Nvidia Game Ready Driver For 'Just Cause 3' And 'Rainbow Six Siege' Out, AMD Driver Forthcoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatchingUser

Reputable
May 29, 2015
I don't see a massive difference between the gameworks waves and the waves in BF4. I mean praising something that has been around years and shouting next gen isn't very honest.

hpram99

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
How do I jump on the stable release train? This game-ready crap is annoying, I don't need a 300MB+ driver every 2 weeks when I don't play games.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"How do I jump on the stable release train? This game-ready crap is annoying, I don't need a 300MB+ driver every 2 weeks when I don't play games."

Agreed. I'm sure Nvidia and AMD arent too happy about having to put together a new set of drivers every couple of weeks either. There have been rumors that DX12 may help in this area, but I'm not holding my breath.

eltoro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Which video card are you using?

lun471k

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Why's AMD always behind NVIDIA when it comes to driver updates?
Lately I wouldn't quote NVIDIA as too far ahead from AMD. The majority of those driver updates are not even stable for most users.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"Why's AMD always behind NVIDIA when it comes to driver updates?"

Supposedly NVIDIA's driver development team is many times larger than AMD's. There are some indications with the last company restructuring that the graphics division might start providing more frequent driver updates.

What I miss are the old CAP updates that AMD used to do which would allow them to release CFX profiles quickly, and usually without a brand new driver to install every two weeks for the latest AAA title. My guess is that with game engines becoming more and more complex that CAPs are no longer possible without some optimization of the base driver code, necessitating a full driver release.

Some of which is to blame on NVIDIA's GameWorks---it seems like AMD's driver team has to go back and optimize the drivers for the latest tesselation-intense GW title every single time.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"Lately I wouldn't quote NVIDIA as too far ahead from AMD. The majority of those driver updates are not even stable for most users. "

I havent had a single issue with stability recently and I've updated every time theres a new "Game Ready" driver available. Often not even rebooting after install. Now, the Day 1 Fallout 4 Nvidia drivers were a disappointment with its extremely poor SLI support (very low 2nd GPU usage unless you manually changed to "Force AFR 2"), but it didnt crash the game for me.

Its pretty disturbing though that I have to change/update the complete display driver package every time theres a brand new game out. Just seems like a horribly inefficient way of doing things.

troger5troger5

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Just tested fallout 4 sli profile. 2 titans 4k running everying ultra overclocked 3930 at 4.4. Smooth as silk on my 65 in 60hz display. Single card would cut it but pales to sli...........

thanks Nvidia!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
"Why's AMD always behind NVIDIA when it comes to driver updates?"

Supposedly NVIDIA's driver development team is many times larger than AMD's. There are some indications with the last company restructuring that the graphics division might start providing more frequent driver updates.

What I miss are the old CAP updates that AMD used to do which would allow them to release CFX profiles quickly, and usually without a brand new driver to install every two weeks for the latest AAA title. My guess is that with game engines becoming more and more complex that CAPs are no longer possible without some optimization of the base driver code, necessitating a full driver release.

Some of which is to blame on NVIDIA's GameWorks---it seems like AMD's driver team has to go back and optimize the drivers for the latest tesselation-intense GW title every single time.

now this is from amd, but apparently the moment you sign on for game works you were barred from working with amd due to contracts, at least if amd is to be believed on how devs work with them.

i really wish gameworks would just die, it adds nothing but horribly coded effects to the game, largely to screw with older nvidia cards and amd cards, one side to give you a reason to "upgrade" and the other to punish you for not going nvidia.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"now this is from amd, but apparently the moment you sign on for game works you were barred from working with amd due to contracts, at least if amd is to be believed on how devs work with them."

I believe that Gameworks hidden contract rumor was debunked a while ago---some AAA title guy said that they had called AMD trying to get them to take a copy of their nearly finished game to work on drivers for months, and never got any reply. I think the only real problem with Gameworks is that they clearly emphasize the strengths of Nvidia's hardware to the detriment of AMD's stuff (heavy tessellation). Yeah, we've had bugs as well, but I think once devs get a handle on the libraries and they mature further, things will get better.

Or AMD can simply go for more robust tessellation hardware the next gen, nullifying the negative effect of GW on their cards.

In any case, its fairly obvious that Nvidia has far more resources dedicated to driver development than AMD. My hope is that with the restructuring of the company and the recent complete overhaul of the CCC to "Crimson" that this signals the start of more frequent driver updates/resources.

I find I just can't get excited about NVidia driver updates. Their 'Fallout 4 ready' driver cashed far more often than 352.x. In fact, so far, every time I've updated it has made things worse. Love my GTX 970, but I never had this much trouble out of my AMD cards and drivers. :/

Regardless, I know 352 is solid for my system. I'll keep trying til I find a more up-to-date driver version that equals or exceeds it's stability. I'm sure once the holiday game releases are done and the driver refinements mature it will be much better. Such is the nature of the beast. :)

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"but I never had this much trouble out of my AMD cards and drivers. :/"

I didnt have any crashes using the day 1 Nvidia drivers, though as noted, SLI *stock* settings performance was nonexistant (Use AFR2)

The AMD drivers didnt crash either (for me), but the performance was horrid, and of course, CFX support wasnt there. Plus, the new Crimson drivers (and the subsequent betas) broke the compass in Fallout 4, and AMD has only managed to fix it for the 3xx series and Fury. I have 290 series cards, and they reported they are still "looking into it". Probably Gameworks issue.

eltoro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD fanboy look for so many excuses and conspiracy theories to blame NVIDIA for why AMD can't cope effectively with current games.
Some of these ideas might be true, BUT, I think that the biggest issue slowing AMD graphics driver team down is the size of the team. They just don't have the financial power to invest in a team as large as NVIDIA's. Better technology or not, the bottom line is still the same, many games run slower in AMD cards. AMD people criticizing GameWorks should be aware that is does pack visual benefits, at least to mainstream+ cards. The Witcher GameWorks worked wonderfully for me running a GTX 970 (EVGA factory overclocked FTW edition) @ 1080P (almost totally maxed out settings at FPS ~50). So cry and look for excuses and other companies to blame, this technology is real and it does have its advantages.
True, it does use technologies NVIDIA cards are built with and optimized for, but why won't NVIDIA do that? Why should they hold back on the features just because AMD hasn't invested in these technologies (as in purchasing PhysX) when they could give their customers a better experience by fully utilizing their cards hardware?
So yeah, you can be a biased fanboy and down rate this post, or you could consider my words logically.

I'm just not fond of the role drivers play in games today. If you ask me, it should be the developers of these titles who actually program the logic into these games to perform well on Nvidia, AMD, and Intel GPUs, but we don't see that. What we see are sloppily-programmed titles that result in AMD and Nvidia to release drivers for specific games.

I didn't PC game 10-15 years ago, but I reckon it was different back then. If developers took their time with games and programmed them properly, we wouldn't need fancy drivers from the hardware companies to fix things. Hardware companies should not be blamed for poor performance in a game, the developers should.

Status
Not open for further replies.