Question NVIDIA Error Code 43 for Laptop (MX150)

Jul 4, 2021
Hi. Yesterday, after idling for about 2 hours, I moved my mouse and then several seconds later, there was a BSOD, I couldn't remember much, but I was sure that the error was 3 words long, had the word "VIDEO" in it, and another word that starts with "T". Looking at the error codes online, it's probably "VIDEO_TRD_FAILURE", though I cannot verify this without looking at the logs (I can't find the right place to read the specific error code from the logs). This happened only once.

It wasn't until 8 hours later that I noticed my game was really lagging, so I tried to find out what it was and discovered that in the Device Manager, the NVIDIA GPU (MX150) had an error code 43, so the game was using the Integrated Intel GPU.
The NVIDIA GPU also does not appear on the "Performance" tab of Task Manager.

I tried the following solutions so far.
  • Updated System BIOS to latest
  • System Restore (the restore point was created before the BSOD)
  • Clean Install, twice (uninstalled via DDU, reinstalled drivers from Lenovo website)
Another thing, GPU-Z detects the card but some fields are missing, notably the GPU BIOS is unknown, clock and memory speeds are 0, and the memory size is also 0.
A screenshot is attached below.

Laptop Specs:
  • Lenovo Ideapad 320-15IKB 81BG
  • Intel i7 8550
  • 12GB RAM (4+8)
  • Intel UHD Graphics 620 & NVIDIA GeForce MX150
Please let me know if additional info is required. Thank you.

5sn.png

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

System restores don't do much, you're advised to reinstall the OS. You should fabricate your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools. You stated gaming, what game(s) were you taxing the laptop with? Is one of the ram on your laptop soldered to the motherboard? The MX150 is more of a GPU designed for mobile graphical workers, people who tax said GPU with photoshop and their ilk, not much of a gaming GPU although you can game with reduced details(the MX150 is actually a mobile version of the desktop discrete GT1030).

Jul 4, 2021
Ah, I hoped it would not come to reinstalling the OS. I do have a lot of important files scattered around my drive. I also have a lot of programs and setups for work, and I'm not really sure if I can do all those within a weekend, so I'll probably delay the reinstallation to August, when I am free from work. (Or I could just list the programs and setups I really need and start reinstalling ASAP, this Saturday probably)

I only have this laptop and I'm already used to gaming with low settings. The game I ran when I discovered this was "The Forest" which previously ran at around 45-60fps at low settings, but currently runs on the integrated graphics with 15-25fps at 720p ultra low settings. (FPS estimated just with eye). The 4GB RAM is soldered on the motherboard and I added 8GB several months ago.

Can I update this around Saturday or Sunday (July 10 or 11)? Thanks.

Apr 10, 2021
Ah, I hoped it would not come to reinstalling the OS. I do have a lot of important files scattered around my drive. I also have a lot of programs and setups for work, and I'm not really sure if I can do all those within a weekend, so I'll probably delay the reinstallation to August, when I am free from work. (Or I could just list the programs and setups I really need and start reinstalling ASAP, this Saturday probably)

I only have this laptop and I'm already used to gaming with low settings. The game I ran when I discovered this was "The Forest" which previously ran at around 45-60fps at low settings, but currently runs on the integrated graphics with 15-25fps at 720p ultra low settings. (FPS estimated just with eye). The 4GB RAM is soldered on the motherboard and I added 8GB several months ago.

Can I update this around Saturday or Sunday (July 10 or 11)? Thanks.

Hey, the same issue happened to me too after windows update tried to install Nvidia graphic driver. I actually didn't find the solution but here are the things that I tried. (I have Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ikb with i5 8250U with GeForce mx150)
I tried reinstalling OS several times with several builds.
I also tried installing (clean installing) several graphic drivers with different versions (downloaded from the Lenovo website and Nvidia website itself) but the problem is the same.
I'm currently using windows 11 insider build and tried a new driver and old driver for my Nvidia mx150 and still no solution.
I searched forums and tried some other stuff too but apparently, there is no solution to this, and looks like it's a hardware problem.

If you tried something and it worked please update this thread so I can try it too. Thanks

Jul 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

System restores don't do much, you're advised to reinstall the OS. You should fabricate your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools. You stated gaming, what game(s) were you taxing the laptop with? Is one of the ram on your laptop soldered to the motherboard? The MX150 is more of a GPU designed for mobile graphical workers, people who tax said GPU with photoshop and their ilk, not much of a gaming GPU although you can game with reduced details(the MX150 is actually a mobile version of the desktop discrete GT1030).

Yeah, a reinstall of OS did not solve the problem.
I think it's now a hardware fault at this point and should I take this to a repair shop?