Nvidia: Console Software Sales are Flat, PC on the Rise

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011

Nah, he's an older guy in his late 50's, so he doesn't really know about the new stuff, but if I built one, i'd use like 3 3d hd projectors, get some touch panels for the controls, 8.1 surround system, some kind of make shift tilt stand, so many idea's, I wish I was rich.... :(

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
If you doubt how sweet Battlefield 3 is going to be, or how stunning the graphics and visuals are, here's a side-by-side comparison with an old favorite: 2005's Battlefield 2. A lot can change over the course of six years!

Well duh i mean that is an obv statement.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
I truly believe "the PC" will not be taking out of the equation. You could say that PC's can be a commodity, and mobile devices is the extension of the PC. Another what kept the PC alive soo long is its true flexibility to do whatever you want. run any software no limitations. Mobile and tablet are devices that you consume or one way road and shackled with carrier,vendor. Don't even get me started of how you pay for apps and "data plans" to even use these devices. "The PC" is the statue of liberty,yet you want to take it down?? in return of being shackled and have "content delivered"??. until tablets can function the way PC's does it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Android is closer to act as a pc but you are still shackled as in how the device is being used.

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
PC gaming will never EVER overtake console gaming. Despite how much we pc gamers try to spin it, the average person has neither the technical knowledge or desire to build, buy or maintain a gaming computer. The average person doesn't know a megahertz from a megabyte. No matter what you say, pc's won't be able to match the instant plug in and play the consoles offer, and what we find as mind blowing differences in graphics the average person wouldn't care or know the difference unless shown them side by side. This article is definitely bs, and seeing as how we are on the tail end of the longest lasting console generation yet, what comes next will certainly push the envelope even further.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
this article is stating that people don't see consoles as the device in their minds. I have lost interests of owning a console simply because its nothing more than a gaming system. Nowadays people want devices that does all. As of now the PC has the upper hand. sure console gaming was true in the past but things have changed. So I don't know about pc gaming not taking over console gaming this time around. Simply put that there are too much advancements and the spans between releases are getting shorter and shorter which ultimately can spell bad news for consoles. This whole 5-6 year lifespans is not only ridiculous but it is getting old.

Add to that part of the reason why software can't never catch up with hardware because of console. People are realizing that there are soo much more these system can achieve if it wasn't for the limiting proprietary money making machine which we call a consoles. What is happening now is PC gaming is becoming more noticed and more people are just realizing that there is alternate platform. And they're finally realizing this now??.

Interesting facts. I see it that the early adopters and interested parties would have purchased a console already, so any remaining sales are from people just getting into the console scene - that's bound to be a smaller number. Meanwhile, PC gamers constantly upgrade their systems which leads to more income in a given time period than consoles.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
so in the end it really comes down to $$$ and PC has lots of that. The fact that people are still upgrading after a decade is amazing why because the need to run the next generation software is always there. And the fact that you can run some PC games off a Flash drive directly is awsome!. Like to see you do that with your console running console game off a flash drive or even a backup drive for that matter.

Its these examples is what keeping the PC going. It is simply too flexible that can ultimately affect "the console business bottom line" What happen to your "Other OS" that was once advertised upon the release of the PS3. Sony got hacked to hell and back because of this.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
If Nvidia really concern about this issue that console are holding back PC, they should have put some support on developer to develop PC exclusive title or push the graphic. After all they get more money with people keep upgrading PC than selling their PS3/PS4 GPU every 5-7years. Everyone know we can run max on almost every game on GTX460. So why bother GTX580?

G

There is definately a PC renaissance going on even with AAA titles but...one thing that actually downplays PC even in those stats is saying consoles (as in all 3 console platforms) do better than 1 platform, the PC!! Well of course they do, that's an agregrate of 3 platforms vs 1 !! If you reconsider that and split the console figure of 21 billion of whatever 3 ways, they mite not be even doing better right now.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Windows 7 ease of use and stability, solid state disks, and no console releases in years. These are what are contributing to the video game sales chart changes. When new consoles are released again, uneducated consumers will once again jump on the band wagon - as they are too stupid and lazy to install software on their computer and then find the shortcut to run it. Putting a disk in a console and turning on the t.v. is just so much easier. :(

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
This doesn't surprise me but I think they are jumping the gun. These are just projections. If new console hardware comes out before then, then sales could shoot up. I do agree that PC sales are on the rise but that's due to the lack of enticing console titles. All they got is call of duty 8 and guitar hero 13.

G

Hahahaha, try to play Starcraft 2 in a console (epic fail with was in n64 with sc1) or a good shooter with mouse-pad vs joystic, its so diferent

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
[citation][nom]jairus24[/nom]LoL, Linux is not good for gaming.[/citation]
Linux is just a kernel. What you put on top of it is up to you. OS included with every game copy to boot on every computer that meets the minimum specs is wonderful. Give an SDK to developers to let them integrate their game with the minimal OS you provide and you are done. Just give viable and non changeable minimum specs with what's available on PC hardware at launch and developers will be happy because they can target a specific level of hardware without deceiving their customers and newer hardware will run their games even better. After a few years just announce that all new games that are to be released can now use a new and superior level of hardware. Old games still will be able to be played on both old and new hardware and new games will require an upgrade that will let you play new games and the old ones, the OS and its libraries are preloaded from the optical disc or from a virtual hard disk drive file. Just keep different virtual disks for different "generations" so you can keep up to date with different library versions and all as you get new versions of your standard console with fully interchangeable and customizable hardware.
Graphics driver should be updated across all generations without any major problem. Intel Graphics have free drivers and NVIDIA and AMD drivers both run across different versions of the Linux kernel updating only the ABI.
Maybe could be a little problematic to partner with both graphics manufacturers, but hey, this helps both to sell more cards and if they want to be the only partner that simply wouldn't work because the platform needs to run in both hardware if you want to get people to buy these autobootable-and-get-rid-of-Windows games.
A starter kit with a hard drive (external or internal), voice chat kit, gamepad, disc demo, instructions and general information would rock. The hard drive could be in an external enclosure with the external interface of the moment and include with it a PCI-E card for the people that doesn't have the necessary ports. And of course if you want to get more speed just put the hard drive as an internal one.
This is a continuation to a previous post of a nearly ideal PC gaming-only platform.

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
The best of all is that royalties would be much lower as there's only software development and no closed hardware stupidness. And games not only can they meet minimum specs but as today's PC games they could have options for better graphics quality, including resolution.

G

Millions of computers are sold by Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.. with horrible onboard video. All of those people were potential pc gamers. If every computer had decent video capability, more people could play games. From that increase, some would become heavy gamers and purchase a higher end video card. Instead nVidia/AMD accountants were so desperate not to lose any discrete video sales they put subpar offerings in their own chipsets and created hundreds of different models of their video cards. Do we need High/High, High/Medium, High/Low, Medium/High, Medium/Medium Low/High, etc.. cards. Why not integrate decent video into every computer and have a new High end video card every year. Good for hardcore gamers, easy to understand for new pc gamers(console users, parents buying computer for kids, etc..).

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
hmmm this is interesting the ones that got a thumbs down are telling the truth like the above post for example. I do have to agree Intel does make some shitty as graphics on these cheap ass computers lol. Hopefully now this has changed i would like to think so that it has anyways lol.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]alyon[/nom]Pc gaming is actually around the same cost. People are usually idiots when it comes down to personal finance.PC: assume a $1,000 basic setup Subtract the cost of a basic non-gaming PC $(500)Let's say you buy 15 games a year for 2 years at an average of $35: $1,050TOTAL: $1,550 every 2 years Console: $300 initial setupGames at $50 for 2 years: $1,500Online service: $100TOTAL: $1,900This completely exludes the cost of a nice flatscreen TV because most people who own a gaming PC have one anyways. Also the estimates don't factor in depreciation because all electronics have shit resale. Also, on my phone so I'm am not going to calculate the present value with cost of time. So is budget gaming really in the Consoles favor? Or do people just believe that because of the cheaper initial cost[/citation]
Lets say I want to play BF3 and I am a console gamer who does not have a gaming PC; If i want to play BF3 on PC then I will need to spend $1000 - $1500 to properly play BF3 on PC. On consoles I just need to spend $250 for a console and $50 - $60 on the game amounting to $300 - $350 and thats it.

-Intel Core i5 2500 = $210 (almost the cost of the ps3 for only just a CPU)

I mean really? Why did you priced PC games on $35 and consoles on $50? (like is not obvious)Where did you get that console gamers spend $750 on games a year on average? Only XBL is required to pay a fee to get MP. If you want to down consoles, atleast try not to be that biased.

G

So 2011 will be the biggest year for consoles, and for some reason you expect 2012 to bring in less money than the consoles did in 2010? And then continue to fall after that? Your market analysis is flawed. iOS and Android is growing, but wont replace consoles. Stupid agenda driven data sheets like this just spread lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.