Nvidia CEO Says No x86 Chips

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Via C7 / Nano does have something that current Intel / AMD CPU's can't compete with. Their on board AES-256 hardware encryption / quantum random number generator / SHA-256/512 hashing which is all done in the CPU. You need the encryption library compiled to support it because its a separate set of assembly instructions that need to be called, this pretty much restricts it to the Linux world and any Windows applications that are specially compiled of it.

I really wish Intel / AMD would do this with their own CPU's. It makes encryption insanely fast.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Quote"I would like to see AMD buy Nvidia" I would also like to see this but Nvidia is twice the size of AMD so it won't happen unless AMD's stock price went up about 4 times what it is today & Nvidia stayed about the same value. I wouldn't be surprised if they merged in the future if AMD ever got out of debt. Nvidia might have to buy AMD at some point or be bought by them just to stay in business.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Bad idea since their current focus is their new GTX3xx series and they are delayed. I dont think they have the current resources or at least time to create a r & d and assembly line fast enough to compete with Intels new chips while dealing with Ati on the GPU front. Nvidia has taken a seat behind Ati and AMD for now in the GPU market as well as the on board gpu market. Nvidia has lost the onboard Motherboard gpu war already.

G

It would be unfair if i only criticized i guess...
So, great article, exactly what i wanted to read.

thanks.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I think they should. Then nvidia can sign an exclusivity deal with apple and Jen-Hsun Huang and Steve Jobs could start spending all day together making sweet love down by the fire brokeback style.

Status
Not open for further replies.