Question Nvidia Container constantly writing TB to C-drive SSD?

Aug 18, 2021
Hi All,

I've noticed in Samsung Magician the total terabytes written (TTW) by my 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD has been increasing.

I initially noticed back at the end of July 2021 that my TTW for my SSD was around 145TB, when I was thinking about getting an M.2 drive.

Since then this has been increasing by almost a TB a day and my initial online searches for the culprit point towards Shadowplay in Geforce Experience.

I checked my settings and instant replay, recording & highlights were off but the TTW kept increasing daily by around a TB...that's a large amount.

My only logical idea is that this is the shadowplay temporary file constantly writing to my SSD as it saves and overwrites the last temporary recording, even though I have all the recording options off.

I uninstalled Geforce Experience completely, but the TTW kept increasing to the point where it reached 158.1 TTW from 145 TTB in less than a week.

I decided to disable 'nvidia container' completely and followed a guide like this:
This worked, my daily TTW didnt increase on Samsung Magician at all.

I thought I would try enabling 'nvidia container' again (as accessing Nvidia Control Panel and shadowplay is useful), so used DDU to remove Nvidia drivers and reinstall the latest driver and Geforce Experience.

As soon as I did this, I've noticed my TTW start to rise again.

As of today it has risen to 163.4TTB.

My Samsung 850 Evo has an expected lifespan of 500 TTW so it is not the end of the world - but it is a process that is constantly running the background eating up system resources and my SSD.

Would be grateful for any assistance, if there is a way to isolate what it is exactly in the Nvidia container process that is constantly writing to the SSD.

Otherwise will just disable Nvidia container again.

Posted on Nvidia forums and didnt get a reply, seems like a cemetery.

Found this other post on Tom's here too:
Many thanks in advance for any help.

Driver: 471.68
Geforce Experience: 3.23.0.74

Screenshots of Samsung Magician:

Hi All,

I've noticed in Samsung Magician the total terabytes written (TTW) by my 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD has been increasing.

I initially noticed back at the end of July 2021 that my TTW for my SSD was around 145TB, when I was thinking about getting an M.2 drive.

Since then this has been increasing by almost a TB a day and my initial online searches for the culprit point towards Shadowplay in Geforce Experience.

I checked my settings and instant replay, recording & highlights were off but the TTW kept increasing daily by around a TB...that's a large amount.

My only logical idea is that this is the shadowplay temporary file constantly writing to my SSD as it saves and overwrites the last temporary recording, even though I have all the recording options off.

I uninstalled Geforce Experience completely, but the TTW kept increasing to the point where it reached 158.1 TTW from 145 TTB in less than a week.

I decided to disable 'nvidia container' completely and followed a guide like this:
This worked, my daily TTW didnt increase on Samsung Magician at all.

I thought I would try enabling 'nvidia container' again (as accessing Nvidia Control Panel and shadowplay is useful), so used DDU to remove Nvidia drivers and reinstall the latest driver and Geforce Experience.

As soon as I did this, I've noticed my TTW start to rise again.

As of today it has risen to 163.4TTB.

My Samsung 850 Evo has an expected lifespan of 500 TTW so it is not the end of the world - but it is a process that is constantly running the background eating up system resources and my SSD.

Would be grateful for any assistance, if there is a way to isolate what it is exactly in the Nvidia container process that is constantly writing to the SSD.

Otherwise will just disable Nvidia container again.

Posted on Nvidia forums and didnt get a reply, seems like a cemetery.

Found this other post on Tom's here too:
Many thanks in advance for any help.

Driver: 471.68
Geforce Experience: 3.23.0.74

Screenshots of Samsung Magician:
Run disable shadowplay through google.
See if something fits.

Reactions: DieHorn
Aug 18, 2021
Run disable shadowplay through google.
See if something fits.

I have done this and run through the result list to get past the initial basic advice to open geforce experience and turn it off but I could not find anything that sets out how to disable it completely.

It seems the screen recording process is contained in the 'Nvidia Display Container LS' process too.

It is taking up about 900MB of my RAM too when running.

Aug 18, 2021
You should also run a malware scan, it might be some malware that only seems to be nvcontainer but is a coin miner or something.

This was the first thing I did. I run Bitdefender total on my system and have performed 2 full system scans and nothing has come up.

Is there a particular scan you had in mind?