Question Nvidia DCH driver causing blackscreen, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Nourizz

Honorable
Nov 20, 2016
So its been 1 month i researching something why every new nvidia driver wont work on my window 10 2004 (64bit) always CAUSING BLACKSCREENS. It turns out it has thing to do with this called "DCH" (im still not 100% sure if its because DCH tho). All new nvidia driver are all DCH not standard i use standard version now and work properly.
I just found something in internet someone saying "DCH drivers cannot be installed over a standard system, and Standard drivers cannot be installed over a DCH system "
So whats the solution for this? i want to install new nvidia driver.
Im very new to this kind of stuff and btw my gpu is gtx 1060 laptop version + i5-6400t. I already use DDU. Please help

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows DCH (Declarative Componentized Hardware supported apps) Drivers are driver packages that will install and run on Universal Windows Platform (UWP) based editions of Windows 10.
Built-in user interfaces or applications are stripped from the driver package so that when the driver is installed, it will pull the appropriate App from the Microsoft Store or be pre-installed on the system.
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...rivers-and-why-do-you-need-to-know-about-them

They new drivers made to work in conjuction with the windows store meaning you download driver from Nvidia and it grabs the Nvidia control panel from the store.
Moving to DCH drivers is a requirement from Microsoft for anyone developing drivers for Windows 10 going forward.
"Standard" are the old type of drivers. I don't think Nvidia make them any more.

best advice with a laptop is the go to website for the laptop and download the nvidia drivers from there. Laptop drivers are different in that in many laptops, the nvidia drivers only used for games, the CPU used for desktop. Using drivers from laptop maker might remove the black screen effect. Worth a try.

Chuck Nourizz

Honorable
Nov 20, 2016
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...rivers-and-why-do-you-need-to-know-about-them

They new drivers made to work in conjuction with the windows store meaning you download driver from Nvidia and it grabs the Nvidia control panel from the store.

"Standard" are the old type of drivers. I don't think Nvidia make them any more.

best advice with a laptop is the go to website for the laptop and download the nvidia drivers from there. Laptop drivers are different in that in many laptops, the nvidia drivers only used for games, the CPU used for desktop. Using drivers from laptop maker might remove the black screen effect. Worth a try.
Installing the newest version 3xx nvidia driver from 7 years ago laptop maker isnt actually new. Its like you telling me to give up on installing new driver. I dont know what the cause making blackscreen here. How to turn my system that work with DCH, i DONT know too
So how to install the newest nvidia driver without blackscreen ?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Using laptop drivers is generally best idea. I didn't know how old your laptop is.

do you get the black screen after installing drivers or during install?

is windows up to date as that can be a cause too.

it could be corrupted drivers
Have you tried running DDU in safe mode, uninstall drivers, load back into safe mode and install latest drivers and see if they still black screen

Chuck Nourizz

Honorable
Nov 20, 2016
Using laptop drivers is generally best idea. I didn't know how old your laptop is.

do you get the black screen after installing drivers or during install?

is windows up to date as that can be a cause too.

it could be corrupted drivers
Have you tried running DDU in safe mode, uninstall drivers, load back into safe mode and install latest drivers and see if they still black screen
Its 2015 mini pc actually sorry. I get blackscreen after installing, specially after restarting my mini pc the usual window logo isnt there just black. The only thing i can do is force shutdown at least 2 times to get to safe mode forcefully and uninstall driver with DDU. I have test it, the driver isnt corrupt, even i do sfc/ scan. The black screen is the problem and audio play properly
Im currently in 446.14 STANDARD driver installing 472.12 causing blackscreen so probably the window update isnt the cause
Actually, what is DCH system ? Just how i install it in my windows ?

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
this-dch-driver-package-is-not-compatible - did you happen on the Itbros article in your 1 month of research? Only asking - sometimes you try everything and it dun work.

If you've tried everything - perhaps it's 'abandonware' eg. old stuff that simply wasn't economic to fix. i5-6400t q3 2015 6th generation - 7 years old.

Could've been 'retired' by oems. Well some older kit still has all the drivers available and notes archived and available on the manufacturer's website.

What's the Make and Model of the laptop? It might be possible to search it's origins. If it's really proprietary then it might also be hard to identify or find the correct versions of the drivers. Companies go out of business in the tech sector sometimes. If it isn't supported by anyone anymore it might be impossible to fix.

DCH is (Declarative Componentized Hardware supported apps). Which means it's meaningless technobabble. For goodness shakes - it's only a gpu driver.

Chuck Nourizz

Honorable
Nov 20, 2016
this-dch-driver-package-is-not-compatible - did you happen on the Itbros article in your 1 month of research? Only asking - sometimes you try everything and it dun work.

If you've tried everything - perhaps it's 'abandonware' eg. old stuff that simply wasn't economic to fix. i5-6400t q3 2015 6th generation - 7 years old.

Could've been 'retired' by oems. Well some older kit still has all the drivers available and notes archived and available on the manufacturer's website.

What's the Make and Model of the laptop? It might be possible to search it's origins. If it's really proprietary then it might also be hard to identify or find the correct versions of the drivers. Companies go out of business in the tech sector sometimes. If it isn't supported by anyone anymore it might be impossible to fix.

DCH is (Declarative Componentized Hardware supported apps). Which means it's meaningless technobabble. For goodness shakes - it's only a gpu driver.
i5 6xxx series is supported by DCH driver, and i can install the nvidia DCH driver perfectly so its mean its compatible but somehow it always causing blackscreen above 446.14.
Probably the problem somewhere else and not dch ? i dont know
And this old gpu driver make me cant play my marvel spiderman remastered, so yeah its pretty Important

DavidM012

Distinguished
Well if the hardware simply isn't working properly there isn't much you can do. Is the GPU discrete or is it soldered on to the motherboard? The reason why the driver's not working could be that it's simply broken. You said it was a laptop then a mini-pc.

Well laptops have the GPU soldered on the board and fixes require a soldering station and since it has to be done by a technician, it costs money and therefore needs to be economical to repair.

If it costs $100 to repair it's frittering the budget for a new build on a old obsolete system - in other words not worth it because it's really technically difficult to resolder stuff and find the exact spare components for it and you actually need quite a vast library of knowledge and experience simply to solder 1 memory chip or 'reball' a gpu. Some electronics shops can do it - for a fee that isn't worth it, if they have the parts. Maybe it would cost the same or less to simply replace the mobo.

If it has a discrete removable GPU, you can workaround it - find a new cheap (ish) gpu that fits the requirements of 'the mini pc' - and - spiderman remastered - does it need a low profile bracket? For example and install it in an available pci-e slot and disable the 'onboard graphics' in the bios if that is the case. The problem with building it only for spiderman remastered might be it's not all that good for anything else.

To be honest this kind of thing shouldn't take a month. It's basically all because the second hand GPU market is a minefield of overinflated ex-mining cards or basically done for ex-gaming gpus.

It is really simple to just disable an onboard gpu in the bios or switch out a discrete gpu and add a card if there's an available slot, if only we know what kind of PC it is. As long as the power supply unit can support it.

Chuck Nourizz

Honorable
Nov 20, 2016
Well if the hardware simply isn't working properly there isn't much you can do. Is the GPU discrete or is it soldered on to the motherboard? The reason why the driver's not working could be that it's simply broken. You said it was a laptop then a mini-pc.
But this isnt about hardware fault, we are Talking about the blackscreen because of newer driver. Like i said i use 446.14 driver and work properly except on new games

DavidM012

Distinguished
What you said makes no sense. It works properly except on new games - what old games does it work on? It either works or it doesn't.

What is the hardware? Is the GPU integrated into the mobo or is it a discrete removable gpu?

What's the make and model of the mini-pc? What is the make and model of the gpu? What's the make and model of the power supply?

System specs:

CPu:
cooler:
mobo:
Memory: Make, Model and Part Number (read from spd tab of hwinfo)
GPU: On board or discrete make and model
Drives: make, model, capacity and type:

PSU:
Case:
Any optional Fans:

Sorry I need a clearer picture to understand what you're talking about.

The Itbros DCH article again

'DCH drivers are more modern. They work with the latest Windows 10 builds (Windows 10 x64 1803 and later) and do not support older releases.'

DCH drivers don't run on older versions of windows 10 (pre 1803) - one would presume your windows is up to date from windows update. Go Start->Settings ->System ->About - what's your version of windows?

Windows 1803 update was released in 2018 - either you haven't updated windows for years, or maybe it needs a clean install or maybe your hardware isn't working properly. GPU-z for gpu info.

Last edited:
But this isnt about hardware fault, we are Talking about the blackscreen because of newer driver. Like i said i use 446.14 driver and work properly except on new games
If it works with the older driver but not with the newer one (newer is NOT always better) then stick with the older driver. You're well into the age range that your GPU no longer receives new features/functions anyway.

Chuck Nourizz

Honorable
Nov 20, 2016
What you said makes no sense. It works properly except on new games - what old games does it work on? It either works or it doesn't.

What is the hardware? Is the GPU integrated into the mobo or is it a discrete removable gpu?

What's the make and model of the mini-pc? What is the make and model of the gpu? What's the make and model of the power supply?

System specs:

CPu:
cooler:
mobo:
Memory: Make, Model and Part Number (read from spd tab of hwinfo)
GPU: On board or discrete make and model
Drives: make, model, capacity and type:

PSU:
Case:
Any optional Fans:

Sorry I need a clearer picture to understand what you're talking about.

The Itbros DCH article again

'DCH drivers are more modern. They work with the latest Windows 10 builds (Windows 10 x64 1803 and later) and do not support older releases.'

DCH drivers don't run on older versions of windows 10 (pre 1803) - one would presume your windows is up to date from windows update. Go Start->Settings ->System ->About - what's your version of windows?

Windows 1803 update was released in 2018 - either you haven't updated windows for years, or maybe it needs a clean install or maybe your hardware isn't working properly. GPU-z for gpu info.
It seems like you havent read the very first post it already said w10 2004 there, i want to install newest driver without having blackscreen. And its not hardware fault, it soldered to mobo.
https://www.zotac.com/sk/product/mini_pcs/magnus-en1060#spec

Last edited:

Chuck Nourizz

Honorable
Nov 20, 2016
If it works with the older driver but not with the newer one (newer is NOT always better) then stick with the older driver. You're well into the age range that your GPU no longer receives new features/functions anyway.
If older driver doesnt have problem with newest game i wont bother update the driver. The Blackscreen problem still exist and important to solve it.
And who know that in the future games need to have gpu driver requirement to play it if not the game wont start

DavidM012

Distinguished
Yes I'm struggling to understand the problem or what happened.

The Zotac Z Box E-Series Magnus EN1060 was launched 2017 pre-dch so the original driver is standard get that. DCH was implemented in nov 2019 with windows release 1809.

Yet you did not experience any problem until now?

It does not ship with an operating system installed -you had to do that. Did you buy it second hand recently?

Windows 10 2004 or version 20h1 is may 2020 release. There is also a more recent 21h1 version - wonder why windows update hasn't updated it?

All new nvidia drivers are DCH

Nivdia download - link from Itbros DCH article to nvidia.com - There is a standard driver available for download. Dec 21. Release.

However your gtx 1060 is proprietary to Zotac - have you tried asking them about the driver? It might be entirely in their hands whether to continue support for it.

Several things going on however - not sure when you installed windows, or why it's not the latest version.

Never heard of it before. Far as I'm concerned I just install the game ready drivers from nvidia and it works. The regional nvidia site for my region does not offer a choice between dch or standard - only the game ready driver.

Try that instead. Don't know why it's different. Link.

Last edited:

Chuck Nourizz

Honorable
Nov 20, 2016
Yes I'm struggling to understand the problem or what happened.

The Zotac Z Box E-Series Magnus EN1060 was launched 2017 pre-dch so the original driver is standard get that. DCH was implemented in nov 2019 with windows release 1809.

Yet you did not experience any problem until now?

It does not ship with an operating system installed -you had to do that. Did you buy it second hand recently?

Windows 10 2004 or version 20h1 is may 2020 release. There is also a more recent 21h1 version - wonder why windows update hasn't updated it?

All new nvidia drivers are DCH

Nivdia download - link from Itbros DCH article to nvidia.com - There is a standard driver available for download. Dec 21. Release.

However your gtx 1060 is proprietary to Zotac - have you tried asking them about the driver? It might be entirely in their hands whether to continue support for it.

Several things going on however - not sure when you installed windows, or why it's not the latest version.

Never heard of it before. Far as I'm concerned I just install the game ready drivers from nvidia and it works. The regional nvidia site for my region does not offer a choice between dch or standard - only the game ready driver.

Try that instead. Don't know why it's different. Link.
If gtx 1060 not supported dch, why nvidia still release new driver for them while we talk ? That means my gpu still supported it
My window 10 2004 is newer than 1809 that means its no problem yeah ?
Nvidia said : "NVIDIA DCH Display Drivers are supported on Windows 10 x64 April 2018 Update (Version 1803 OS Build 17134) and later versions. "

Yes. I have already talking with this called zotac techsupport with their non-existent English. Always "You need to download from nvidia with your correct OS" three times they said the same <Mod Edit> after i explain it with 3 different replies from me. And the last reply :

"For EN1060, the graphic card driver should be notebook GTX 1060.
That should be some problem of the graphic card.
This model was discontinued many years, the ZBOX should be out of warranty.
That should be not repairable. "

Holy <Mod Edit> can you imagine that this kind of TechSupport when mine can even run RDR 2 and overwatch 2 properly. I literally explode replying using Baboon's curse language at them

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
Basically it's half the reason why people around here avoid proprietary gear and build their own rigs from parts. The strength of a modular system is you can switch out parts where a prebuild means if you try to troubleshoot it, they could argue you tampered with it and voided the warranty and boxes and consoles and such have a shelf life and you can't reuse the parts, not that you can re-use pc components much. You can use consoles as spares to fix other consoles if you're very deft with a soldering iron. The high availability of pc parts makes it relatively easy to switch out one or two faulty parts.

Everything goes obsolete with time, Sometimes the components don't develop a fault before the software demands grow.

The other half of the reason is you don't have to wait around for anyone else if you want to upgrade something - you only have to wait on the mail.

The 1060 has been succeeded by several generations already and if it's soldered on the board you can't do anything to upgrade it. Well in the end you can use it at the level of it's era but everyone has to upgrade eventually.

Take it as a warning: they currently have a 3000 series version of the Z Box which is nice at the moment but might be forced into retirement by future software updates again.

Which is looming anyway for most ddr3 era kit since windows 10 retires 2025 and it'll be hard to keep it going without security patches and updates though maybe a workaround will be found. They might probably try to exterminate it. Well arguably some old kit needs to go into a grinder because ppl are so loth to let go of it.

Well some people tear them down in acid to retrieve the gold from the circuitry. When you have a mountain of waste, make trash into treasure. It all depends what's economical at the time. And chemically hazardous.

Chuck Nourizz

Honorable
Nov 20, 2016
Basically it's half the reason why people around here avoid proprietary gear and build their own rigs from parts. The strength of a modular system is you can switch out parts where a prebuild means if you try to troubleshoot it, they could argue you tampered with it and voided the warranty and boxes and consoles and such have a shelf life and you can't reuse the parts, not that you can re-use pc components much. You can use consoles as spares to fix other consoles if you're very deft with a soldering iron. The high availability of pc parts makes it relatively easy to switch out one or two faulty parts.

Everything goes obsolete with time, Sometimes the components don't develop a fault before the software demands grow.

The other half of the reason is you don't have to wait around for anyone else if you want to upgrade something - you only have to wait on the mail.

The 1060 has been succeeded by several generations already and if it's soldered on the board you can't do anything to upgrade it. Well in the end you can use it at the level of it's era but everyone has to upgrade eventually.

Take it as a warning: they currently have a 3000 series version of the Z Box which is nice at the moment but might be forced into retirement by future software updates again.

Which is looming anyway for most ddr3 era kit since windows 10 retires 2025 and it'll be hard to keep it going without security patches and updates though maybe a workaround will be found. They might probably try to exterminate it. Well arguably some old kit needs to go into a grinder because ppl are so loth to let go of it.

Well some people tear them down in acid to retrieve the gold from the circuitry. When you have a mountain of waste, make trash into treasure. It all depends what's economical at the time. And chemically hazardous.
Sorry after your long explanation but this is not about hardware issue, this is about how to make new driver work without blackscreen

DavidM012

Distinguished
drivers can only be wrote by the manufacturers. You can't make it work. So if you downloaded the notebook version of the driver and it simply doesn't work? How do you know it isn't hardware fault? If it was going to work it would just work.

Don't know how you got side tracked into all this DCH stuff anyway - should all be transparent to the user. The point is that being soldered on to the mobo - the gpu isn't repairable unless some electronics shop can do it and that would depend on them probably having another z-box to cannibalize for spares if it's even technically possible. Then it's probably completely uneconomical to do so anyway - parts and labor could be over $150.

Chuck Nourizz

Honorable
Nov 20, 2016
drivers can only be wrote by the manufacturers. You can't make it work. So if you downloaded the notebook version of the driver and it simply doesn't work? How do you know it isn't hardware fault? If it was going to work it would just work.

Don't know how you got side tracked into all this DCH stuff anyway - should all be transparent to the user. The point is that being soldered on to the mobo - the gpu isn't repairable unless some electronics shop can do it and that would depend on them probably having another z-box to cannibalize for spares if it's even technically possible. Then it's probably completely uneconomical to do so anyway - parts and labor could be over $150.
How do i know if the gpu not broke ? simple play some demanding games. I can literally play demanding games so its not gpu fault, then why it give no signal/ blackscreen Above certain nvidia driver version even though its compatible driver ? Simple, its software fault.
So no, this is once again not hardware fault. I already said to you i can play rdr 2

Chuck Nourizz

Honorable
Nov 20, 2016
Unless you have access to the source code for the driver (which you don't) you're not going to fix this. Just downgrade to the latest working driver and be done with it.
Latest version that work is 446.14 i already get crash reports playing spiderman remastered more than 4 times saying i should update my driver.
So no, i cant done with it

DavidM012

Distinguished
I looked your box on youtube - it may be repairable by an electronics whizz. Also the gpu isn't soldered on to the board it's an MXM form factor card and those things are removeable but expensive - you'd be paying over the odds about $3-400 for a gtx 1060 or 1070. It is modular.

Anyway on the list of youtubes is 1) Someone switching it out for a quadro p4000 mxm - with some driver modifications not recommended for a newb.

2) On the list is an electronics whizz repairing an MXM 1070 card - it's just a for your info possibly 'may be repairable'. - If you weigh the cost of a new PC vs the repair however potentially $4-500 for a fix (inc labor) is much of the way to a new pc anyway with far better specs.

In other words if it's even possible to fix it, it's probably uneconomical.

Well then, I see no solution to your problem. What is happening here (most likely) is that being prebuilt GPU has a modified vBIOS and that is preventing newer drivers from working. The only way to fix such a problem is through a manufacturer - but as I understand they already showed you a middle finger because it's out of warranty.

Reactions: ex_bubblehead
Status
Not open for further replies.