Nvidia Demonstrates Quad-core Kal-El Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

All I can say is wow...Nvidia was getting too pinched in the desktop market, but with all their GPU experience they are pushing the limits in mobile devices...I think home computers days are now really numbered....peace.

SEADRIVE

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Now allow us to run Windows on the tablet so we can install Crysis[/citation]

Current generation of Windows cannot run on ARM because it is designed for X86 platform. The new version Windows 8 does support ARM as well but in ARM mode, it wont be able to run legacy windows softwares including Crysis. Assuming the hardware matches the requirement to run Crysis, the game needs to be redesigned so it can run on Windows 8 in ARM mode.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Nvidia need to release an Android handheld gaming device with dual analog sticks. The PSP2 offers something but it's another closed console platform. We need the equivalent of PC gaming on handheld, and until Windows runs on ARM (or x86 goes mobile), Android could make a decent gaming platform. Current android smartphones can game, but input sucks, we need proper dual sticks with shoulder buttons for shooters. Nvidia have the GPU muscle and combined with quad core ARM, it could make for an excellent gaming platform.
I say drop cell support to get prices down, and boom, an affordable handheld gaming "PC. With mobile hardware advancing so fast it would make PSP2 and 3DS obsolete in no time.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Isn't Kal-El a copyright of DC Comics?[/citation]
The copyright issue of Superman intellectual property has been in legal battles between Time Warner and the estates of Shuster and Siegel.
No matter who owns the copyrights, I don't think that can stop Nvidia from using it in a product code-name. Now a fullfledged product name, that's a different story.

Now Intel and AMD have integrated GPU's that are good enough for very light gaming (Joe Public's home desktop) NVidia knows its days are numbered in the lower end volume discrete GPU market so options like these are important for their survival.

Hopefully reality meets their hype.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]Check out this video, Kal-El beats Core 2 Duo T7200 @ 2.0 GHz in CPU benchmark:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VATNyBTPltI[/citation]
The benchmarks are tainted. The core2 benchmark is running on an old unoptimized coremark, while kal-el is on a newer build with optimizations.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nvidia-s-Kal-El-Quad-Core-ARM-Chip-Is-Actually-Slower-Than-Intel-s-Core-2-Duo-T7200-185406.shtml
http://www.ilsistemista.net/index.php/hardware-analysis/10-published-kal-el-performance-is-nvidia-soc-truly-faster-than-a-core2-.html

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]The benchmarks are tainted. The core2 benchmark is running on an old unoptimized coremark, while kal-el is on a newer build with optimizations.http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nvi [...] 5406.shtmlhttp://www.ilsistemista.net/index. [...] ore2-.html[/citation]

Thanks for correction, I was surprised to see Kal El beating Core 2 Duo so i had doubts about it especially when it comes to nVidia.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]This is practically PS3/XBX360 graphics but at full HD 1080p judging from native size of the video. Unbelievable.[/citation]
Ya, it's certainly getting amazingly close. We'll probably see PS3/XBox360 level graphics performance in high-end SOC's within the next 1 to 2 generations.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
It'll be interesting to see a mobile processor battle similar to Intel v AMD. Each company will keep upping the number of cores. Will we see an 8 core ARM processor before we see an 8 core desktop processor?

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]GreaseMonkey_62[/nom]It'll be interesting to see a mobile processor battle similar to Intel v AMD. Each company will keep upping the number of cores. Will we see an 8 core ARM processor before we see an 8 core desktop processor?[/citation]
Bulldozer should be out in a few months with 8 cores. What counts as desktop anyway, Intel and AMD have had 8+ cores in chips for quite a while.
They should make the jump to A15 cores before making an 8 core SOC, with a 50% speed boost per core that would definitely be greater in more situations than more cores.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Nvidia need to release an Android handheld gaming device with dual analog sticks. The PSP2 offers something but it's another closed console platform. We need the equivalent of PC gaming on handheld, and until Windows runs on ARM (or x86 goes mobile), Android could make a decent gaming platform. Current android smartphones can game, but input sucks, we need proper dual sticks with shoulder buttons for shooters. Nvidia have the GPU muscle and combined with quad core ARM, it could make for an excellent gaming platform.I say drop cell support to get prices down, and boom, an affordable handheld gaming "PC. With mobile hardware advancing so fast it would make PSP2 and 3DS obsolete in no time.[/citation]

the only thing that i don't like about advancing hardware is that it doesn't force developers to optimize the engines. let me put it this way.

lets pretend its 2005, can you imagine crysis 2 running on that hardware? i mean graphically, as we all know it can.

i hate when developers plan a game, release it so unoptimized that they expect that future hardware will play it.

crysis 1 plays worse than crysis 2 and the graphics are about equal. thats the difference between un optimized and optimized engines.

id hate it if app developers did that crap where every 6 months i couldn't play new games because the hardware advanced.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]So it looks like Kal-El/Tegra 3 is about two times as fast as the iPad 2. So I guess it's fair to say that the Tegra 3 kicks iPad's ass?[/citation]
Kal-El has a quad-core Cortex A9 compared to the dual-core in the ipad2, but no one knows for certain how Nvidia's updated GPU will stack up against the SGX543.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS