I'll start off by listing my pc specs:

Case: NZXT M59
Motherboard: ASUS P7H55-M
CPU: Intel Core i5 760 @2.8GHz
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 650 SC 1GB
Ram: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2133MHz
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 700W
HD: WD Black 1TB

I recently upgraded my pc with these (motherboard wasn't changed) to be able to play Steam games such as Chivalry Medieval Warfare and Warframe. Although, when I start up these games, I'm only able to run them for a good 5 minutes or less before I'm brought back to my desktop with the "Display driver has stopped responding but has recovered" error, or forced to restart my pc because there is no display.

This problem has been going on for months and has been a real headache; I updated my drivers to the latest version (yes, a full clean installation of them) and even tried disabling TdrDelay in the Registry Editor.

So if there is anyone who can suggest a possible solution to this issue, it would be much appreciated!

Solution
im not entirely sure what the cause is, it could be a faulty psu or gpu. I'm guessing gpu because an inefficient/or bad psu would often cause a reboot/shutdown. But to rule out either if you can borrow from a friend to try with would be cheaper option to diagnose. Might have to take it to a repair shop where they would have the tools/parts to properly investigate.

On the side, you can try downloading msi afterburner and force constant voltage and use kernel mode in the options and see if it helps any.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
im not entirely sure what the cause is, it could be a faulty psu or gpu. I'm guessing gpu because an inefficient/or bad psu would often cause a reboot/shutdown. But to rule out either if you can borrow from a friend to try with would be cheaper option to diagnose. Might have to take it to a repair shop where they would have the tools/parts to properly investigate.

On the side, you can try downloading msi afterburner and force constant voltage and use kernel mode in the options and see if it helps any.

Solution

TheSanto321

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013

All right, I'll try msi afterburner and ask my friend for his AMD card to see if the problem persists with it. Thanks for the suggestion.

R-ck Berlin

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
I suspect this problem is down to faulty 3d vision drivers and conflicting audio drivers that clash with internet browser settings and some games among other things. Some suggestions.

1. Clean pc with http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
2. Restore any browsers to factory defaults, wipe settings and remove any add ons
3. Type msconfig into the windows search bar and choose to boot into safe mode
4. Remove and uninstall all Nvidia software anywhere on your pc (run a scan with driversweeper) and make sure ALL Nvidia files and folders in windows/system32, programme folders, user application data etc are deleted) - .
5. Reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers and make sure to check - clean install
6. Apply Microsoft fix depending on your OS - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946
7. Run CCleaner to clean up registry and temp files etc
8. Go into the NVidia control panel and make sure (under configure sound/physx) that sound/physx is set to your graphic card and not on auto. Also change power management to maximum performance under 3d settings. I also changed all colour settings etc to use Nvidia settings.
9. If you still have problems, try uninstalling the NVidia 3D software, the NVidia experience software and HD audio software to get as close to a pure state as you need to run base game drivers.

After doing all the above and uninstalling the 3D software, experience and HD audio software my problem went away.

UPDATE - This bug came back again, so I have decided to do a complete re-install of Windows etc. While doing this I noticed something and I finally figured out what is causing this. Go into Control Panel, System & Security, Windows Update, and then go into update history. Look for this optional update - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2685811 and right click to uninstall it. At the end of the day it's faulty or NVidia's driver is - but try and live without this update first. If it's optional, clearly you don't need it and it's only causing problems anyway. I really wish I had tried something so simple before I did a complete re-install :)

If you read this update in detail you will also see this line item "Adds the IdleTimeoutType and ExcludeD3Cold members to the WDF_DEVICE_POWER_POLICY_IDLE_settings."

PS: Another method to uninstall updates http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows-vista/remove-an-update

Bingo.

bulldows95

Reputable
May 6, 2014
So what's the deal, there's really no way to fix this?

I'm on a 2011 MacBook Pro with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M.

I've been running Windows 7 w/ BootCamp for a long time. First I got this black screen like once a month. Usually when starting my laptop after it's been asleep, or when using Photoshop, forcing me to do a hard reboot to get my system back up. Then months later, it started happening once a week, then once a day, then as of yesterday -- several times an hour.

So I installed Windows 8.1 hoping that would fix things, but it just made things worse. Now it happens almost every time I open up a new tab in Chrome or Firefox. At least this time though, my display is successfully recovered most of the time so I don't have to reboot and lose all my work.

This seems to be a common problem on other forums too:

- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5011311
- https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/709328/geforce-drivers/nvidia-windows-kernel-mode-driver-335-23-stopped-responding-and-was-recovered-successfully/1/

Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 332.28 stopped
responding and has successfully recovered.

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
This use to happen to me ALL the time. It still happens to me till this day. What causes this is if your graphics card is clocked too high. Anytime I get too aggressive with my overclock the Nvidia Display Driver stops responding.

IDK if your overclocked or not, you may just have an unstable graphics card. But even if your not overclocked. Try lowering your core clock by 100Mhz and lower your memory clock by 1-200Mhz. See if that fixes it. If it does fix this, then that means your graphics card isn't stable at the clocks you had it at. And if your still not stable then you probably have a bad graphics card.

pcedtech

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
I had this problem and solve it by removing my card GForce GT 630 and remove all dust from fan. Put it back and bingo!! no more error messages. Working great! Also I installed the latest driver.

DotaheaD

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
I was having this same problem for a long time and what finally fixed it was running the MSI Afterburner and regulating my voltages.
I went from not even being able to play a YouTube video in 720p to pushing the very limits of the 4GB MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr card running multiple high definition video streams at once on two displays, all off the same card. Haven't had another issue (fingers crossed) since running Afterburner.
Strongly recommend you using an OC app like Afterburner to fix this problem.

dlerche

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015

Hi I run 2010 MacBook Pro, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M , and also have exact same problem, did you find any fix?
Disappears when not using NVIDIA drivers... but then i don't get high resolution nor performance.

G

What's the name of the update that I need to unistall? I can't find it. The link doesn't work.

mNm_63

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows/remove-update#1TC=windows-7

G

It only tells me how to remove an update, still I don't know what's the update that needs to be unistalled.

ilinx

Reputable
Jun 14, 2015

Look for Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11. It will have the knowledge base number from the link following it (2685811). I just started encountering this problem so I hope this works.

G

Thanks!

G

I have windows 8.1 so there isn't an update like that.

shelatpv

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Okay so for the new people looking that this thread, there is another very simple fix that at least worked for me after many else failed.

Just go to NVIDIA Control Panel >> Manage 3D Settings >> Global Settings >> Power Management and select 'Prefer Maximum Performance'. The default should be 'Adaptive'. Change it.

Do tell if it works you for guys.
Thanks.
Just

JoshRN

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
:bounce:THIS WORKED FOR ME= Fixed my driver display problem after 6 months of fighting with it.

So my problems started happening after upgrading to Windows 10 so I thought it was a windows driver issue. I tried deleting all my nvidia files and reinstalling drivers blah blah. Changed crap in reg edit, etc. Nothing worked. Then I realized I had downloaded EVGA precision X and tried overclocking my 980 and tweaking some settings. This is what caused my problem. I accidentally disabled the GPU fans...I know, dumb. Didn't realized it until I uninstalled precision x and reinstalled using default settings (no overclocking) and turned my fan profile to aggressive (fans running a lot on GPU). This solved my problem. Hope it helps others out there.... :bounce:

Garadin

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Here is how I fixed this problem.
I flashed my video card BIOS with the ASUS's official bios update utility. you can find out how to flash your card and where to get your BIOS file on Youtube.

I would try everything that is suggested before trying this, there is a small risk of bricking your card if the power goes out or your computer hangs during the flashing process.

Fauzy1881

Reputable
May 23, 2015
I got same problem,then I found this issue http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2227490/nvidia-driver-crashing-recovering.html and try my own to downclock by -100 each on core clock and memory clock in msi afterburner. And i try to run Heaven benchmark,the result was amazing, i passed all 26 test with max fps 70 and min fps 30 at medium setting. Before i downclock my gpu,i got similar error at 1st minute i ran the benchmark. my spec LENOVO LAPTOP INVIDIA GT750M

ShaktiTC

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
After loads of changes, I found the problem to be the BIOS settings. The default BIOS setting in my ASUS h77-MLE would set the PCIE config to auto, which would set the PCI-E to gen 2(checked in GPU-Z). After setting it to GEN-3 no more errors. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.