Nvidia CEO: Z6 Moorestown Won't Be Competitive

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Jen-Hsun Huang is a fumbling, blustering fool, if he weren't a major shareholder in Nvidia the board would have gagged this guy years ago as what he has to say just makes him and Nvidia look foolish. Anyone remember when he held up that fake card proclaiming it to be the first Fermi to come of the production line? Yeah that one with the wood screws to hold on the backplate.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Toms:

Can you please link some of Jen-Hsun Huang's head shots? This photo-shoot isn't complete without them!

P.S. I wonder if the "Tegra 3" can run Crysis?
(Sorry, had to do it)

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
From what I've read I got the impression that Intel did reduce idle power to milliwatts...

Anyway I'm sure Intel isn't stupid enough to dive in the mobile market segment AND make false advertisement about it such as a week long battery without the hardware to back them up (unlike nvidia *cough* Fermi)

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]bogcotton[/nom]How about a tablet sized laptop, but instead of a fold out keyboard, a slide out one?[/citation]

That's actually not a bad idea

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]bogcotton[/nom]How about a tablet sized laptop, but instead of a fold out keyboard, a slide out one?[/citation]
Actually, I like that idea. Patent the idea now!
[citation][nom]Warsaw[/nom]Toms:Can you please link some of Jen-Hsun Huang's head shots? This photo-shoot isn't complete without them!P.S. I wonder if the "Tegra 3" can run Crysis?(Sorry, had to do it)[/citation]
Tegra 3 running Crysis? We can hope. :)
Don't mind running 480x320 solution at absolute minimum settings do you?

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I swear this guy has a shrine built with Steve Jobs as the centerpiece. That or he stole his playbook on how to keep himself and his company's name in the spotlight. Weather good or hot-air publicity, I'm really starting to get tired of his fart-in-the-wind comments.

G

The "Leisure Computer", eh? How are they going to get the wide lapels to stick to the Tegra3 die? :)

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]doron[/nom]From what I've read I got the impression that Intel did reduce idle power to milliwatts...[/citation]
Well, 5000 milliwatts is still measured in milliwatts, right?

OK Nvidia needs to get it's crap sorted out. This is ridiculous, not every one is looking for a crappy dust in the wind trinket or failtop, some of us have real work and other just want something that is actually going to last. These iPads and androids are just toys (fad at that), they got a great concept but they are pure fail all of them when it comes to getting something out that is worth every nickle and dime that is spent on them. How about something like the HP TC1100 that worked and outlasted most craptops and some desktops. Who needs a heater in the arctic when there is Fermi or summer its hot enough already. Hmm 100+/35+ ambient temps.

mobomofo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
[citation][nom]leisurecomputer[/nom]The "Leisure Computer", eh? How are they going to get the wide lapels to stick to the Tegra3 die?[/citation]

rofl.
They are going to attach the lapels with a pair of cheesy sideburns...

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008

How about after it slides out, the keyboard hinge unlocks, allowing you to use it like a regular laptop?

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]Well, 5000 milliwatts is still measured in milliwatts, right?[/citation]

Actually the Moorestown articles I've read didn't indicate the actual power the chip will use but the details imply that the chip will require close to zero power since it'll almost be shut down completely during idle thanks to a new technology specified in the article. You should read it actually, it's quite interesting

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
[citation][nom]Zoonie[/nom]Well, for once he is absolutely correct.[/citation]

Couldn't agree more. At this point in time, Intel offers no competition whatsoever towards Nvidia.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I hate Nvidia, and will never buy their products, but, I agree with his unstated premise - x86 doesn't work except where there's no real competition.

On the desktop, you need it, because there's really nothing else around. POWER is nice, but where are the apps you'd want to run? Maybe ARM will challenge in the future, from the bottom up, but for now, they don't.

But, trying to move the miserably inefficient x86 instruction set to platforms that need efficiency and don't care much about compatibility puts them at a huge disadvantage, and an unnecessary one.

They could be very competitive if they started from scratch, but the penalty of using x86 leaves them non-competitive.

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
After seeing what Intel did/is doing to AMD for the past months, they are capable of doing amazing things and no i'm absolutely not scared for Intel as they are strong enough to compete with Nvidia and possibly...High End GPU's to compete with both AMD and Nvidia, future speaking that is.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
So a giant Slider cell phone?

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
While nVidia's mainstream graphic processors were disappointing this generation, they are doing some good stuff in other areas like the Tegra2. I can't wait to see what Android can do running on a Tegra2

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]So a giant Slider cell phone?[/citation]

Not quite, as it would have a slightly smaller version of the keyboard you have on a notebook, with the trackpad.
Not to mention the full operating system, usb ports etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.