Nvidia Big Bang II ForceWare Beta Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerninja7823

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
so im confused...right now i have one 8800gt, i was planning on buying a second one rather soon here...so acording to what i read if have 2 8800gt's in sli then get a 9500gt or something cheap it can run the phyxs right? or am i lost...

G

I wanna know if you can have an AMD/ATI card in your system (4870)... and then put in your old nvidia card (8800 gts 640) and dedicate it to physx...

that would be pretty cool if you could cross chip makers... but i doubt it... b/c nvidia sucks on the software side of things...would be really nice ATM though... because 4000 series owns in performance... but doesn't have the physx support that make some games interesting...

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Do you have to SLI the two cards if you want one to do solely physX and the other to do solely graphics acceleration? In other words, I have an gtx280 with a P45 motherboard, can I pop my old 8800gt in there and dedicate that to physX or do I have to have an nVidia chipset board?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Sounds like more bloatware drivers from NV. If only they could get their drivers to work correctly without issue. I could care less about SLI, I just want my single 8800GTS to work properly. When an update to drivers make NeverWinter Nights fail with your brand new 8800GTS you know they suck. I'm sorry, but if you're willing to trade stability and applications for a few more FPS in the lastest crap shooter then I'll take the competition's offerings instead.

One 4870 from ATI trumps most SLI setups, and the 260/280 setups that it doesn't aren't worth putting in SLI. Either before or soon after Xmas something else will be out that will stomp on the SLI of today.

SLI was a marketing scam from the start and offers little advantage, unless of course you consider a high energy bill from having to cool your computer room even in the winter a benefit. Or if you actually enjoying having to purchase a costly monitor so you don't look like a fool with two cards in your rig.

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
um excuse me but I had the 4870x2 and COULD NOT USE it on two monitors. I could easily have two monitors enabled, but they were independent so that movies and games would not play on both so the last comment in the article about ati/amd implementing this already is suspicious. They also claim that they do not support this feature with crossfirex.

I want to know one thing: with this new driver update, can I use an intel based mobo (P5E) with two Nvidia graphics cards? NOT SLI, but one as a physx card.

Thanks.

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Oh and JonnyDough you need to relax with badmouthing SLI. It is not a scam when the benchmarks clearly show the user what the benefits/price are. I am not claiming to be a fanboy, or a current user of SLI (before I was with 2 8800gts 320's) but they did work as claimed. I got an average of 50% better FPS.

Also I use two 24" samsungs, so SLI is the best choice for me If I already did not have a GTX280, but as you can read above the 4870x2 I had and an SLI setup right now will not support two monitors...

What I am saying is that SLI is for high high resolutions and works SA CLAIMED...dont badmouth it becuase you had a bad experience.

I also had bad experiences with SLI, but I had good ones too. I had terrible experience with my 4870x2 and the support ati did/did not give me but I have yet to comment on it (I just did...sorry).

BE NICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.