News Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang meets with TSMC in Taiwan, discusses AI chip shortage concerns over dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
I'm kind of confused as to what the point is?
It's not like TSMC can overclock their fabs to produce things faster. TSMC is currently in the process of expanding capacity by building more fabs, aren't they?

And if nvidia wants more chips, why not talk to Samsung? I know Samsung isn't as good quality as TSMC, but surely Samsung must have tons of leftover capacity?

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
It's not like TSMC can overclock their fabs to produce things faster. TSMC is currently in the process of expanding capacity by building more fabs, aren't they?

And if nvidia wants more chips, why not talk to Samsung? I know Samsung isn't as good quality as TSMC, but surely Samsung must have tons of leftover capacity?
Nvidia had a deal with Samsung to produce 3nm chips in 2022 and switched to TSMC late 2023. Huang is likely trying to secure a line at TSMC for the next generation of products.

Reactions: bit_user

parkerthon

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
The AI explosion I don’t think was anticipated 3-5 years ago when they were planning production capacity. Pretty long time to develop and implement these technologies at scale. Considering there’s also the lithography machines from asml and potentially other highly specialized suppliers. Never mind we’ve had chip shortages due to covid as well all across the industry. Only relief was the recent crash in device sales. Then theres china ai chip production export bans to consider which may have also helped western countries by being coincidentally timed perfectly for the demand explosion. Interesting to watch how all this plays out.

Co BIY

Splendid

I'm sure they can make changes to marginally increase production but this is usually at the expense of total cost of production and an increase in per part cost.

Where to place that line is definitely a discussion worth putting between the two management teams.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Maybe there's nothing to be done, but what if there is some bottleneck Nvidia could help address or financing they could provide to help speed the addition of more capacity? You'd never know, if you don't have candid discussions with your manufacturers and suppliers about their circumstances and constraints. For discussions about sensitive topics, face-to-face meetings are sometimes preferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.