Nvidia Desktop GPUs Hit 40-nm

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm waiting for something like this. A low profile card that runs on 8lane PCIe would be a perfect CUDA co-processor for all the 1U and 2U [upright low profile] compute nodes that we run the Physical Sciences.

It wouldn't be a c1060 or Firestream but that are millions of cheap compute nodes out there run by cash-strapped researchers. $60 a pop or less isn't too tough a sell if we can revitalize aging clusters. It's not often a researcher gets enough $$ to build a cluster.. they run them into the ground. CUDA looks like it might change the cycle by offering a cheap upgrade mid-life for our clusters.

tonkatuffmofo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
[citation][nom]downer88[/nom]Alright 40nm. Would be cool to be able to have a high end graphics card that doesn't use as much power as the rest of my PC![/citation]

Power usage?? who gives a flying f*car* about power usage really?? Smaller processes mean more transistors means more graphics horsepower means big smile on my dial. To hell with the power bill!!!! Give me more Horsepower!!!

euphoria

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]tonkatuffmofo[/nom]Power usage?? who gives a flying f*car* about power usage really?? Smaller processes mean more transistors means more graphics horsepower means big smile on my dial. To hell with the power bill!!!! Give me more Horsepower!!![/citation]

I do? May as well minimise my carbon emmissions as well as saving money on the electricity. I'm guessing your parents pay for yours. Also less power usage means your computer runs cooler and quieter, which means if you wanted you could push it further.

I do agree that they're ugly cards, but so is the 4770 and that really is the least of my concerns.

tonkatuffmofo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Parents pay??? Mwahahhaa I am a parent x 2.

Put it in perspective a little bit here, cost of running your average gaming rig all day every day for an entire year $122 US Dollars.
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3458&p=3

Thats 8760Hrs of use. The average gamer probably runs there system for a third of the year as a rough yardstick (2190Hrs). Thats $40 for an entire year.
Thats a tank of fuel for the car where I come from, how many tanks of fuel do you go through a year? And out of that whole $40 for the year how much of a difference is say a 15% more efficient video card gonna get you? Maybe $4 over a year and thats being very generous with my figures. I can get a block of chocolate for $4 (when its on special).

Carbon footprint, what a crock of s!@$%t catchphrase that is.
The amount of pollution pumped into the air by a coal fired power station to power a town of 2000 people is in the thousands of tons a year bracket, if not 100's of thousands of tons.

Meanwhile a new nuclear powered submarine supplying the same amount of enrgy to feed that town can run around the earth day in day out for 30 years on a nuclear core no bigger than the bin in your kitchen. To bury that core along with 3 or 4 hundred litres of primary coolant so deep in the ground its never going to bother anyone is a hippies worst nightmare. But the MILLIONS of tons of pollution that the coal fired plant would spew into the air over a 30 year period is considered the lesser of two evils.

Honestly put things in perspective and the power use of a video card becomes almost irrelevant.

Do they teach you this in school? :)

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
eh, I admit to being an nVidia fan -

but seriously - that card in the pic up there is one fugly card!

- at least extend the fan shroud over the rest of the card or something (even if it's slitted for breathing purposes).

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Just try a 4770 and experience the true awesomeness of the 40nm. Anyway, next year Global Foundries will be releasing Ati cards at 28nm(if TSMC continue with their yield problems, the 28nm GloFO GPU's might be released as early as Q1).

tonkatuffmofo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
[citation][nom]euphoria[/nom]Also less power usage means your computer runs cooler and quieter, which means if you wanted you could push it further.[/citation]

My computer is already pushed as hard as it can go.
It does run cool, 6 case fans , a 120mm cpu cooler, dominator ram fan, and N/bride fan make certain it does.
As far as the noise go's, thats what my X-Fi fatality soundcard and $300 sennheiser headphones are for silly.

euphoria

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]tonkatuffmofo[/nom]My computer is already pushed as hard as it can go.It does run cool, 6 case fans , a 120mm cpu cooler, dominator ram fan, and N/bride fan make certain it does.As far as the noise go's, thats what my X-Fi fatality soundcard and $300 sennheiser headphones are for silly.[/citation]

Okay, maybe it doesn't apply to you and that's fine. I'm happy that you are able to have such a pleasurable gaming experience, however I'm sure that you understand that many people aren't able to have that experience, or would want to achieve what you have in a different way, and cooler graphics cards is one way they could achieve that.

Status
Not open for further replies.