Nvidia: DirectX 11 Won't Define GPU Sales

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"our sources tell us that ATI is about to hand our ass to us on a silver platter, it's not looking good"

-Nvidia

GPGPU is going to take off any minute now, really, lots of specialized applications, well... not really, just some video transcoders, but still, CUDA powered video transcoders are going to propel sales through the roof... Come on shareholders...

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Ehsan W[/nom]are you sure you don't mean the HD 4xxx series Curnel_D?[/citation]
No. The 48xx series competed with the GTX series pretty well.

Funny, I think ATI said the same thing back when the X800 GPUs didn't support Shader Model 3.0 (DX 9.0c), but the GeForce 6800 did. Anyway CUDA will probably be made irrelevant if coders make programs to use the Compute Shaders in DX11 instead.

Suzaku

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
I guess it's settled then, I'm purchasing ATI cards now. I have 8800 ultra and was planing on getting 395 (or equivalent), but if Nvidia is not focusing on gaming then I don't feel obligated on supporting them.

G

Calm down guys, Nvidia may not support DX11... yet, but they do support or can run OpenCL. Take a quick google search of OpenCL. You'll see that Nvidia (and AMD) have both demo'd running apps using OpenCL on their GPU's.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Hmm well i know the only reason I am buying a new Graphics card is for PC Games. Other than PC games I got not reason to upgrade out of my 8800gt

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]I mourned the loss of 3dfx but I won't mourn the loss of Nvidia if they disappear.Go ATI !. Looking forward to the Radeon 5800 cards[/citation]

You need competition to keep prices down.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Nvidia you are seriously disappointing me. Not only is ATI rubbing your face that their 5800 series will dominate but you are whimpering and saying it doesn't matter because gaming is pointless.

This also hurts vendors like EVGA who I've always been loyal too for Nvidia products. I may just end up switching to Asus/ATI. Eat my dust Nvidia.

G

We should correct some facts. NVidia does have working OpenCL on GPU ( it doesn't support doubles - but its optional extension ). OpenCL is really CUDA made open standard - so it was easy for NVidia to have OpenCL support. ATI on the other hand doesn't have working OpenCL. ATI OpenCL implementation is working on CPU only - so it's really not useful. They don't have OpenCL working on GPU ( there may be some major problem with 4xxx series making OpenCL impossible or really hard to implement )

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
it does feel strange to see Nvidia like this for so long. Yes, they have provided some fine gaming cards over the past two/three years, like the first DX10 card, the 8800GTX, which ATI couldn't match with its power and heat hog 2900XT, then they brought us the excellent and affordable 8800GT and the cheaper 9600GT and now they have the GTX 275 which I've read is good competition against ATI.

But then you look at the GPU failures, the refusal to bring 10.1 cards to market therefore holding the gaming industry at DX10 becasue that's the lowest common denominator, the rebranding of old cards, and now this DX11 "Hey, look, a three headed monkey!" kinf of talk.

Sure it can happen to anyone, Intel had the Pentium Fdiv problem back in the early nineties, the Pentium 4 prescott a few years ago, but they're fine otherwise. ATI really hasn't had a bad graphics card like Nvidia's 5 series which were terrible with DX9, and they have always invested more in video quality.

For the past few years magazine reviews give the best video quality to ATI (HQV tests), which makes it a favourite for the ever growing media center business, and now they are very competitive in the gaming department too. Their current success is comparable to their 9600/9700/9800 series from 2002/2003. Their next series X700/800 were comparable to that of Nvidia (remember the good X800 GTO, X850XT, etc), then came the X1xxx series, which were again competitive in the midrange, the HD2xxx were only competitive in the midrange (though transition to DX10, but hey, perhaps they were actually working on it, as we can see in the next series which brought DX10.1), the HD3xxxx brought them back with good performance and good value for 90% of gamers, and then they blew the price dogma with their fabulous HD4xxx series.

I'm waiting for the 5xxx series. Just to be clear, until now I was a loyal Nvidia customer, never had any problems, but when it came to doing a media center I chose an ATI HD4550, HDMI, passively cooled, amazing 8w idle and 18,5w full load, full HD decode, and can even play Need for Speed most wanted at 1024x768 with everything maxed - not bad for a card that cost me 39 euros / 57 dollars.)

And if Nvidia doesn't get their research straight, my money to replace my noisy 8800GT Turboforce Edition will go to ATI. Nvidia has managed to get a hold of the "gamers" marketing strategy until now, but ATI set an excellent precedent with the 4 series and the 5 looks very promising. What will be left to Nvidia ? Research ? Matrox is also in a niche and nobody talks of them in the mainstream anymore. Hope that doesn't happen; we need competition; without it we have slow development, suboptimal products and high prices.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Wtf was nVidia thinking making a statement like that?! Basic marketing principles tell you not to bite the hand that feeds you, and it's the gamers who are feeding nvidia right now. Who cares if DX11 is important or not, the issue is that WE think it is, and we will buy the cards that have the technology that satisfies our cravings. My PC isn't build on necessities, it's build on sheer wants! Silly nVidia!

broketechjunkie

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Well, so much for giving Nvidia a chance. My 8800GT will now be replaced with an ATI 5870 instead of a GTX 360 (Or whatever the next-gen GTX 260 is)
Unless they come out with something mindblowing. 5870 1GB + DX11 + Core i7 + 12GB DDR3 + Win7 = Sex.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
You just shot yourself in the foot with that comment Nvidia. Been waiting to replace my 8800gts 512. It's been time for an upgrade and 2 gens of cards have already passed. The 5000 series from ati looks very appealing, my money is with them.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]"Nvidia says that special-purpose software relying on GPGPU will propel GPU sales, not PC gaming."This is as good as admiting defeat.[/citation]

you are all crazy, this is brilliant, PC gaming has been dieing a slow death, with things like the wii dominating the gaming charts, that has all the graphics processing power of a broken abacus, you have to wonder how these gpu manufactures could continue to sell really powerful gpus that cost twice as much as the whole wii console. we may think that us pc gamers are a massive market, but we really aren't and its shrinking every day. if GPGPU creates another good excuse for really powerful GFX cards to exists then so much the better! anything to increase the market (and hence decrease cost) for powerful gpus!!

having said that, nvidia are losers, they are completely incompetent when it comes to making drives, they nearly single handedly destroyed the reputation of vista with their drivers that crashed all the time, i'm not surprised that they are struggling with dx11. and there is the other thing, people will use DX11 for their GPGPU apps!! its already used natively in win7 to speed things up! people don't wanna have to use a proprietary language specific to the card manufacture! they will use dx11 and/or openCL!

G

Nvidia suffers two-percent yield on GT300 so that means that DX11 sucks.

Turas

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
We need bot to stay alive to keep them both motivated and prices low. I seem to remember seeing some of this after the lackluster launch on the 2900 cards. Everyone was saying ATI is dead and has nothing in the pipeline. It did seem rather bleak for a bit but they develpoed a plan and ran with it. Hopefully NVidia does the same. I have always bought ATI (well since the death of 3DFX) and plan on keeping it that way but by no means want NVIDIA to die as then ATI will be able to rest on its butt.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I don't know what the hell Nvidia is talking about when DX11 comes out im getting myself a 5800 to replace my 4870

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS