Nvidia CEO: Fermi to Hit the ''Full Stride'' in Q2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
This is probably bad news for nVidia. This means the GF100 is no longer competing against the HD58xx. Its competing with the HD68xx. From recent reports the HD68xx is 2 months ahead of schedule. If this thing releases in Q2, thats putting it dangerously close to the Q3/Q4 released of the HD68xx.

Seriously, it would be a 3 billion transistor chip hoping to compete against a 2 billion transistor chip but actually competing against a 4 billion transistor chip.

redplanet_returns

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
[citation][nom]impulse fire911[/nom]Nvidia does not seem to be very worried that ATI is making big money right now. In fact, i dont even think they have tried to hurry this is up too much. [/citation]

check out http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-financials-GPU-quadro-tegra,9703.html , apparently they're doing pretty well despite their "fermi forever"

either way, i really wish nvidia can hurry the hell up and release those fermis, so that the vendors won't have the nerves to jack up the prices of AMD 5800 series graphic cards above MSRP anymore. and most likely it'll make AMD lower the MSRP further too.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]sanchz[/nom]ATI will be releasing the 6000 series by the end of this year, so nVidia is really in bad shape right now.[/citation]

i've actually heard as late as q3 2011

sunzeal

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
ATI cards are much more good in performance and cheaper in price as compared to Nvidia Cards. I'll still prefer ATI because of the low cost.

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]hotsacoman[/nom]http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/0 [...] unfixable/[/citation]
Charlie Demerjian? You've got to be kidding me. I had never heard of that guy, but after reading this article which makes him sound like God's gift to engineering and Nvidia like a bunch of brainless morons I typed his name into Google.

I suggest you do the same, the guy is a joke.

True, but he is also the high priest of the ATi faithful. :lol:

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Logically it just doesn't make sense to me that "fermi" will blow away ATI. It's had a much longer development BUT... I find Nvidia's silence on performance quite troubling. They must have some idea how the final product is going to perform. If it is truly going to blow away ATI I'd expect they would be trumpeting specs at every turn.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Nvidia is branching out from being just a gaming card company. The Oil & Gas, movie industry, and all kinds of supercomputing applications can if the software's written correctly, take advantage of GPGPU computing, that is not to say that ATIs offerings are any slouch in this area, but Nvidia too much better advantage after the 8800GTX line came out, ATI had their Stream Processor which Stanford started using early on (remember the DARPA driving challenges?), however Nvidia has accelerated their efforts and their C based CUDA language is taking off like hot cakes. Nvidia has the potential to move into sectors of the computing market that will insulate it in some ways from the PC gamer or console gamer.

You forgot to mention the Automotive industry.

G

You'd think they'd have some kind of hardware site previewing an actual Fermi card if it's coming out so soon.

I guess

"For the entry-level products, the truth is that the new architectures […] are probably not extremely well appreciated anyhow. […] Our current-generation GPUs are fabulous and all the things that mainstream consumers would use their computer for."

is a euphemism for

"Fermi isn't going to beat our current generation in performance, so we'll just rebadge the 8000 series again, tout our barely used GPGPU features, and pretend that we didn't just lose a round to ATI..."

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I remain skeptical, and Huang's statement didn't exactly leave a good taste in my mouth - what is nVidia's definition of "entry-level products"? I get the concept, but it seems like we're being prepared for the bombshell of Fermi pricing. I am sorry to say, I will not be spending more than $350 on a video card - those days are gone - nor will I be rebuying my GT275, so I guess ATI will look pretty attractive when the time comes to upgrade my PC.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]The 40nm process has turned out be one of the worst headaches for nvidia while constant supply problems for the 58x0 as well the 5970 continue. It is a shame that they had to give up the side port feature on the R870 to keep the die size down.[/citation]Side port won't be needed this generation anyway. I'm happy they built the smaller, cooler chip. As for supply problems, what are you talking about? The only card that is hard to get now is the 5970, and that's only because it uses two specially-binned chips per card. They actually solved the vast majority of their production issues very quickly, especially considering they launched so many chips and have seen strong demand.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Look at it on the plus side with ATI ahead of schedule this should dramatically lower the 5xxx series cards even more and force nVidia to lower the chips retail to compete with ATI and there upcoming 6xxx series chip :D. I see it as a win-win for consumers even though I am rooting for nVidia this does put them in an awkward stance. Wasn't the Fermi supposed to be released late last year?

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]tomtompiper[/nom]No more stories on Fermi until they include Benchmarks.[/citation]

I couldn't agree more. There sure is a lot of talk on this product, but where's the proof.

xero9200

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
[citation][nom]hotsacoman[/nom]According to Charlie Demerjian, Fermi is "Unfixable." http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/0 [...] unfixable/[/citation]
Great article. Might be assuming a lot here, but he understands electronics and VLSI very well. If what he says is true, Nvidia is in a lot of trouble. Can't argue with physics, even Nvidia :)

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
i got me a 5770 ati card to replace my 8800 gt nvidia. i'm really surprised at the speed and how well it runs any game i throw at it. there are still driver problems that causes green artifacts to appear. but overall, it's been excellent. fermi what? :)

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]Chris_TC[/nom]Charlie Demerjian? You've got to be kidding me. I had never heard of that guy, but after reading this article which makes him sound like God's gift to engineering and Nvidia like a bunch of brainless morons I typed his name into Google.I suggest you do the same, the guy is a joke.[/citation]
He's also been right about almost every detail so far to do with Fermi. The other "insiders" have not been so lucky.

Btw, I still think Fermi will be released in November 09. I trust NVIDIA.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Charlie's been right about a lot of things in the past... and while I find some of his opinions a bit... intentionally sensationalist, maybe I think that because I lack his information.
-I didn't take Charlie seriously, until the Nvidia GPU failure issue, with the poorly engineered packaging. He was crying from the rooftops, when everyone else was either ignoring the issue, or taking a wait and see approach. He was months ahead of the game.

So, when the man says that the GTX480 is "hot, buggy, and far too slow", I'm more inclined to believe him than Nvidia marketing.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hotsacoman[/nom]According to Charlie Demerjian, Fermi is "Unfixable." http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/0 [...] unfixable/[/citation]

After getting part way through that article and then briefly skimming a few other articles, I've come to the conclusion that this Charlie dude is an ATI fanboi who probably cashes a cheque every month from them. I've never seen anyone have so much hate for a company. It makes everything he says 100% meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.