about Intel drivers and compatibilities.

I saw a YouTube advertisement for them on Monday, so they must be close.

Also Newegg had the ASRock A380 in stock, so should have one by the end of the week to mess with. Curious to try out some older games and see if they even come close to rendering correctly. But mostly just to have a cheap HDMI 2.1 port.

Step 1 to empowering consumers: Stop calling them consumers.
Locusts are consumers. People are customers.
In this instance the wording was specifically chosen because mindless drones are exactly what a large number of people have been acting like, and continue to act like.

While I wouldn't disagree with this at the high end, because ever since the Titans were introduced there's been super high priced flagships, what we're seeing is a massive increase across the board. In the past AMD brought prices back down by competing on price/perf, but right now they're all too happy to play nvidia's way. I'd imagine this is because they're making a lot more money in enterprise/HPC and would rather use their fab space for that.

I'm disappointed in the marketing and pricing for the 40 series, but what has me dismayed is the low/mid range. These card are poorly priced, and they haven't even gotten back to the MSRP on the nvidia side of things. I haven't spent more than the low $300s for a video card since my GeForce 4 Ti4600 until now, and that's because all of the cards in that price range are horrible values.

This very cynically priced launch is just going to alienate more people and make them turn away or never consider PC gaming in the first place and l find that to be sad. As long as they're making huge margins nothing will change even if they're squeezing people out of the market.

I forget which year it was specifically, but one of the big price raises for the iphone led to lower sales, but apple still made more revenue/profit off of what had been sold. This is what nvidia appears to be doing, and there is only one thing that can stop it: their revenue dropping off a cliff. Only two things can lead to that: competition lowering the price floor (cross fingers Intel by 2024? because AMD shows no indicator they'll do it), or people not buying video cards from nvidia.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Of course they are. They know they have to compete against their own products, making them expensive is the only thing that makes sense.

If you can get a 3080 12GB ($720) or 3080 Ti for ($830) new, or a used one for $500 then the 4080 12GB just doesn't make a lot of sense at $900-1000, even if it is 50% faster it has less cores than both and less bandwidth, so it may land somewhere in the middle of the two. They are obviously playing up the RT and DLSS features of the new cards, because I would guess that rasterization performance has basically only increased by the clock speed increases on a core for core basis.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if there is no mid-range cards coming, and they skip this generation. They've been keeping older updated SKUs around, look at the 2060 12GB. And it looks like higher memory count versions of the 30 series are definitely on the table already. If they overproduced 3060, they might have enough to pump out graphics cards for a good while.

Reactions: thestryker

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They're trying to put all their bets on AI and Deep Learning and we get these ridiculous prices as a result...they are literally pricing the average consumer out of reach of graphics cards.

Reactions: Tac 25

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Now that the initial shock of the high prices has worn off, I assume that Nvidia is making sure they don't repeat the financial mistake they made with the 30-series. Tons of scalpers and miners got rich because they crowded out gamers and got the hardware. Nvidia made zero effort to actually link gamers up with GPUs. They wound up enriching unscrupulous people that charged double, triple, or even quadruple the price of a GPU during the height of the shortage. Nvidia can always lower prices if inventory balloons.

I'm hoping the inventory does balloon and we see discounts creep in by the end of the year.

referring to the part of your post I put in bold. Hoping for that as well. So that I could finally buy an RTX 3060. The cheapest 3060 I saw at local stores here is 29,800 pesos - approx. 509 usd. Still too high.

getting a 3060 would upgrade two pc, because it would allow me to transfer the 3050 being used by the gaming pc to the backup pc (replacing the 1050ti).

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdragon
Of course they are. They know they have to compete against their own products, making them expensive is the only thing that makes sense.

If you can get a 3080 12GB ($720) or 3080 Ti for ($830) new, or a used one for $500 then the 4080 12GB just doesn't make a lot of sense at $900-1000, even if it is 50% faster it has less cores than both and less bandwidth, so it may land somewhere in the middle of the two. They are obviously playing up the RT and DLSS features of the new cards, because I would guess that rasterization performance has basically only increased by the clock speed increases on a core for core basis.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if there is no mid-range cards coming, and they skip this generation. They've been keeping older updated SKUs around, look at the 2060 12GB. And it looks like higher memory count versions of the 30 series are definitely on the table already. If they overproduced 3060, they might have enough to pump out graphics cards for a good while.
Nvidia has shown a few benchmarks where the 4080 12GB is relatively competitive with the 3090 Ti — I'd actually say the vanilla 3090 — in non DLSS 3 games. It's going to be a bit faster in some, a bit slower in others is my bet. 3070 basically matched 2080 Ti, so 3080 12GB basically matching 3090 Ti would make some sort of sense. 4070 when it comes will probably target 3080 Ti performance with a lower price. As for whether or not midrange Ada GPUs are coming, they're all in the leak/hack from early this year, so I highly doubt they're going to cancel them.

When will they arrive, though? That's the real question, and the answer is that Nvidia is probably waiting for 3070/3080/3090 inventory to clear out before announcing the 4070, and then wait for 3060/3060 Ti to clear out before announcing 4060. That's just good business sense from their perspective. RTX 2060 12GB only exists because of crypto. Lots of things right now are simply the aftereffects of the recent crypto boom.

The whole 40-series launch feels very reminiscent of the 20-series launch, which also happened after a crypto boom/bust in 2017/2018. Prices went up, people got angry, etc. Performance might improve more than with the 20-series vs. 10-series, but there's still a question of how many people even need more than a 20-series for most of the games they play. Basically, 4K and ray tracing are the main reasons people would want faster GPUs.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TRENDING THREADS